•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How pleasant to find a microscope forum here!

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Randy54

Randy54

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 17 February 2020 - 01:29 PM

I'm new at CN, coming here from the astronomy side of life. In my first astro thread, I happened to post a photomicrograph. This morning I was searching for User Ratings of transactions (to post a 5-star) and stumbled across this forum.

I don't have any questions or anything wise to say, but I wanted to extend my greetings to this surprise interest group and post this cross-over photo. Sodium Borate, Unitron trinocular polarizing scope with D300. It resembles M-42 in shape, a nice first post for CN / Microscopes.

Randy

DSC_7192.jpg

• stevie, Mike E., wrnchhead and 5 others like this

#2 Randy54

Randy54

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 February 2020 - 01:31 PM

Magnesium Sulfate, same equipment.

DSC_7161 v2.jpg

• Starman27, Megawatt, wrnchhead and 2 others like this

#3 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: NE Kansas

Posted 17 February 2020 - 01:41 PM

Those are amazing. In a discussion about a month ago we talked about things you do when it’s too cloudy and cold and someone mentioned microscopes and I remembered that I had bought one. A five dollar goodwill one but an antique and I cleaned it up and have been using it lately. Well just a moment ago I completed a transaction in the classifieds for a restored older one with better capabilities and I cannot wait to try it out!

#4 Randy54

Randy54

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 February 2020 - 01:52 PM

Great pair of hobbies! Exploring the infinitely large in one, the infinitely small in another. Eye candy is wonderful.

Unfortunately, I didn't log the chemical in this photo. I still have the slide and will figure it out someday.

DSC_7222 v2.jpg

• Starman27, wrnchhead and j.gardavsky like this

#5 Randy54

Randy54

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 February 2020 - 12:28 PM

It's rather odd and pleasing to see that other people like the images. This is a really trippy image with amorphous crystals. Citric acid. There's a mushroom shape on the left, rather fitting.

DSC_7162.jpg

Not to be rude, but please keep these for personal enjoyment and consider them copyrighted. I was thinking of selling art from images such as these but didn't want to put watermarks on them and spoil it for people who share my interests.

Edit: How cool! This is a crossover benefit. The lower-right of the image shows vignetting. From what I learned about photometry for AAVSO, I can make a set of flats and darks and correct the vignetting in IRIS. 10 days on CloudyNights and life is very different.

Edited by Randy54, 18 February 2020 - 12:50 PM.

• Starman27, wrnchhead, cmooney91 and 1 other like this

#6 Randy54

Randy54

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 February 2020 - 11:24 AM

Chemical unknown...

DSC_7142a.jpg

• wrnchhead, cmooney91 and j.gardavsky like this

#7 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 21 February 2020 - 11:54 AM

Wow! Mine will be here Monday at the latest, CAN'T WAIT! 

#8 Randy54

Randy54

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 February 2020 - 12:00 PM

Are you getting a polarizing scope? Which one?

"Excited 42 y/o kid", that's nice! Optics + Nature = Pleasure.

#9 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 21 February 2020 - 12:34 PM

It's actually this one

https://www.cloudyni...ns40x-to-1000x/

I am not sure of it's complete capabilities, will be my first "real" microscope outside of a school environment. 

#10 Randy54

Randy54

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 February 2020 - 01:12 PM

Oh, then you need to read about Polarizing Microscopes because you won't see what is shown here. The colors come from circular rotation of the light when viewed between crossed polarizing filters. Here's a link to the Unitron 12100 I have. Here are filters you can buy to retrofit your non-polarized scope and get much of the same effect.

Not all chemicals exhibit this property. This unnamed chemical doesn't change light polarization at all.

DSC_7131a.jpg

Edited by Randy54, 22 February 2020 - 10:56 AM.

• wrnchhead and j.gardavsky like this

#11 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 21 February 2020 - 02:47 PM

Ahh, awesome. And not too expensive. Much to learn! 

#12 Randy54

Randy54

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 February 2020 - 10:01 AM

Only an astronomy nut could see a $3500 microscope and say "not too expensive."  :)

• bsavoie and wrnchhead like this

#13 Randy54

Randy54

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 February 2020 - 10:54 AM

I don't know how this slide got so dusty; I want to make a new one. This is Copper Sulfate. Interestingly, it does affect light through crossed polarizers but does not have the rainbow look. It's somewhat similar to the color of CuSO4. Dusty or not, it's cool in its own way.

DSC_7140a.jpg

• wrnchhead and j.gardavsky like this

#14 Randy54

Randy54

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 February 2020 - 10:18 AM

Here's something funny. All of these slides are from a science fair project in the early 70's. There are 45 samples of various chemicals on microscope slides. It was pretty easy to buy chemicals in those pre-meth days when home chemistry was a good thing. The project was about crystal structures and appearance, both microscopic and macroscopic. Here are six chemicals grown into crystals for the project. Where did the time come from?

CuSO4 is upper right, much more blue than its polarized appearance. Lower-right are two crystals of Alum. one is just Alum while the other is Chrome Alum (violet) on which a layer of Alum was crystallized to show their completely compatible crystal lattices. Alum is KAl(SO4)2 and Chrome Alum is KCr(SO4)2.

Top-center looks like Potassium Dichromate from its color and crystal structure. There is no corresponding microscope slide, but there is an Ammonium Dichromate slide. The structure is similar, and Ammonium Dichromate was a favorite of mine for its excellent volcano demonstrations! Hard to tell which one it is right now.

Top-left is Rochelle Salt that gets a green appearance in some cases; it's probably an impurity but the same green hue is seen in some web photos. It is a piezoelectric crystal; one fellow accurately wrote "I grew a microphone." The other two are as yet unidentified, but lower-left looks like Rochelle Salt as well. It has various macroscopic shapes and there are three Rochelle Salt slides. Bottom-center is completely unknown.

It's amazing how well these lasted over the years! Let's see... 2020 - 1971 = OMG 49 years. The macro crystals were sprayed with Varathane for protection, but the slides just sat in the slide box the whole time - including a very hot and sometimes damp Sacramento garage for many years.

I find it rather fun to put "creative" chemicals under the analyzer. One of the slides is Microdol-X - does anyone remember Microdol in the darkroom? Fertilizers and cleaning products can be interesting, too. Get a pair of polarizing filters and you can do this with whatever microscope you have.

DSC_7560.jpg

• wrnchhead likes this

#15 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 24 February 2020 - 10:56 PM

Wow. I went all over my city on Sunday, and got some water samples. Have been looking at stuff swimming around ever since. Truly so cool. I also went to the store that sells hokey crystals for meditation and got some tiger's eye, quartz of a couple different kinds, some pyrite. This is a whole new world!

Are your crystals a solution allowed to dry out? What power are you using? Could I add a polarizing filter to my rig somehow? 

'

I will google! Those old samples are really neat!

Edited by wrnchhead, 24 February 2020 - 10:56 PM.

#16 Randy54

Randy54

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 February 2020 - 08:28 AM

Here's a link on DIY polarizing. There are a lot of sites on crystal growing. Slides are easy, just saturate some water, drip it on a slide and wait for it to dry. Look for "thin sections" of various minerals and meteorites - here are some meteorites and here are some minerals.

• wrnchhead likes this

#17 ANKry

ANKry

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Россия, Москва

Posted 02 March 2020 - 01:02 PM

In a microscope, it is interesting to photograph the sand, here is an example.
Sand from the surf of the coast of the Dominican Republic. Scale 3: 1. The frame width is about 11 mm.

Attached Thumbnails

• Доминик.251119.jpg

Edited by ANKry, 02 March 2020 - 01:05 PM.

• Mike E., wrnchhead and vertex2100 like this

#18 ANKry

ANKry

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 02 March 2020 - 01:08 PM

This is sand from the banks of the Volga

Attached Thumbnails

• Песок Волга.jpg

Edited by ANKry, 02 March 2020 - 01:10 PM.

• Mike E., wrnchhead, vertex2100 and 2 others like this

#19 Randy54

Randy54

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 March 2020 - 01:26 PM

Very nice! The difference between ocean and river is quite evident. Do you have any interesting samples from Russia? FWIW I have a Russian telescope, Intes Alter M615. People get along better than nations.

• wrnchhead likes this

#20 ANKry

ANKry

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 02 March 2020 - 01:45 PM

Thanks for the answer.
Yes, I have a photo of sand from Russia. I will post it after processing.
I had an American mount and the first eyepieces for a telescope were brought to me from America about 30 years ago.

Edited by ANKry, 02 March 2020 - 01:49 PM.

• wrnchhead likes this

#21 Randy54

Randy54

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 March 2020 - 02:54 PM

Interesting how sand has caught your attention. And me, I wonder how the sand looks through polarizers.

Вы всегда жили в Москве? Americans don't get to chat with native Russians very often.

#22 ANKry

ANKry

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 03 March 2020 - 02:20 AM

I accidentally noticed a different color of sand. Under the microscope, it turned out to be different. I began to photograph sand samples.

I was born on the Volga, but after graduation I live in Moscow.

Russians and Americans have nowhere to communicate. Between us is the ocean.
Nationality does not matter in the interest forum.

• wrnchhead likes this

#23 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 03 March 2020 - 02:55 AM

Randy, my friend suggested sand, I got some from a couple places, still have to take the time to check it out. These clear nights are taking up all my optics time with telescopes!

The moon will cure that shortly.

#24 Randy54

Randy54

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 March 2020 - 10:13 AM

The moon will cure that shortly.

Indeed. I was looking at craters last night.  :)

I live in the desert of Arizona. It could be interesting to look at sand from this area. It's not something that I considered before, but it seems interesting.

#25 ANKry

ANKry

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 03 March 2020 - 10:32 AM

In America, there are many places with interesting sand. Ocean coast, islands in the ocean, desert.
Here is the sand from Vladivostok. This is the far east of Russia

Attached Thumbnails

• Вл.Никон.jpg

• cmooney91 and vertex2100 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics