•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Couple of Nights Observing in Death Valley

NV
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JMW

JMW

Soyuz

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 17 February 2020 - 09:48 PM

Used our PVS14 in a TEC 140 and SVR90T in Death Valley. We were at Texas Springs campground. My SQM had a reading of 21.49. Intermittent local light pollution from neighboring campers. Observed on two of the four nights we were there. The other two nights we where exhausted and got some extra rest.

Enjoyed using the 7nm Ha filter looking at Horsehead and Flame, California, Heart and a bunch of other nebula. We also tried various other filters but spend a bit of time with no filter. The TEC 140 was our largest scope and the PVS14 made borderline faint stuff super easy to see. We looked at a bunch of dimer globular clusters and they looked pretty good. The night vision viewing was useful until the other campsites settled down to bed after 10PM. We did a bit more eyepiece astronomy once our eyes were dark adapted. 

I played around with iPhone night vision photos but nothing worth posting at this time. We didn't have a tracking mount. This summer I will bring my AP900 to Golden State and Oregon star parties and we will take some night vision photos on a tracking mount.

My wife and I were pleased with our time using the PVS14. Looking forward to more chances in the warmer months.

Edited by JMW, 17 February 2020 - 09:48 PM.

• Ptarmigan, GOLGO13, Starman81 and 5 others like this

#2 mikenoname

mikenoname

Viking 1

• Loc: Death Valley Region (Bortle 2 - SQM 21.9+)

Posted 18 February 2020 - 12:39 AM

Hope you'll be back this weekend for the Death Valley Dark Sky Festival where the Las Vegas Astronomical Society will be hosting the star party for the event.

https://www.nps.gov/...ky-festival.htm

#3 JMW

JMW

Soyuz

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 18 February 2020 - 01:11 AM

Not this year. Death Valley is a long drive from Reno and last weekend was our seventh time there. Hiked about 5-7 miles each day.

We have volunteered for Dark Sky Festival in the past but not in the last few years. My wife, son and I are in a photo doing solar with our Lunt Ha solar scope in this promotional video at the 0.53 second mark. 

https://www.oasisatd...lan/stargazing/

I am shown again in the next photo of a young girl looking in the eyepiece. We spent about 3 hours in front of the general store with our solar scope that year. We noticed that there is a lot of new construction at Furnace Creek.

We have also done public outreach astronomy with our club, Astronomy Society of Nevada, at Lassen Volcanic NP and Great Basin NP. Lassen had the largest crowds over a 3 night period and pretty good luck with the weather. Great Basin seems to have less luck with clear skies in September at their astronomy event.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NV

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics