•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Best exterior paint?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Alan A.

Alan A.

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: San Francisco

Posted 18 February 2020 - 04:56 PM

Hi,

Can someone recommend what they would consider to be one or two of the highest quality exterior paints for wood surfaces?

Best,

Alan

#2 Jeff L

Jeff L

Messenger

• Loc: Easton. Pa

Posted 18 February 2020 - 04:57 PM

Ask Sherman Williams 

• ssagerian, wrnchhead and OldManSky like this

#3 StrStrck

StrStrck

Apollo

• Loc: Denmark

Posted 18 February 2020 - 05:01 PM

What ever you’d paint a wooden boat with, would be my guess. But probably depends on climate, but moist coastal climate would probably warrant a near maritime solution.

• JoeVanGeaux likes this

#4 hallelujah

hallelujah

Cosmos

• Loc: North Star over Colorado

Posted 18 February 2020 - 05:17 PM

https://www.ehow.com...ls-acrylic.html

Stan

#5 bobito

bobito

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Litchfield County, CT

Posted 18 February 2020 - 05:22 PM

I painted my deck and porch with Behr Premium 2.5 years ago, the only place it's coming up is where I had painted over rotten wood.  It goes on great, can do in one coat if you are good at it.

• Stevegeo likes this

#6 Stevegeo

Stevegeo

Viking 1

• Loc: Otisco ny.

Posted 18 February 2020 - 05:38 PM

I'm with Bob on this . Painted my deck on my other house with Behr Premium a number of years ago , then sold the house .

The new owner now tells me that that paint job was what sold him on the house ... and now years later still looks like the day I painted it... 

Good paint will last .. 

Stevegeo Area3751 observatory otisco lake ny 

Still snowing......drat!!!! 

#7 petert913

petert913

Soyuz

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 18 February 2020 - 06:10 PM

I like Behr and Sherwin-Williams

#8 jimr2

jimr2

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sparks, NV

Posted 18 February 2020 - 06:49 PM

Check with Consumer Reports magazine and see what they recommended in their latest test on house paints, whenever that might have been....

#9 Alan A.

Alan A.

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 February 2020 - 07:12 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the recs everyone!

I used to have a subscription to Consumer Reports but let it lapse as I wasn’t using it enough. For many items though, a personal recommendation seems the  best anyway.

Alan

#10 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 18 February 2020 - 07:17 PM

I like Sherwin-Williams.  If you're not concerned about price, Duration, if you are, SuperPaint.

Two coats is a key thing.  Three, with the first coat primer, is old school, and won't hurt.

Edited by bobzeq25, 18 February 2020 - 07:18 PM.

#11 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Skylab

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 18 February 2020 - 08:08 PM

Check with Consumer Reports magazine and see what they recommended in their latest test on house paints, whenever that might have been....

Consumer Reports rates Behr Premium as the top brand.

#12 Garyth64

Garyth64

Aurora

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 18 February 2020 - 08:14 PM

The trick is to make sure the surface is prepped and ready for paint.  With that done, probably any of the major paints brands will work.

#13 bouvier_1

bouvier_1

Explorer 1

• Loc: Sundre, Alberta

Posted 19 February 2020 - 12:11 AM

I would recommend Sikkens Cetol 123 without any reservations. I have used this exclusively for outdoor wood finishes for the last 15 years.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20200218_220225.jpg

• jmclaugh2001 likes this

#14 radial195

radial195

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Kingman, Az.

Posted 19 February 2020 - 11:15 AM

If you're trying to seal against moisture intrusion I used a product made in Seattle called Gaco-Roof on the walls and roof of my obs. It has withstood the sun and monsoon rains here in Arizona. I would recommend using a color in it to hide any dirt that might adhere to it. I painted mine white and wish I'd painted it Desert Tan. When I need to paint it again, sometime in the very far future, I'll use the Desert Tan color. I've had this on my obs for 7 years with no signs of degradation. The only drawbacks are: no other paint will stick to it, and it's expensive!!!! 

#15 HunterofPhotons

HunterofPhotons

Apollo

• *----
  • Loc: Rhode Island, USA

Posted 19 February 2020 - 11:40 AM

Alan,

You didn't specify what type of wood you're painting.

Not all paints are suitable for every type of wood.  Some, like pine or cedar, require additional steps or specific types of paint.

Climate can also affect a paint choice.  What's good for Arizona may not be the best choice for British Columbia.

dan k.

#16 GrandadCast

GrandadCast

Viking 1

• Loc: Hill Country, Texas

Posted 19 February 2020 - 02:12 PM

Alan,

You didn't specify what type of wood you're painting.

Not all paints are suitable for every type of wood.  Some, like pine or cedar, require additional steps or specific types of paint.

Climate can also affect a paint choice.  What's good for Arizona may not be the best choice for British Columbia.

dan k.

That last statement rings so true. My twelve plus year in Denver was interesting. I had now idea that no painter would warranty the paint job past a year. I hired students painter and got two year warranty with Sherwin Williams. I had to paint again in four years. Being from the south, paint last ten years at least. This time a little change of coloring, dark body with light trim. Seems trimming takes a harder hit. Lasted a bit longer but.. UV and plenty of it.

Jess

#17 Alan A.

Alan A.

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 February 2020 - 02:37 PM

Hi,

I am the San Francisco bay area, but not near the coast.  The wood is pine, but it already has an initial layer of paint on it.

Best,

Alan

#18 HunterofPhotons

HunterofPhotons

Apollo

• *----
  • Loc: Rhode Island, USA

Posted 20 February 2020 - 11:39 AM

....The wood is pine, but it already has an initial layer of paint on it.

Best,

Alan

Alan,

If you want your paint job to look good beyond a couple of years that's not nearly enough information.

Is this clear pine, knotty pine, or maybe that New Zealand pine that's on the market now?  I don't know what's offered on the west coast.

Is that initial layer primer or just a topcoat?  Is it latex or oil-based?

Pine can ooze sap for years afterward.  Depending upon the quality of the pine it may have needed a sealer of some kind.

I got burnt at Home Depot one time buying some primed, finger-jointed pine clapboards.  After a year or two the glue joints came through two topcoats of a top quality paint.

You might want to have a painter friend take a quick look at what you have and offer some advice.

As is often said about painting, preparation is everything and you get what you pay for when choosing a grade of paint.

dan k.

#19 Alan A.

Alan A.

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 February 2020 - 05:23 PM

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your comments.  Yes, I don’t have much expertise in this area, so I would need to ask someone to take a look.

Best,

Alan

#20 theflop

theflop

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ortonville, MI

Posted 28 February 2020 - 11:49 AM

I used Behr Premium exterior paint from Home Depot ($40 a gallon) and it has lasted 8 years so far through rain, sun, sleet and snow.  Highly recommended.

#21 rimcrazy

rimcrazy

Messenger

• Loc: Overgaard, AZ

Posted 28 February 2020 - 12:20 PM

Dunn-Edwards is also a very good exterior paint.  Out here in Az it is used quite a bit and is quite durable to the hot sun and high UV exposure.

#22 OldManSky

OldManSky

Soyuz

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 29 February 2020 - 08:21 PM

I used Behr Premium exterior paint from Home Depot ($40 a gallon) and it has lasted 8 years so far through rain, sun, sleet and snow.  Highly recommended.

I just bought a gallon today for my little observatory...

#23 whizbang

whizbang

Viking 1

• Loc: NE of Seattle, WA

Posted 02 March 2020 - 11:45 PM

You need to find out if you have oil or water based paint on there now and repaint with the same.

It's probably water based paint.  SW Duration will do just fine.

I have T111 wood siding on a duplex here in Seattle.  The Duration holds up better than the Super Paint.

Edited by whizbang, 02 March 2020 - 11:46 PM.

#24 Alan A.

Alan A.

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 March 2020 - 12:36 AM

You need to find out if you have oil or water based paint on there now and repaint with the same.

It's probably water based paint.  SW Duration will do just fine.

I have T111 wood siding on a duplex here in Seattle.  The Duration holds up better than the Super Paint.

Thanks whizbang!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics