•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Ye Old Florida Sky

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff B1

Jeff B1

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: South Central Florida

Posted 18 February 2020 - 05:31 PM

While piddling around with some old photos and notes from back in the 1970’s through living in Florida I came up with a pdf file of the “Dark Sky Observing Sites for South Florida Amateur Astronomers (1973 – 2020).”  Some may be interested and may want to add to it.  Believe it or not Florida has some really neat and clear sky to observe under; when it is not raining.  However, rain showers usually only last a short time and the sky clears up most of the time late at night.  “Astronomical seeing” is usually very good as well.  Read this and welcome to comments:  https://dustymars.ne...Astro_Sites.pdf

• Illinois, jim kuhns, sc285 and 2 others like this

#2 Dennis_S253

Dennis_S253

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: West Central Florida

Posted 18 February 2020 - 08:39 PM

Very Interesting. I'm in West Central North Florida. I still get very nice skies but, things are changing. People moving in the area. More street lights and lights around houses. Super Walmart right down the road. There parking lot could be a ball field. More satellites in the sky all the time. Nice read though. I didn't finish the whole thing yet. 

#3 VeloBob

VeloBob

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Summers in WA, winters in FL

Posted 18 February 2020 - 09:15 PM

This is a bad time of the year in North Port, Florida.  The Tampa Bay Rays and the Atlanta Braves both have their spring training facilities here, so there are huge light domes to the south and west.  Once the season starts, things will improve.

#4 Yarddog

Yarddog

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 18 February 2020 - 09:50 PM

Here in the Florida Panhandle in the woods it would be nice except for the last few months we get three days of rain or overcast then one day of clear skies then back to the rain.

Way off in the distance I can see the faint glow of small towns around 10-15 miles away. Also neighbor a few hundred yards away has bright yard lights. I think the electric Co-op will put those lights up for free. You just have to pay the bill for the power.

This has also been a bad year for mosquitoes. Typically they are not a problem but it has been so wet that if I spray the areas producing them, the rain washes it away the next day.

#5 Jeff B1

Jeff B1

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: South Central Florida

Posted 19 February 2020 - 07:41 AM

There is a faint glow to my east over the pine trees, 5-7 degrees up, from the east coast 80 miles away.  Western sky is the brightest from Lake Placid (southwest) and Sebring (northwest).  It never ends; more and more lights.

#6 payner

payner

Vanguard

• Loc: Bluegrass & Cumberland Valley Regions, Kentucky

Posted 19 February 2020 - 02:27 PM

Here in the Florida Panhandle in the woods it would be nice except for the last few months we get three days of rain or overcast then one day of clear skies then back to the rain.

That's the way it has become here, but has been like that for going on three years.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics