•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sucker Hole or Lights Out?

astrophotography Celestron eyepieces moon mount Orion planet tripod
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Celerondon

Celerondon

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 February 2020 - 08:52 AM

Wow, that was dramatic!  When I first thought to catch a glimpse of the Moon occulting Mars it was not a hard commitment.  Although I had a loose plan for my TV Pronto on a Tele-Pod I did not set an alarm. 

Still, something woke me up just before 3:00 am.  I checked the time and went to our balcony for a glimpse of the Moon.  Here in Pasadena it was mostly clear but I saw wisps of clouds here and there.   As Sky Safari reminded my groggy brain that the Moon was still below my horizon, my 4” Orion ED on a GEM became the preferred option.  Because of the nearby trees and buildings, the balcony looked like a prime viewing location.  By the time that I had moved everything out and aligned the mount, a dull reddish crescent moon was peeking through the haze.   To get through the trees, I had my oak tripod jacked up until the OTA was five feet high. Telescope.gif

Although my mount strategy managed to get me a clear view of the Moon, the image was boiling severely and I never saw Mars at all.  Still, I was all set up and the weather was cooperating so… I figured the reappearance of Mars might make the effort worthwhile. 

I was correct! 

After 4:15 am, I grabbed my NexYZ smartphone adapter and headed for the balcony.   I never powered the RA drive on the GP but my alignment was good enough for me to crank the RA knob until the Moon popped up in my 8 mm TV Plössl.  The lunar image was clear, sharp, and steady but I could see clouds building in the eastern sky.   I thought to mount the NexYZ for pictures but it was pre-adjusted for a TV Radian eyepiece and I decided to experience this event without the distraction of photography.

Just before 4:30 am, bang! Mars popped out and started racing away from the moon!  After a good long look, I mounted my NexYZ adapter and started adjusting the camera.  Just as I realized why the adapter was adjusted to fit my Radian, the image from my iPhone got dim and fuzzy.   (Between the improved eye relief and field of view, my 6 mm Radian is far better than my 8 mm Plössl for use with the NexYZ adapter.)  However, that did not matter because in the few short moments that It took to mount the adapter and iPhone, the eastern sky had completely clouded over!

Even without pictures, I declare victory this morning!  waytogo.gif Who else got a view of the occultation? 

• happylimpet, Migwan and Astroman007 like this

#2 Richard O'Neill

Richard O'Neill

Vanguard

Posted 18 February 2020 - 10:20 AM

"Even without pictures, I declare victory this morning!"

It's those little victories that are so memorable. waytogo.gif

Richard

#3 Astroman007

Astroman007

Voyager 1

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 18 February 2020 - 10:57 AM

Clouds this morning. No occultation for me. bawling.gif

Last night was clear, though. smile.gif

#4 EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Faribault, MN

Posted 19 February 2020 - 04:34 PM

I lucked out.  I woke up around 4 AM and it was almost completely cloudy.  Decided to set up anyway and soon after I was all set up the sky was clear.  It was fun to watch the moon cover up Mars in my 11x70 binoculars.

I posted a pic and animation of Mars and the moon in this thread if you are interested: https://www.cloudyni...0/#entry9990314

Clear skies,

Eric

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, Celestron, eyepieces, moon, mount, Orion, planet, tripod

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics