•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Current CEM25EC user thoughts

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MrRoberts

MrRoberts

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Barrington, Illinois

Posted 18 February 2020 - 03:03 PM

Am thinking of upgrading to this from my CEM25P for use with my new Esprit 80.

How have your experiences been with this unit?

#2 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 18 February 2020 - 04:01 PM

What do you hope to gain?

iOptron's implementation of precision encoders (the "EC") is very rudimentary.  Only one, on RA.  No complicated sky model to compensate for additional factors, such as atmospheric refraction, such as the 10Micron has.

I chose to get a standard CEM60 over the EC version, and I could have afforded it.  EC is not quite a gimmick, but it's close.

For the money, I'd recommend a standard CEM40 over the CEM25EC, for just about everyone.

Edited by bobzeq25, 18 February 2020 - 04:02 PM.

#3 Cfreerksen

Cfreerksen

Apollo

• Loc: Tooele, Ut

Posted 18 February 2020 - 05:00 PM

What do you hope to gain?

iOptron's implementation of precision encoders (the "EC") is very rudimentary.  Only one, on RA.  No complicated sky model to compensate for additional factors, such as atmospheric refraction, such as the 10Micron has.

I chose to get a standard CEM60 over the EC version, and I could have afforded it.  EC is not quite a gimmick, but it's close.

For the money, I'd recommend a standard CEM40 over the CEM25EC, for just about everyone.

Ordered a CEM40 just minutes ago from Astronomics.

Chris

• eros312 likes this

#4 Chuckwagon

Chuckwagon

Viking 1

• Loc: Orem, Utah, USA

Posted 18 February 2020 - 06:08 PM

I really like my 25EC.  For my uses (portable, short focal length setup, generally short exposure times) it's been great.  I use it unguided.  But I rarely go to focal lengths beyond 350mm, and generally stay at or below 200mm.  And my exposures are usually 2 mins or less.  With those uses, so far, no problems. 

The Esprit 80 is 400mm, which won't be too much more demanding than the 350mm I've been using.  But, depending on your camera, the image scale may be a little less tolerant of unguided use, or you may be more critical of the results than I am.  :)  If you are wanting it because you really want to go unguided, then it would probably work.  But if you want long exposures, you need to address the issues other than PE that impact unguided imaging.  (Like needing excellent polar alignment, or having to deal with refraction over a long exposure.)  If those issues are a problem, and you need or intend to guide anyway, save the money and stick with your 25P.  The Esprit 80 is light enough that having a guide scope won't stress the weight limits of your 25P.  If you get good results now, they won't dramatically improve with the EC.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics