•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Alternatives to Astrobin in SGP

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 kathyastro

kathyastro

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Nova Scotia

Posted 17 February 2020 - 08:28 AM

Looking for practical solutions to the Astrobin fiasco.  SGP will centre on coordinates from either Astrobin or DSO-Browser.  And I note that DSO-Browser has (recently?) been renamed Telescopius.

I stayed at version 2.6 of SGP because they wanted me to pay again for a newer version.  It is a question of cost-justifying any new features.  This may be the feature that pushes me over the edge to upgrade.

So my question is, will the current version of SGP (3.1, I believe) accept a Telescopius URL for targeting?  Version 2.6 will not accept it.

Edited by kathyastro, 17 February 2020 - 08:28 AM.

#2 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 17 February 2020 - 08:36 AM

From what I remember, the old SGP version would accept Telescopius information the same way......the only change was to the name of the website. And the new SGP version had not changed the name of the import procedure to Telescopius.

But the procedures still worked the same way. 

So, try doing what you have always done with DSO Browser, ignoring the name change to "Telescopius." In other  words, go to Telescopius, export the observing list, and go to SGP and import it from the DSO Browser routine. 

Meanwhile, at some point this morning, I will fire up my laptop and check out your actual question. I will see if what I just said is accurate.

Alex

#3 Madratter

Madratter

Voyager 1

Posted 17 February 2020 - 08:37 AM

Looking for practical solutions to the Astrobin fiasco.  SGP will centre on coordinates from either Astrobin or DSO-Browser.  And I note that DSO-Browser has (recently?) been renamed Telescopius.

I stayed at version 2.6 of SGP because they wanted me to pay again for a newer version.  It is a question of cost-justifying any new features.  This may be the feature that pushes me over the edge to upgrade.

So my question is, will the current version of SGP (3.1, I believe) accept a Telescopius URL for targeting?  Version 2.6 will not accept it.

Yes. It works.

TelescopiusPopulateSGP.PNG

• elmiko and kathyastro like this

#4 Dereksc

Dereksc

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Cruz, CA

Posted 17 February 2020 - 08:38 AM

Yes it does. I use Telescopius for framing my targets with multiple imaging rigs.

Regards

Derek

• kathyastro likes this

#5 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

Posted 17 February 2020 - 08:39 AM

OK, I see it has been updated, etc.....I don't have to fire up the laptop.

But you may be able to stay with the old SGP......as I said, just do your Telescopius export and DSO Browse Import, and I think it works.

I cannot remember, though......does the rotation information come with it?

YOu can actually import from almost any planetarium program, or other source of coordinates just by right clicking on the coordinates of the object, and copying, then right click/pasting into the coordinates on the target information window in SGP.

And, no matter what you do, few of the import routines carry over the rotation information.

Alex

Edited by Alex McConahay, 17 February 2020 - 08:44 AM.

#6 kathyastro

kathyastro

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 17 February 2020 - 08:41 AM

From what I remember, the old SGP version would accept Telescopius information the same way......the only change was to the name of the website. And the new SGP version had not changed the name of the import procedure to Telescopius.

But the procedures still worked the same way. 

So, try doing what you have always done with DSO Browser, ignoring the name change to "Telescopius." In other  words, go to Telescopius, export the observing list, and go to SGP and import it from the DSO Browser routine. 

Meanwhile, at some point this morning, I will fire up my laptop and check out your actual question. I will see if what I just said is accurate.

Alex

I tried using Telescopius in my old version of SGP.  It didn't work.  I presume that, if it had gotten as far as the data, it would have been compatible, but SGP rejected the URL.

However, it looks like I'll fork out the money and upgrade SGP.

#7 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

Posted 17 February 2020 - 08:46 AM

OK....don't feel too bad. It is not a full price to upgrade. And you get new focusing routines, and a few other changes to speed things up. 

Alex

• Dynan likes this

#8 Dereksc

Dereksc

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 17 February 2020 - 08:53 AM

I tried using Telescopius in my old version of SGP.  It didn't work.  I presume that, if it had gotten as far as the data, it would have been compatible, but SGP rejected the URL.

However, it looks like I'll fork out the money and upgrade SGP.

Yes unfortunately (or fortunately as the case may be) that issue came up during beta testing for the new version of SGPro.

There are other advantages to the new SGPro, focus routine - seems more robust to me and access to ASTAP for plate solving which operates faster than PS2 for me. Error trapping is also better but there are still occasions where SGPro can exit ungracefully but that is usually when I do something really stupid.

Regards

Derek

Edited by Dereksc, 17 February 2020 - 08:53 AM.

• kathyastro and Dynan like this

#9 Madratter

Madratter

Voyager 1

Posted 17 February 2020 - 08:53 AM

Although I have moved on to a different program, I will say that I upgraded to SGP 3.x at the beginning of the year. I was pleasantly surprised that it had been undersold. There were improvements that really weren't being talked about that were solid improvements to the program that made it worthwhile. For example, changes in the framing and mosaic wizard were quite welcome.

• gunny01 and Dynan like this

#10 f300v10

f300v10

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Marietta, GA

Posted 17 February 2020 - 08:56 AM

Kathy,

I'm not sure if SGP version 2 works the same way, but in version 3 you can simply type the object identifier (M31, NGC2336, ARP 15, etc) into the frame and focus wizard, and SGP will automatically load an image of the target.  You then compose your exact framing and click create sequence. 

I find this method to be easier than pasting the Astrobin URL, which I was doing before I learned you could let SGP find the target for you.

• John O'Grady, kathyastro and Dynan like this

#11 kathyastro

kathyastro

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 17 February 2020 - 09:18 AM

Kathy,

I'm not sure if SGP version 2 works the same way, but in version 3 you can simply type the object identifier (M31, NGC2336, ARP 15, etc) into the frame and focus wizard, and SGP will automatically load an image of the target.  You then compose your exact framing and click create sequence. 

I find this method to be easier than pasting the Astrobin URL, which I was doing before I learned you could let SGP find the target for you.

That's pretty cool.  I don't recall seeing that feature before.

#12 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

Posted 17 February 2020 - 09:24 AM

The advantage of the Frame and Mosaic wizard as described in post 10 is clear when you know what you want to image. 

Where Telescopius helps is when you don't know what you want to image. You can just use their filters, time and location informatin, FOV indicators, camera parameters, and such to pick several objects to image in the night.

After knowing the possibilities, however, I find it easier to just turn the F&M, rather than import from Telescopius.

Telescopius, Starry Nights, AstroPlanner, (what I call "the Friends") and such get important when you have a whole observing program (ten double stars, or twelve asteroids) you need to image in an evening, and you do not want to go through the individual process on each. 

Alex

• kathyastro and Dynan like this

#13 S.Boerner

S.Boerner

Apollo

• Loc: Chesterfield, MO

Posted 17 February 2020 - 10:22 AM

FWIW you can highlight an object in Stellarium, do a copy (ctrl-c), get into the target info window in SGP, and do a paste (ctrl-v) to populate.

• elmiko, John O'Grady and kathyastro like this

#14 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colchester, VT

Posted 17 February 2020 - 10:26 AM

I imply put the target name I want to image in the search field and it goes to it every time.

I.e. Ngc 7000

#15 kathyastro

kathyastro

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 17 February 2020 - 10:28 AM

Hmm.  It looks like SGP v3.1 can't read a sequence file from v2.6.  "Parameter is not valid".  Anyone else run into this?  Any workarounds?

It is not a huge deal, but I did have an "If I ever get a clear night" sequence that I'll have to try to re-create, if I can remember what my targets were.

#16 Madratter

Madratter

Voyager 1

Posted 17 February 2020 - 11:12 AM

Kathy, odds are the sequence was made prior to SGP 2.5. There is a migration tool that should allow you to use it.

SequenceProfileMigrationSGP 20200217.PNG

This tool is found under tools->Sequence & Profile Migration (2.5)

Edited by Madratter, 17 February 2020 - 11:13 AM.

#17 Dereksc

Dereksc

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 17 February 2020 - 12:04 PM

Hmm.  It looks like SGP v3.1 can't read a sequence file from v2.6.  "Parameter is not valid".  Anyone else run into this?  Any workarounds?

It is not a huge deal, but I did have an "If I ever get a clear night" sequence that I'll have to try to re-create, if I can remember what my targets were.

Someone just posted that same problem on the SGPro forum:

http://forum.mainseq...not-valid/11855

Regards

Derek

#18 kathyastro

kathyastro

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 17 February 2020 - 12:27 PM

Kathy, odds are the sequence was made prior to SGP 2.5. There is a migration tool that should allow you to use it.

attachicon.gifSequenceProfileMigrationSGP 20200217.PNG

This tool is found under tools->Sequence & Profile Migration (2.5)

No, the sequence was definitely created under 2.6.  And to make it even weirder, when I tried this migrator (just in case it worked anyway), it wouldn't give me access to my own folder. confused1.gif

I guess I'm going to have to to have to create new sequences.

#19 Madratter

Madratter

Voyager 1

Posted 17 February 2020 - 12:28 PM

No, the sequence was definitely created under 2.6.  And to make it even weirder, when I tried this migrator (just in case it worked anyway), it wouldn't give me access to my own folder. confused1.gif

I guess I'm going to have to to have to create new sequences.

Ah well. It was worth a try. :(

#20 S.Boerner

S.Boerner

Apollo

• Loc: Chesterfield, MO

Posted 17 February 2020 - 03:09 PM

If you need to create a long sequence a text file with the correct information/format can be imported into SGP via the Starry Nights format.  I've been doing it for years using a spreadsheet to organize the needed information and then saving it as a txt file.  All you need is a header line (in the thread below), the name of the target, and the RA & Dec in decimal minute format.

There are a couple of threads on the MainSequence forum but I think there is enough information in the following to get you going:

https://forum.mainse...possible/7195/5

PM me if you are interested and need more info or a sample file.

#21 kathyastro

kathyastro

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 17 February 2020 - 03:57 PM

If you need to create a long sequence a text file with the correct information/format can be imported into SGP via the Starry Nights format.  I've been doing it for years using a spreadsheet to organize the needed information and then saving it as a txt file.  All you need is a header line (in the thread below), the name of the target, and the RA & Dec in decimal minute format.

There are a couple of threads on the MainSequence forum but I think there is enough information in the following to get you going:

https://forum.mainse...possible/7195/5

PM me if you are interested and need more info or a sample file.

Creating new sequences is not a problem.  My hope was to recover the data in the existing old .SGF files.  Since I can't, I'll just have to do without it.

#22 Salacious B Crumb

Salacious B Crumb

Viking 1

• Loc: Greater Atlanta Area, GA

Posted 17 February 2020 - 04:48 PM

Creating new sequences is not a problem.  My hope was to recover the data in the existing old .SGF files.  Since I can't, I'll just have to do without it.

There is a backup file with a different extension. I changed that to a .SGF and got it work.

- Mikko

#23 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

Posted 17 February 2020 - 05:08 PM

What kind of data you talking about Kathy?

What is in the sequence file that cannot be gotten from the file header.....Now, it may be a pain in the butt to get it, but really, I kinda repeat my sequences all the time, just changing the targets. I really don't know how I would use the information in old sequences.

What am I missing. 

Alex

#24 kathyastro

kathyastro

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 17 February 2020 - 06:19 PM

I had a sequence of targets planned for the next month, about 5 or 6 of them.  With clear skies being rare this time of year, often with little notice, and often not lasting long, it allowed me to take advantage of any clear sky we got.  I could just start it where it left off the last time.  Not being able to read the file, I don't remember what is in there.

Not the end of the world, like I said, just a pain in the butt.

There is a backup file with a different extension. I changed that to a .SGF and got it work.

The backup file is just a copy of the original .SGF file.  It is just as incompatible as the original.

#25 Salacious B Crumb

Salacious B Crumb

Viking 1

• Loc: Greater Atlanta Area, GA

Posted 17 February 2020 - 06:24 PM

I got it work but maybe it was the other way around, going from new to old revision. 

- Mikko

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics