•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

For me, one benefit of using a laptop at the scope.....

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 17 February 2020 - 09:59 PM

In the summer, I still like to be "out under the stars", and I feel like its a more satisfying EAA experience at times. I've thought about one of the small computers but until my laptop dies (I have it in a lap dome to protect from dew and light rain) I think I'll stay using it.

Anyone else like to be out under the stars when using a camera for EAA in good weather?

In Winter I do use AnyDesk and remote operation.

Edited by Jeff Lee, 18 February 2020 - 11:19 AM.

• roelb likes this

#2 GaryShaw

GaryShaw

Viking 1

• Loc: Boston

Posted 17 February 2020 - 10:22 PM

Yup, definitely prefer being out there - under it all......but for summer mosquito nights and 10F winters, being inside is just realistic if you want to enjoy the observing process. 

• Dynan likes this

#3 eyeoftexas

eyeoftexas

Viking 1

Posted 17 February 2020 - 11:00 PM

It's the only way I've done it (so far).

#4 Gregory2012

Gregory2012

Messenger

• Loc: Gig Harbor,WA.

Posted 18 February 2020 - 02:11 AM

For some reason, I am not comfortable being outside in the dark. It seems lonely and I'm not a social cat. So, at the very least, I use red lighting. I'm a dome guy I think. Go outside to fix some thing, but then go back to my office and sit at the computer. The way real astronomy is done._grin

Have a great day.

• GaryShaw likes this

#5 GaryShaw

GaryShaw

Viking 1

• Loc: Boston

Posted 18 February 2020 - 10:20 AM

For some reason, I am not comfortable being outside in the dark. It seems lonely and I'm not a social cat. So, at the very least, I use red lighting. I'm a dome guy I think. Go outside to fix some thing, but then go back to my office and sit at the computer. The way real astronomy is done._grin

Have a great day.

Hi Gregory

Here’s a photo of my fair weather set up. Unless you already actually have a dome, this might be a nice compromised since it provides protection from dew ( to your laptop, music source and papers), gives you a sense of protection from the ‘wild’ and it breaks down and is light and easy to move around. On the other hand, if you have a dome, more power to you!

cheers,

Gary

ps: many variations of this are easy to make...I have a friend who uses a tipped over recycle bin...less protection from the night though.

Attached Thumbnails

• F128D8E2-1D2A-402E-AAB8-0A5577B3B427.jpeg

• roelb likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics