•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Controller

accessories
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mikeriche38

mikeriche38

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Downey CA

Posted 17 February 2020 - 03:29 PM

Can anyone identify the attached controller and provide any instruction, insight, wild guesses... .

any information would be greatly appreciated...

Mike

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_6052.jpg

#2 photoracer18

photoracer18

Gemini

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 17 February 2020 - 03:40 PM

Looks like the drive corrector for a Meade mount from about the 1980's. Can't tell from this picture if its for an early AC drive fork mount with DC DEC drive or an early GEM mount. The cable with the battery clips is to get power in the field from your car battery. The DEC output looks like the DC one but their GEMs in that period had AC RA drives and DC DEC drives also so they can be used in eaither type mount. The AC/DC switch on the front is for powering the controller. Should be an AC connector on the back to use it at home.

• KentTolley and DS-16A like this

#3 DS-16A

DS-16A

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: NE Illinois

Posted 18 February 2020 - 01:20 PM

After digging through my "stuff", I found an old Meade catalog. That looks like a Meade model #47M or #48RS drive corrector. They are both dual axis drive correctors. Catalog shows the #47M drive corrector is for telescope models 628C, 645C, and 826C. The 48RS is for telescope models 880, 1060, and 1266. In addition, on another page, it also lists the 47M to be used on the Meade DS-10 Deep space scopes and the 48RS to be used on the DS-16 Deep Space scopes.  Per the catalog, "The #47M and 48RS are identical units, except for larger hardware unique to the declination section of these telescope models 880, 1060, and 1266. Electronic components and system specifications are otherwise the same".

Can you post a picture of the back side?

On a side note, in the manual that came with my 48RS, it shows that any warranty or repair work would be carried out by Sidereal Electronics. So, apparently, Meade had their drive correctors made by Sidereal Electronics, or so it appears.

If you need a copy of the manual that came with the 48RS unit, I can email that to you. Unfortunately, I no longer have that drive, since some A%^&*S decided to break into my garage back in 1989 and steal my stuff that they would have no clue as to what it is or how to use it!

Edited by DS-16A, 18 February 2020 - 01:21 PM.

• mikeriche38 likes this

#4 mikeriche38

mikeriche38

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Downey CA

Posted 20 February 2020 - 08:50 AM

After digging through my "stuff", I found an old Meade catalog. That looks like a Meade model #47M or #48RS drive corrector. They are both dual axis drive correctors. Catalog shows the #47M drive corrector is for telescope models 628C, 645C, and 826C. The 48RS is for telescope models 880, 1060, and 1266. In addition, on another page, it also lists the 47M to be used on the Meade DS-10 Deep space scopes and the 48RS to be used on the DS-16 Deep Space scopes.  Per the catalog, "The #47M and 48RS are identical units, except for larger hardware unique to the declination section of these telescope models 880, 1060, and 1266. Electronic components and system specifications are otherwise the same".

Can you post a picture of the back side?

On a side note, in the manual that came with my 48RS, it shows that any warranty or repair work would be carried out by Sidereal Electronics. So, apparently, Meade had their drive correctors made by Sidereal Electronics, or so it appears.

If you need a copy of the manual that came with the 48RS unit, I can email that to you. Unfortunately, I no longer have that drive, since some A%^&*S decided to break into my garage back in 1989 and steal my stuff that they would have no clue as to what it is or how to use it!

Great! I'd appreciate a copy of the manual, I'll send a pm with my email address.... good news is I went through all the wires that came with it, plugged everything in and it all worked!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics