•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

budget guidecam or use the synguider and filters

astrophotography beginner equipment mount
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 polarstjerna

polarstjerna

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 February 2020 - 05:12 AM

Hello

Just would like a few pointers and helpful tips on my setup.

Bought a second hand NEQ 6 Pro mount, with a Sky watcher ED100, Startravel 80T guide scope.  Got a canon 450D with ir cut astromod and a 600D with everything in front of CCD removed.
i also got a Sky Watcher Synguider Autoguider (II i think)  here is my first question.

I was planning using PHD2 for guiding. and i have seen guides using phd to align too. so had a plan to go that route... if not someone reccomends otherwise
Wife thinks i've spent enough on this already, so i might want a pointer for a OK guide cam that works with  PHD2.
( I don't want the best/most expensive- never going to win that battle smile.gif  just want something with walue for money that works.) 

Can even use a diy webcam for starters. (got a 3d printer so can print needed parts)

The ED100 was delivered with the flattener/reducer. this has 48mm threads if i remember correctly.
Ive got ta Cosmos 90GT and the rear peace of the focuser has 48mm to 42mm  so i can attach my canon cameras to the ED100 flattener wtith this piece.

(guess someone knows if this is a bad idea using a extra piece of tube (more distance) and a smaller "hole" for light to pass through?  (picture of the piece in mind on the GT90 and on the reducer.)

Thats the only way i can connect my camera to the ED100 as of now.. ( iknow i need a 48mm T adapter for canon)

I also would like pointers to what budget filter to get? I've got no filters as of now and living in bortle class 5 skies. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20200214_204551.jpg
  • IMG_20200215_101018.jpg
  • IMG_20200217_140055.jpg
  • IMG_20200217_140217.jpg

Edited by polarstjerna, 18 February 2020 - 09:35 AM.

#2 klaussius

klaussius

Ranger 4

• Loc: Buenos Aires

Posted 18 February 2020 - 08:31 AM

I was planning using PHD2 for guiding. and i have seen guides using phd to align too. so had a plan to go that route... if not someone reccomends otherwise

Wife thinks i've spent enough on this already, so i might want a pointer for a OK guide scope that works with  PHD2.
( I don't want the best/most expensive- never going to win that battle smile.gif  just want something with walue for money that works.) 

Can even use a diy webcam for starters. (got a 3d printer so can print needed parts)

It looks like you already have a guide scope.

Perhaps you meant guide camera? If so, and if you don't want to spend a lot of money, the ZWO ASI 120MM (both the mini and the -S) is a superb budget guide cam. The -S also is a superb planetary cam.

There are better ones, but then your budget will start climbing.

#3 polarstjerna

polarstjerna

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 February 2020 - 02:06 AM

I played with my setup yesterday.   -getting a few noob questions.

As expected I did not go from lvl0 to lvl Expert. but it was really fun, and i enjoyed laying outside in sub freezing.

Got a few things i need to sort out....

1)Elevation adjustment...  im located at 59.976832  / 1x.xxxxx  kinda think i need a wedge or something.  As said before, i have spent this months budget and i still need:
2)GuideCAM.- just for guiding, not planetary, tips for really cheapo since this months budget is spent- would be appreciated.

3) Heatbands

4) More magnification.. Barlow.. but is there a product with 48mm that can be connected directly to the Flattener, or do i remove it?

#4 jesco_t

jesco_t

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 21 February 2020 - 12:01 PM

What is your problem with the elevation? You cannot get the RA axis high enough so you see Polaris? The EQ6 has the wedge integrated, but more knowledgeable people may correct me.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, beginner, equipment, mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics