•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Wheely Bar or Scope Buggy or ?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 M 41

M 41

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Tampa, Florida

Posted 18 February 2020 - 04:25 PM

I am removing my C14 OTA from my observatory and placing it on a CGEM Pro mount and tripod.  Over the last 10 years  trees on my perimeter (my neighbors trees) have grown to the point that I no longer have a southern view. I will now be using my  equipment from my garage area, driveway and front circular driveway My question is; what is best and safest type of mobile carrier I should consider.    The total weight the device will carry is around 200 lbs. I have studied the Wheely Bar with 10 inch tandem wheels but am concerned about tipping since this rig will have a high center of gravity. 

Would appreciate any advice or recommendations.  Tks

M41

#2 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 18 February 2020 - 05:51 PM

Will you be rolling it on concrete only, or what? 

#3 Stevegeo

Stevegeo

Viking 1

• Loc: Otisco ny.

Posted 18 February 2020 - 05:58 PM

Scope buggy with a  W I D E  stance, and wouldnt hurt to have some ballast in the center directly below ...

Sand bags. Concrete patio blocks...so etching with substance.  Wheels should be heavy duty, ball bearing, and somehow a brake on at least TWO.  And tie downs to scope mount to buggy ...that's important..

You get something built , or come up with something,  please post us a pic of your setup.. the pluses and minus of it..

What you like or dislike .. it may help someone  else ..

Stevegeo Area3751 observatory otisco lake ny 

#4 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 18 February 2020 - 06:02 PM

One question I have is: Can you still get a "Scope Buggy"?      

#5 bigdob24

bigdob24

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Illinois

Posted 18 February 2020 - 06:09 PM

Make one !

Pretty easy and cheap. I just have locking wheels on mine but you could easily put screw downs on each leg to take some of the movement out.

I use mine for solar and have a WO132 for night viewing.

PM me if you want pics that kind of show the building process .

BD

Attached Thumbnails

• 11544277-F404-4D02-B221-707BE55415AC.jpeg

• Stevegeo likes this

#6 M 41

M 41

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Tampa, Florida

Posted 18 February 2020 - 06:28 PM

Will you be rolling it on concrete only, or what? 

Concrete only,  also, I though scope buggy was still building their products?

#7 skybsd

skybsd

Aurora

Posted 18 February 2020 - 06:35 PM

Hello, 

Concrete only,  also, I though scope buggy was still building their products?

As far as I know, they still are.., 

Do let us know if you learn any different, though.., 

Best.., 

skybsd 

#8 Delta608

Delta608

Viking 1

• Loc: Tampa Bay Florida

Posted 18 February 2020 - 06:39 PM

Perhaps a whole new service industry like Lyft or Uber...I will call it 'Scope Sherpa" ....You call, and the "Scope Sherpa" will hump your scope within a hundred yards for you...I haven't figured out how to get the scope beck in the garage when done tho...Im workin on it..Make an app or something....

#9 Lemonhawk

Lemonhawk

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Palm Harbor, FL

Posted 19 February 2020 - 02:51 PM

I have the medium wheely bars with 10" wheels and wheel my 9.25 evolution down the paved driveway out into the cul de sac for viewing.  Yes the 10" wheels are great, along with the special bit for an electric drill.  Add weight to the based (battery?  cement block) whatever if you feel its top heavy, I wheel the evolution down without weight with the OTA parallel to the direction of travel.  Its is easy to left up the front wheels while towing it down, so I could probably use a little weight also.  Its also possible that mounting the tow arm so it arches upward might reduce the tendency to lift.  I'll try that the next time out.  Best accessory I ever bought!  Made getting everything out to the street a dream compared to wheeling a bunch of boxes down and assembling on the street.  I'm getting on in years and the evolution is about all I can handle.  I assume that with a C14 you would leave it all on the wheely bars!  Eventually I'll have to do that also! 

#10 OldManTaco70

OldManTaco70

Sputnik

• Loc: Cave Creek, AZ USA

Posted 20 February 2020 - 01:55 PM

Based on my brief 6 months enduring my 125 lbs+ Meade  12" LX200 OTA & tripod on a ScopeBuggy:

Pro: Far easier to transport - my 125 lbs+ LX from all weather storage in my garage to fully exposed back yard observing spot and return before the sun became overpowering (AZ desert north of Phoenix.)

Cons:

1. In an effort to reduce wheel wobble, installed additional washers on axles and steering pivot shaft.
  2. Ratchet-strapped tripod spreader bar to ScopeBuggy center bar, to reduce (my fear of) the LX tipping off.
  3. Had to flip the rear wheel square shafts to raise clearance to get by various backyard obstacles.
  4. Pinned each of the floating shafts, again to reduce my fear of shaft separation and OTA tipping.
  5. And finally, could no longer wear sandals while observing, my feet/toes could absolutely NOT avoid banging into the wheels or the frame every time I changed targets and/or EPs. So to protect my toes, I began to lift up and remove the LX once at my observing site, and then lift again and reinstall on/in the cups. Worked until I almost tipped the LX into my pool during a reinstall (Remember my fear of tipping?) Well that was the last straw for me, ScopeBuggy has been retired and replaced by a very strong and very portable John Boos Kitchen Cart.

I must point out the ScopeBuggy manual does want you to have a buddy helping you to lift and remove your heavy OTA/tripod, obviously to avoid my fears, but I do not have a "buddy" available at both the start and end of my observing sessions, thus I had to do it alone.

#11 skybsd

skybsd

Aurora

Posted 20 February 2020 - 02:02 PM

Hello, 

Based on my brief 6 months enduring my 125 lbs+ Meade  12" LX200 OTA & tripod on a ScopeBuggy:

Pro: Far easier to transport - my 125 lbs+ LX from all weather storage in my garage to fully exposed back yard observing spot and return before the sun became overpowering (AZ desert north of Phoenix.)

Cons:

1. In an effort to reduce wheel wobble, installed additional washers on axles and steering pivot shaft.
  2. Ratchet-strapped tripod spreader bar to ScopeBuggy center bar, to reduce (my fear of) the LX tipping off.
  3. Had to flip the rear wheel square shafts to raise clearance to get by various backyard obstacles.
  4. Pinned each of the floating shafts, again to reduce my fear of shaft separation and OTA tipping.
  5. And finally, could no longer wear sandals while observing, my feet/toes could absolutely NOT avoid banging into the wheels or the frame every time I changed targets and/or EPs. So to protect my toes, I began to lift up and remove the LX once at my observing site, and then lift again and reinstall on/in the cups. Worked until I almost tipped the LX into my pool during a reinstall (Remember my fear of tipping?) Well that was the last straw for me, ScopeBuggy has been retired and replaced by a very strong and very portable John Boos Kitchen Cart.

I must point out the ScopeBuggy manual does want you to have a buddy helping you to lift and remove your heavy OTA/tripod, obviously to avoid my fears, but I do not have a "buddy" available at both the start and end of my observing sessions, thus I had to do it alone.

Good to hear from you.., 

You know, I've long admired photos of (smiling faces of the) folks with all of their astro gear loaded up onto ScopeBuggys making it all look easy-peasy.., 

Its really enlightening to read of your experience.., Though I imagine the disassembly / re-assembly experience and process (and risks) would be somewhat  less with GEMs - which has always been my interest.., 

Thanks again., 

Best., 

skybsd 

#12 Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 February 2020 - 02:10 PM

10" wheels actually give a lower center of gravity I've been told. Should get mine in early March. Get the battery plate and as I planned I was told to use radiator hose clamps to secure the mount. I am only using at most the AZ-EQ 5 and C8/ES102. Don't plan on taking the mount off - ever. When I did see one on Astronomics, I ordered from HighPoint.

#13 lowry_pt

lowry_pt

Sputnik

• Loc: South of Indianapolis, IN

Posted 20 February 2020 - 05:14 PM

I have both and had to weld the scope buggy but it is sold. then I added the same TYPE of levelers to it.  basically modified totally. the JMI medium universald. HEVAY duty with pneumatic wheels is the BEST IMHO.  love it.  the scope buggy is easier to turn. but the JMI is SOLID!!!

#14 platini

platini

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 24 March 2020 - 08:48 PM

JMI Wheelybars all they way. It is well built and heavy duty, with excellent support. I couldn't even get a quote from scope buggy 

#15 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: ROR Obs. near Pettigrew, Arkansas

Posted 24 May 2020 - 09:57 PM

Perhaps a whole new service industry like Lyft or Uber...I will call it 'Scope Sherpa" ....You call, and the "Scope Sherpa" will hump your scope within a hundred yards for you...I haven't figured out how to get the scope beck in the garage when done tho...Im workin on it..Make an app or something....

lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics