•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

possible to use the starsense's camera as an autoguider via PC

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gfunkernaught

gfunkernaught

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: New York

Posted 17 February 2020 - 02:46 AM

so i just got stellarium to recognize and control my Celestron 8se on the alt-az mount and was very impressed with the results.  i selected Leonids and clicked slew and verified it was correct using SkyMap on Android.  this was using a USB cable and special drivers to emulate a com port and the starsense hand controller.  i noticed that over time the reported position of my mount (the bronze crosshair) in stellarium drifts off target.  the mount also reports that it wobbles when i zoom in all the way into my target.  the tracking rate is set to sidereal, but i could not find the option for track mode.  the default nexstar hand controller has the tracking mode option but when i set it to alt-az it does not save my setting and goes back to off.  if i select eq-north it does however save my setting.  but back to my initial question that is the title of this post.  since the starsense is a camera, is it at all possible to use the starsense camera via usb and autoguiding software in conjunction with stellarium?  

#2 ZL4PLM

ZL4PLM

Vendor - ZWO Product Dev Team Member

• Vendors
  • Loc: Darfield, New Zealand

Posted 17 February 2020 - 04:04 AM

nope only the hand controller communicates with it .. its proprietary as well so won't communicate with anything else sorry

#3 gfunkernaught

gfunkernaught

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: New York

Posted 17 February 2020 - 11:10 AM

i read on celestron's website "not at the moment" and that the focal length wouldnt work.  worth a shot.  but how about using software as a guider?  im figuring that say my laptop has up to date position data about the objects in the sky and it can control my mount.  is there software out there than can assist with tracking?

#4 skaiser

skaiser

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: dallas Texas

Posted 17 February 2020 - 11:33 AM

Phd2 is one of the mainline TRACKING programs.

the Asiair pro is a smart box dedicated for use with zwo cameras to perform picture taking and tracking

you can research them on this forum or other online sources.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics