•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Thinking about getting the Skyguider Pro

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Arkansas Skies

Arkansas Skies

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 February 2020 - 02:14 AM

I know I need a tracking mount in a bad way and the Ioptron SGP keeps popping up on my radar and it seems to have pretty decent reviews. Right now all I have to put on the mount is my Canon 450D and 300mm lens. Maybe a little later I will upgrade but the SGP only has an 11 pound capacity so I am still weighing that in the back of my mind.

What I am really curious about is the handheld controller. I believe that it is being advertised as a database, with I assume some goto functions? I am not really seeing much about it at all and no one has mentioned it in any reviews on YT. I tried emailing customer service but that was a joke because they wont reply to my inquiries.

I was hoping that someone on here is actually using one and can give me the lowdown. Thanks!!

#2 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 18 February 2020 - 03:35 AM

If memory is right and there has not been a somewhat major change it cannot be a goto.

Rather simply there is no Dec motor to drive the mont in the Dec axis. Therefore it cannot move what would be considered "up and down". So goto would be impossible.

Really if you want imaging then it has to be an equitorial mount. Small sounds like better and for cost that kind of means the Skywatcher EQ3-2. That is about the smallest I am aware of, will say the tripod is not very good and I doubt that getting the tripod from an EQ5 would be easy.

There is the EQM-35, small but costs the same as the EQ5. Odd mount as not sure where ot fits. After those are the iOptron ones like the CEM25. Small but a little delicate in setup and costs more.

The AZ GTi can be put in EQ operation but polar alignment will be approximate at best - Skywatcher openly state it was/is not for equitorial operation - so basically if your images are not right don't blame them.

Really suspect that the used market is the place to look, after you work through the pro's and con's of each mount. Then if one appears you can act or not.

#3 doole

doole

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Winnipeg (that other outback)

Posted 18 February 2020 - 11:56 AM

I have the Sky Watcher version, and yes there is no goto. Just a relatively true clock drive (as long as you don't overload it, which is fairly easily done. 300 MM might b pushing it.) Still, pretty decent value, I thought.

Edited by doole, 18 February 2020 - 12:00 PM.

#4 Arkansas Skies

Arkansas Skies

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 February 2020 - 08:31 AM

I have the Sky Watcher version, and yes there is no goto. Just a relatively true clock drive (as long as you don't overload it, which is fairly easily done. 300 MM might b pushing it.) Still, pretty decent value, I thought.

I have seen some folks put an autoguider on the mount and getting decent results. That would be down the road for me.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics