•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

eBay Bargain Camera

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JoeMom

JoeMom

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 February 2020 - 02:40 AM

I was looking for my first real camera for this hobby to compliment my 6in sct and focal reducer and I had come across a Canon 10d. It’s in used condition no major wear on the body and the seller says it works perfectly. It comes with a battery, battery charger, usb computer cable, a DC dummy battery wall plug, a nice looking shutter cable with a screen, and an 8GB CF card. I know the camera was discontinued a long time ago, but the setup costs a mere $45. Can I get good results from a camera this old?

#2 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Vanguard

• Loc: Red Centre, Oz

Posted 17 February 2020 - 02:59 AM

I was looking for my first real camera for this hobby to compliment my 6in sct and focal reducer and I had come across a Canon 10d. It’s in used condition no major wear on the body and the seller says it works perfectly. It comes with a battery, battery charger, usb computer cable, a DC dummy battery wall plug, a nice looking shutter cable with a screen, and an 8GB CF card. I know the camera was discontinued a long time ago, but the setup costs a mere $45. Can I get good results from a camera this old?

I plowed through the 10D and 450D(XSi) before finally settling on the 600D(T3i), which I've had for 9 years now. The low-light performance of the 10D was passable but not great. I upgraded to the 450D because the 10D is an APS-C camera that only accepts EF lenses (and not EF-S—that came on later models); I then upgraded to the 600D because it supports higher ISOs, has much lower sensor noise, and has a swivel rear LCD. With an all-metal body, the 10D is way heavier than either the 450D or the 600D. I also don't think the 10D supports LiveView output, which you'll need for planetary capture…

BQ

#3 Xplode

Xplode

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 17 February 2020 - 12:27 PM

Seems like a waste of money, it's a crappy old camera with lots of noise and there's also no liveview on that camera so you will have a hard time getting good focus.

#4 coinboy1

coinboy1

Apollo

• Loc: Tulsa, OK

Posted 17 February 2020 - 03:52 PM

I would recommend a Canon 40D or higher with live view that can be obtained on FB or CL for $80-$100.

#5 JoeMom

JoeMom

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 February 2020 - 04:31 PM

Ok I found a cheap 1000D with battery and charger. Would this work well enough. It has live view I presume. Only thing wrong is error 05, no flash.

Edited by JoeMom, 17 February 2020 - 04:35 PM.

#6 piaras

piaras

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Niagara Region

Posted 17 February 2020 - 10:33 PM

Make sure that you remember that the older cameras are supported with 32 bit programs and drivers, not 64 bit. Review your equipment and programs that you might use as well. 

I started with the XT, moved to T3i and now 6D. Naturally my computers changed from Vista 32 bit to Win 8.1 / 10 Pro 64 bit for data capture and Linux 64 bit for Pixinsight. 

Other than the cameras, just about all my equipment I bought used to save for other equipment. It does get expensive!

Sometimes being frugal is too cheap. So buy smart!

Pierre

#7 JoeMom

JoeMom

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 February 2020 - 11:32 PM

Make sure that you remember that the older cameras are supported with 32 bit programs and drivers, not 64 bit. Review your equipment and programs that you might use as well. 

I started with the XT, moved to T3i and now 6D. Naturally my computers changed from Vista 32 bit to Win 8.1 / 10 Pro 64 bit for data capture and Linux 64 bit for Pixinsight. 

Other than the cameras, just about all my equipment I bought used to save for other equipment. It does get expensive!

Sometimes being frugal is too cheap. So buy smart!

Pierre

So my windows 8 laptop won't be able to connect to the camera through any means? I won't have live view or anything on my computer? Its a 64-bit. but the camera I'm planning on buying is an XS not an XT.

'

Edited by JoeMom, 17 February 2020 - 11:37 PM.

#8 piaras

piaras

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Niagara Region

Posted 18 February 2020 - 06:16 AM

You should be fine with 1000D. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics