•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Anyone using a Nexdome as a Remote Observatory?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lightpath

Lightpath

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 February 2020 - 10:28 PM

Hey all, I've been noodling on different ideas of how to put together a remote observatory.  One of the very strong contenders for an observatory that can be put together fairly straightforwardly (and then years from now be disassembled and moved) is the Nexdome. 

Does anyone use one of these domes remotely, and if so what problems have you run into?  If you had to do it again would you go with a different vendor?

all in all the Nexdome looks like a good some-assembly-required option, and looks to be a fair bit less expensive than other options, even after adding in the automation addons.

The site it'll be on has someone living on it year round that is willing to help whenever needed, so I'm not concerned too much with complete breakdown-  Just with how twitchy it is.  For example-  If you are using a Nexdome in your back yard how often do you have to go out and diddle with it for one reason or another?  Does it need constant tweaking or is it pretty solid?

The software I'll be using with it is SGP and/or TheSkyX Pro.  My scope is a little on the big side though, a 130mm refractor, so that may have to be downsized.

Thanks very much!

#2 deckardbr

deckardbr

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Netherlands

Posted 06 August 2020 - 03:31 AM

Commenting to get this topic back on the map. I'd love to hear from someone. I'm also considering a NexDome for remote observatory. 

Anyone willing to chime in?

Thanks

Andrea

#3 MJB87

MJB87

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Talbot County, MD & Washington, DC

Posted 06 August 2020 - 06:13 AM

Me too. I plan to build an automated dome observatory and will consider NexDome as an option (especially since Explora-Dome seems completely uninterested in responding to my repeated inquiries.)

Realistically, all I need for the automation to do is to shut down the observatory (close the shutter, stop the rotation) once imaging has ended (after I've gone to sleep). As is the case with the OP, I'll be using TSX Pro and SGPro to run things.

I'd also like details on how the dome is powered (AC vs. DC, amp requirements, etc.)

• deckardbr likes this

#4 CraigShelley

CraigShelley

Sputnik

• Loc: Utah

Posted 11 August 2020 - 01:46 AM

I'm also interested.  Just looking at the NexDome Facebook group though it looks like the NexDome is plagued with small issues.  Another alternative is the ScopeDome sold by Tolga in the U.S.

• deckardbr likes this

#5 deckardbr

deckardbr

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Netherlands

Posted 11 August 2020 - 02:10 AM

I'm also interested. Just looking at the NexDome Facebook group though it looks like the NexDome is plagued with small issues. Another alternative is the ScopeDome sold by Tolga in the U.S.

Indeed. I did more research and I’m now leaning towards ScopeDome 3M. In Europe I found them being distributed by PrimaLuce labs. They also offer (at a cost) to provide automation for the dome itself including weather sensors. This is now my top choice.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics