•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

40 hours on the Rosette Nebula

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 richorn

richorn

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Rancho Palos Verdes. CA

Posted 17 February 2020 - 12:52 AM

I haven't really posted many images in my first year in this world. Most weren't very good, and even if I thought they were, they didn't meet the standards of this gang!

I have spent the last couple months on 2 targets.  The Orion Nebula, and the Rosette Nebula.  I have about 60+ hours on Orion, but it is an HDR, so I still have to figure out how to process the data...  The Rosette on the other hand, is a nice simple narrowband nebula, making the processing more "normal".

Says the guy with no clue in the PI world!

I have about about 40 hours of narrowband data on the Rosette Nebula. After Blinking and subframe selector, it is about 32 hours of good stuff!

I used the new WBPP script in PI to get masters for Ha, OIII, and SII.  I then used PixelMath the build a Hubble Palette image.  I did a simple stretch to Non-linear and output a tiff.  A little bit of Lightroom before outputting a jpeg.

I had a couple of "civilians" in the room while I did the edit, so I know I pushed a few things.  That said, I am all about the community input on this one.  Are my stars bad?  Guiding sucks?  Camera is tilted? I also know that I pushed the SHO thing a bit. Do you hate the colors??

I also have an HSO of this image, but  will deal with that in a different post.

output test_CN.jpg

• elmiko, Ballyhoo, havasman and 9 others like this

#2 DSOs4Me

DSOs4Me

Ranger 4

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 17 February 2020 - 01:23 AM

Very Nice

#3 happylimpet

happylimpet

Skylab

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 17 February 2020 - 03:24 AM

I think the flat fielding/background is letting you down. There is a ring of grey around the nebulosity, though the centre is much darker. Sort that and youve got yourself a superb image.

#4 richorn

richorn

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 February 2020 - 03:43 AM

I think the flat fielding/background is letting you down. There is a ring of grey around the nebulosity, though the centre is much darker. Sort that and youve got yourself a superb image.

The area in question was SII.  I had no idea how to balance this!  I was truly shocked to see how much SII nebulosity there was. So I also had no clue how to balance/take advantage of the colors in that region.

Do you have ideas as to how I can?

#5 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: San Diego

Posted 17 February 2020 - 12:47 PM

this just demonstrates why staying on one object is so important. 

#6 richorn

richorn

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 February 2020 - 01:01 AM

I have a small problem with this integration...  (ok, maybe more than one lol)

I changed the name of my Ha filter at one point recently.  It was originally H-Alpha, and I changed it to Ha.  I quickly found that my saved settings for flats/darkflats were being ignored as the names didn't match.  Renamed the filter and all went back to normal.

So now I have 17 5 minute subs that don't match the naming conventions, and are having issues calibrating.  Also, the result of WBPP creates a separate integration of these 17 files.

My question:  Can I just rename the files so the filter name is H-Alpha, or do I need to change the info inside the fits header?  What does PI look at in this case to match flats and dark flats?

#7 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: San Diego

Posted 18 February 2020 - 02:11 AM

I have a small problem with this integration...  (ok, maybe more than one lol)

I changed the name of my Ha filter at one point recently.  It was originally H-Alpha, and I changed it to Ha.  I quickly found that my saved settings for flats/darkflats were being ignored as the names didn't match.  Renamed the filter and all went back to normal.

So now I have 17 5 minute subs that don't match the naming conventions, and are having issues calibrating.  Also, the result of WBPP creates a separate integration of these 17 files.

My question:  Can I just rename the files so the filter name is H-Alpha, or do I need to change the info inside the fits header?  What does PI look at in this case to match flats and dark flats?

its a little tricky. which program are you using to calibrate?   PI right?  BPP needs to be exact in my experience, but if you are doing it manual you should be fine if they are different. 

#8 richorn

richorn

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 February 2020 - 02:21 AM

its a little tricky. which program are you using to calibrate?   PI right?  BPP needs to be exact in my experience, but if you are doing it manual you should be fine if they are different. 

It is PI.  The problem is that PI creates a separate integration for the files where the filter was named Ha.  

End of day, I have 4 integrations.  Ha, H-Alpha, OIII, and SII.

My question is, how do I need to modify the 17 "Ha" files so they will integrate with the H-Alpha files.  I want to add this hour and a half back into the other Hydrogen files.  

Can I just rename them or do I have to modify the fits headers?

#9 jerahian

jerahian

Viking 1

• Loc: Maine

Posted 18 February 2020 - 06:51 AM

It is PI. The problem is that PI creates a separate integration for the files where the filter was named Ha.

End of day, I have 4 integrations. Ha, H-Alpha, OIII, and SII.

My question is, how do I need to modify the 17 "Ha" files so they will integrate with the H-Alpha files. I want to add this hour and a half back into the other Hydrogen files.

Can I just rename them or do I have to modify the fits headers?

I think you can click “Add Custom” on the BPP script and add the files with a different filter label. Have you tried that?
  • richorn likes this

#10 richorn

richorn

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 February 2020 - 07:07 PM

I think you can click “Add Custom” on the BPP script and add the files with a different filter label. Have you tried that?

Thanks Ara.  That was the ticket.  I now have only 1 integration with ALL my Ha subs. 

• jerahian likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics