•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Ha ClipFilter on Canon Ra is it reasonable?

dslr CMOS astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 -Amenophis-

-Amenophis-

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: FRANCE

Posted 17 February 2020 - 02:38 PM

Hello everyone,

1°) I would like to know if the purchase of a Ha filter for my Canon Ra could bring more.

https://www.astronom...r-eos-r-xl.html

What do you think ?

2°) It seems to me to have read somewhere (in the TSX settings) that we could choose just the red pixels.

Very practical if a Ha filter is placed in front.

Did I understand well ?

Thank you very much for your answers and sorry for my English (google translation).

#2 mmalik

mmalik

DSLR camera modifications

• Vendors
  • Loc: USA

Posted 17 February 2020 - 05:46 PM

1. Since your camera is already astro optimized, you should get an LPS (Light Pollution filter, e.g., D2); read more here...

2. Do RGB imaging without any further tinkering.

Regards

#3 -Amenophis-

-Amenophis-

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 February 2020 - 03:52 AM

Thank you for your answer. 

Unfortunately, it seems to me that at the moment, only Astronomik sells Canon Ra compatible filters.

#4 2ghouls

2ghouls

Viking 1

Posted 19 February 2020 - 10:02 AM

1°) I would like to know if the purchase of a Ha filter for my Canon Ra could bring more.

1) It won't bring out any more signal, but it will block everything but a particular bandpass of red wavelengths around the Ha emission line. This dramatically increases contrast, greatly reduces the impact of light pollution, and opens up different techniques in processing. If your goal is to make a full color image, you could shoot through the Ha filter, then shoot unfiltered and then combine them in processing as "HaRGB". Google/YouTube "HaRGB processing" and you will find lots of tutorials.

2) Not sure if the SkyX has that capability, but if it doesn't - no big deal. You can simply extract the red channel from your Ha subexposures with any post processing program.

#5 -Amenophis-

-Amenophis-

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 February 2020 - 12:17 PM

Thank you for your answer. 

#6 -Amenophis-

-Amenophis-

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 February 2020 - 12:32 PM

And regarding light pollution suppression filter for Canon Ra, do you have a preference ? 

After looking on different websites, there is no light pollution filter except the CLS-CCD of Astronomik.

Edited by -Amenophis-, 19 February 2020 - 12:40 PM.

#7 2ghouls

2ghouls

Viking 1

Posted 19 February 2020 - 12:54 PM

I've only used the Astronomik CLS and they worked ok. These days I don't use LP filters because from my backyard in the city I mostly do Mono+Narrowband. 

This is another option for filter for the Canon Ra: https://astrohutech....filter-adapter/

Edit: these are expensive because you also need to buy the Canon Drop-in filter adapter, but IDAS has some cool filter options like the Nebula Boosters: https://www.sciencec...s/index-nb2.htm

Edited by 2ghouls, 19 February 2020 - 12:58 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dslr, CMOS, astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics