•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Foldable eye glasses for use with eye peieces?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 unn

unn

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 February 2020 - 12:22 AM

I wear bifocal glasses and have lot of trouble using the telescope. It is a hassle to take glasses off to look in scope and then on again to verify things in the phone app or look up data or some thing. I found these glasses on Ebay, images attached. The lens can be folded out. So I fold out the right eye to view through the eyepiece. But then if I look at the sky, can't see clearly because the lenses are reading only. So it works for scope to near vision but not scope to distant.

Any body know of any other solution?IMG_20200216_230453.jpg IMG_20200216_230521.jpg IMG_20200216_230533.jpg

#2 vtornado

vtornado

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Northern Illinois

Posted 17 February 2020 - 10:13 AM

I have similar but different problems.

I can see very well  close up. I can't see close up with my glasses on, I can not see far way with glasses off.

If you have a simple refractive error, the telescope focuser can take car of this.

If you have astigmatism, it usually does not effect high power views unless it is severe.  It can

effect low power.

I think that maybe my view will be enhanced if I keep my glasses on while viewing at low power, but most often I find my glasses are always dirty or scratched, when I try to use them viewing through the eyepiece.  Even though they are

AR coated, I seem to get reflections too.  So I find I never use them viewing through the scope.

And, I can't go between scope and sky. 

My best solution so fare is to have my glasses on a lanyard so they are always close.

Televue has a dioptrix system which is a lens that screws into the eyepiece to correct for astigmatism, but these are really expensive.  I saw a man at a star party who made a poor mans diptrix system.  He went to his optimtrist and

had a small lens ground and marked with the angle of astigmatism, he put this into a cell that he could attach

to the top of this eyepiece.  To him it was an improvement over wearing eyeglasses.

If you can't read your phone, I don't know what to do about that.  I have seen magnifiying Fresnel lenses for reading

books.  Would one of those work for your phone???

Would it help if you switche from your phone to a tablet? 7 inch android tablets are almost free, the screen

would be much larger than your phone.

#3 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 17 February 2020 - 10:53 AM

I wear bifocals but they're really just very expensive reading glasses. What I do:

I just flip my glasses up on my forehead when I don't need them, flip them back down to use them..

Jon

• izar187 likes this

#4 Taosmath

Taosmath

Apollo

Posted 17 February 2020 - 10:56 AM

I could use a pair of those glasses. I tried a search on Ebay but couldn't find them (I got lots of women's make up glasses)

What do you call them so that I can can search myself?

Edited by Taosmath, 17 February 2020 - 10:56 AM.

#5 vtornado

vtornado

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Northern Illinois

Posted 17 February 2020 - 11:21 AM

Jon must have "tight" ears.

If I keep my glasses on my forehead, they keep slipping down, then on the ground, then "craaaaaackkk", pulverized.

Hence the lanyard.

#6 Phil Sherman

Phil Sherman

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Posted 17 February 2020 - 12:22 PM

I believe the solution to your problem is simple but expensive. You need to get contact lenses that give you full correction for distance vision. Your bifocals should have a zero correction prescription with the reading portion kept the same as what you currently have. The flip up glasses you purchased should have the same reading correction that your bifocals have.

I adopted a similar solution many years ago when I started wearing trifocals. My trifocals are a nonstandard lens arrangement that made it impossible to use an eyepiece.

#7 S.Boerner

S.Boerner

Apollo

• Loc: Chesterfield, MO

Posted 17 February 2020 - 03:33 PM

Good news/bad news...

If you go to Amazon and search for "flip up reading glasses" you'll get lots of hits.  These would work with my vision since I'm far sighted.  I had a similar pair that I used to do visual estimation of variable stars with binoculars.  On one particularly difficult star I counted 20 on/offs with the normal readers.  The flip pair made things much easier.

If you need a prescription to correct your vision you might be able to go to a place like LensCrafters armed with pictures of what's available on Amazon and see if they could make corrected lenses to fit the frames. 

Post back if you are successful and let us know what worked (and how much).

Good luck!

#8 izar187

izar187

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: 43N

Posted 17 February 2020 - 09:28 PM

Yes to glasses up on the forehead, if you can.

Have done this for decades.

Light weight glasses, and/or a backstrap on the glasses really help with this.

Single line bifocals work for at the ep.

Specifically when the bifocal is rightly places down low, so it does not interfere at the eyepiece.

20mm (+/-) eye relief eyepieces are the way to go for glasses on viewing. 

Small as possible glass glasses work very well for telescoping glasses on.

They are the easiest to keep crystal clean and scratch free out in the field in the dark.

Small lens size means they'll fog up less, and clear off far quicker, summer or winter.

But you want no glasses to metal on the ep barrel, so ep's with rubber eye cups are the way to go. 

#9 unn

unn

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 February 2020 - 10:59 PM

Thank you all.

First, I should have called them "flip down" and not flip up. I bought them from this link: https://www.ebay.com...872.m2749.l2649. The metal frame of this device does not have a screw to open and replace the lens. Otherwise I would have just put my bifocal in it and solve all the problems.I checked at several eye glass stores to see if any body sells similar frame. NO and they would not touch this frame.

The problems are not as simple as described by you all. Looking through the eyepiece without glasses is not a problem. The focusing will compensate for the reading component. Looking though the binoculars or the telescope with glasses does not work. It increases the distance between the pupil and eye piece glass which causes FOV etc problems, I cannot describe technically what to call them.

You see, my old age results in me needing no glasses at the scope, reading glasses to maneuver the scope, look at the phone apps or read any papers and distance correction to look at any thing in the sky.

I cannot tolerate contact lenses because of dry eyes. Yes, some day when I get cataract surgery and get one of those fancy expensive IOL that has auto focus will solve the problem.

Slipping the glasses up over the forehead would be some thing to try. In this winter time, I wear a thick hat. Also, I put a head light over the hat for light / red light when I need it. I will have to think of a way to hold my glasses on the head some how. May be put some sort of extension on the temple legs.

Thought of while I was typing this, putting a magnet in/on the hat might work that will hold the metal frame. I will see how I can fix that.

I am looking into getting a pair made with a bifocal lens only on one eye and leave the other completely open without even the frame rim, then use the blank eye for EP and lensed eye for other.

• Taosmath likes this

#10 Taosmath

Taosmath

Apollo

Posted 17 February 2020 - 11:46 PM

Slipping the glasses up over the forehead would be some thing to try. In this winter time, I wear a thick hat. Also, I put a head light over the hat for light / red light when I need it. ...

I am looking into getting a pair made with a bifocal lens only on one eye and leave the other completely open without even the frame rim, then use the blank eye for EP and lensed eye for other.

First thanks for the link.

Secondly issues with hats & headlights are exactly why I can't use everyone else's "simple and obvious solution of just taking the glasses on and off as you need them".  Also I  have behind the ear hearing aids and I lost one one night when I disentangled my glasses from my hat and my headlight and knocked a $2K + hearing aid onto the ground and couldn't find it. (Fortunately a return drive to the dark sky site the next day enabled me to see it almost immediately in the daylight.)

Thirdly, I too had been thinking of a pair of glasses with only one lens in, exactly as you describe.

We are obviously  very much thinking along the same lines.

Welcome to the asylum.......wink.gif

#11 AaronF

AaronF

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Barcelona, Spain

Posted 18 February 2020 - 08:04 AM

I know someone who has glasses which split in the middle and use magnets to hold both halves together when on your face.

I just searched for "glasses frames magnetic split" and found Clic Magnetic Glasses - might be an option?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics