•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Second attempt at the Orion Nebula

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 DDEV

DDEV

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Posted 18 February 2020 - 06:33 PM

Hi All,

Last month I submitted my first sketch of M42 to the forum. Following that submission I realised that I missed quite a bit of the nebulosity surrounding Theta 2. For this reason, I was keen to give it another go. I'm glad to report that I did see the finer 'whispy' elements of the Orion Nebula this evening. What is more, observing this section of the night sky at 50X the star 'Nair al Saif' was in my FOV. I found this region of the sword rather interesting, and I'm going to spend some time reading-up on it. Alternatively, if anyone would like to share their knowledge of this section of Orion with me, I'd be most grateful.

By 21:33 there was a biting SW wind. So, I packed-up as quickly as possible; jumped into into a warm car; and made my way home looking forward to a hot meal.

Other details about tonight's session are as follows:
Object: M42
Date: 18/02/2019
Location: St Columba's College Rugby Field, Kilmashogue, County Dublin (Bortle 6)
Time: 20:57 UT
Seeing: 6pk
Transparency 3
Instrument used: f/8 150mm Newtonian Reflector
Eyepiece: Orion 24mm Plossl
AFOV: 52°
TFOV: 1.04°
Materials used: 2B, 2H graphite pencils, and a blending stump. The image was sketched at the eyepiece and inverted using GIMP 2.0

As always many thanks for reading the above, and I welcome all comments, and feedback.

Clear skies,
Darren.

Attached Thumbnails

• Mesier42.png

Edited by DDEV, 19 February 2020 - 04:57 AM.

• Asbytec, Mel Bartels, perfessor and 14 others like this

#2 petert913

petert913

Skylab

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 18 February 2020 - 06:51 PM

That looks good !  It didn't transfer to the web post very well (too dim) so I bumped it up.  With a 6" Newt, I'll bet

it looked more like this :)

MX1wBs2l.png

• steve t, niteskystargazer, DDEV and 1 other like this

#3 DDEV

DDEV

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 February 2020 - 07:01 PM

Hi Petert913,

Many thanks for your message, and for 'bumping it up'. Not sure why the image didn't transfer very well to the web post; on my PC the image appears fine.

Clear skies,

Darren.

• Raul Leon likes this

#4 Astroman007

Astroman007

Voyager 1

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 18 February 2020 - 07:02 PM

^ No, the OP's is a tad greenish, which is how the Orion Nebula appears to the human eye in small backyard instruments (well, to my eye and to those of many others).

I could swear it's a tad greenish, anyway. The second one looks more bluish-gray.

(This post answers #2, BTW).

• DDEV likes this

#5 DDEV

DDEV

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 February 2020 - 07:11 PM

Hi Martin,

Very many thanks for your post.

The image I posted earlier reflects what I observed through the eyepiece tonight. And I agree with you: There is definitely a more 'greenish' gray colour to the nebulosity as I see it.

Clear skies,

Darren.

#6 frank5817

frank5817

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 18 February 2020 - 09:38 PM

Darren,

This is a very fine sketch of M42/43. Peter nicely brightened it. The darker your sky and the bigger your telescope the more difficult it is to sketch this target. I sketched it once 10 years ago and have danced around sketching it again.

Your sketch is better than mine.

Frank :)

• DDEV likes this

#7 sunnyday

sunnyday

Cosmos

• Loc: Ottawa,Canada

Posted 18 February 2020 - 09:49 PM

Darren,

This is a very fine sketch of M42/43. Peter nicely brightened it. The darker your sky and the bigger your telescope the more difficult it is to sketch this target. I sketched it once 10 years ago and have danced around sketching it again.

Your sketch is better than mine.

Frank smile.gif

The darker your sky and the bigger your telescope the more difficult it is to sketch this target.

newbie question .why is that?

I would have thought the opposite, I am curious to have your answer.

• Chiron0224 and DDEV like this

#8 frank5817

frank5817

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 18 February 2020 - 10:36 PM

Sunny,

You can kind of get the idea by starting with sketches of this nebula by sketchers here.

Bertrand Laville for example: http://www.deepsky-d...t635/dsdlang/fr

There is so much detail to see and capture. Using filters such as OIII or Hydrogen beta even more detail is revealed.

When you go to higher magnification still more fine detail is revealed. It is daunting. If you are going to sketch it you best  start with a small scope and work your way up.

Frank smile.gif

• DDEV and sunnyday like this

#9 sunnyday

sunnyday

Cosmos

• Loc: Ottawa,Canada

Posted 18 February 2020 - 10:44 PM

thank you and in French in addition, fascinating.
I will read and reread this gem.

#10 DDEV

DDEV

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 February 2020 - 04:57 AM

Hi Frank and Sunny,

Very many thanks your messages, and thank you Frank for providing that link. It was a fascinating read, and certainly shows the complexity of this region of Orion. I'm pretty sure you could pull it off Frank if you were to give it another go... Nudge, nudge, wink, wink 😁

Clear skies,

Darren.

And thank you to those who liked the post...it's always appreciated.
  • sunnyday likes this

#11 perfessor

perfessor

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Illinois

Posted 19 February 2020 - 11:29 AM

Hello Darren,  This is a nice wide-view sketch.  I think you will enjoy repeated visits (as I do), you will see more each time.

I was not familiar with the term "Nair al Saif", but google tells me it is the bright member of the attractive open cluster IC1980, in the upper part of your view. I have sketched this cluster also; to me it has an elongated hexagonal appearance.  Nice capture!

Cheers,

• DDEV likes this

#12 DDEV

DDEV

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 February 2020 - 03:27 PM

Hi Perfessor,

Very many thanks for your message, and for the recommendation last time round of using a lower powered eyepiece. It certainly helped last night, and I am looking forward to visiting this area of the night sky again.

I used 'Starry Night 7' to identify the star listed as 'Nair al Saif'. From reading up on it, the name is from the Arabic نير السيف nayyir as-sayf "the Bright One of the Sword". I also discovered that it is a multiple star system that is more commonly known as Iota Orionis, and the IAU officially allocated 'Hatysa' as the official name to Aa component in 2017.

It would seem this part of the Sword has a number of double-stars close by too. For example, Struve 747, and 754 are in close proximity. The whole constellation seems to be a real treasure trove for us to explore.

Kindest regards,

Darren. 

Edited by DDEV, 19 February 2020 - 03:32 PM.

#13 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Cosmos

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 19 February 2020 - 03:53 PM

Darren,

Nice  Second attempt (At the Orion Nebula) smile.gif .

CS,KLU,

thanx.gif ,

Tom

• DDEV likes this

#14 DDEV

DDEV

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 February 2020 - 04:25 AM

Cheers Tom, and many thanks for additional likes guys.

Clear skies,

Darren.

#15 AdirondackAstro

AdirondackAstro

Viking 1

• Loc: Plattsburgh, NY

Posted 23 February 2020 - 12:15 PM

Wonderful job on this Orion Nebula sketch. Such a beautiful object, and you captured it very well. Keep up the great work!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
  • DDEV likes this

#16 DDEV

DDEV

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 February 2020 - 04:55 PM

Hi Mike,

Very many thanks for your kind and supportive message. It really is such an amazing part of the night sky. I can imagine spending weeks observing what's there and still end up missing stuff. Also, many thanks for the recent likes lads... You're a great group!

Clear skies,

Darren.

Edited by DDEV, 23 February 2020 - 04:55 PM.

• AdirondackAstro likes this

#17 Chiron0224

Chiron0224

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Jacksonville, Florida

Posted 25 February 2020 - 07:39 PM

Very nice sketch.  I also like to revisit and resketch objects sometimes and this is certainly one that I've resketched.  I have three sketches of it so far and might do another one this year.

M42 M43
M42 M43
M42 M43 NGC1980

• Asbytec, steve t, niteskystargazer and 1 other like this

#18 DDEV

DDEV

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 February 2020 - 06:06 PM

Hi  Chiron0224,

Very many thanks for your message. I really enjoy reading your observation reports, and your sketches are always great.

Clear skies,

Darren.

• Chiron0224 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics