•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Question please: Orion X10I Altitude Encoder radius reading too high.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Zorbathegeek

Zorbathegeek

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 February 2020 - 08:40 PM

I've scanned through various discussion threads relating to teething problems with Orion Intelliscopes, but haven't found this one addressed, I've emailed Orion twice with no answer to the first email and an automated response to the second over a week ago. Basically, everything seems to be working okay except the Altitude Encoder. When I do the encoder test the radius reading is between 135 and 165. The instruction manual says that, "if the number goes above 125, then the encoder disk and magnet may be too close too each other." However, it doesn't say how this can be resolved. I imagined that the right hand knob may be too tight but this doesn't seem to be the case, as, if I loosen it, the encoder doesn't read at all. I've been getting some quite low warp factors but the scope is still missing its targets by a couple or more degrees. Any help with this would be most appreciated. 

Thanks, Ray.

#2 Starkid2u

Starkid2u

Apollo

• Loc: East Syracuse, NY

Posted 16 February 2020 - 09:23 PM

IF you are the original owner, then pick up the phone and CALL customer service. (1-800-447-1001). Tell them you need to speak to Technical Dept. Then explain WHY you need to talk to Technical. It will overwhelm the CSR, which is what you want. You shouldn't have any trouble getting transferred over. Lay it all out for the tech dept again and suggest that you need a new alt encoder since this is obviously not working properly. IF they bust your chops and it sounds like they won't deal, then tell them you'll be happy to buy a new one from them. They'll go along with that. How do I know all this? Because I'VE been through it THREE times with them over a bad azimuth encoder over the last 3 years. I'm currently on my third encoder but that's the way it goes. As long as my story sounded straight and I was going to BUY one, they worked with me. Are they being cheap? No. They just don't make a lot of spare parts for the Intelliscope units. That's why. Don't be surprised if they push you on whether or not you are the ORIGINAL owner. If you are, no worries, just pony up all the relevant info they'll want. The key to dealing with them is to get ahead of them, so have a "plan of attack" rehearsed and ready when you call them. Remember, CALL! Don't e-m. They don't respond to that. Good luck!!!

STARKID2U

• Bean614 and Zorbathegeek like this

#3 Zorbathegeek

Zorbathegeek

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 February 2020 - 10:09 PM

Thanks for that Starkid. I did email them my purchase receipt. My problem is that I'm in New Zealand so I'll take your advice nonetheless. I'll need to call them in the middle of the night, local time, which will make it a bit cheaper.

Ray.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics