•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Some initial binocular viewing impressions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 tomhole

tomhole

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 April 2004 - 11:04 PM

Well, I have made significant progress on my way to binocular bliss. Just wanted to pass on some observations.

Not sure how anyone can view anything above 45 deg without a parrallelogram or 45 deg ep binoculars. Even with the telescopeing Bogen 3046, it was just too uncomfortable. I was going to abandon this part of the hobby if something didn't change. I got my hand crafted parrallelogram mount in today and tried it out tonight. Much giggling going on as I easily swept the sky. Now anything above 60 deg or so is not comfortable to view. I was tickled pink when my 5 year old came out when I was looking at Jupiter and I just lowered the binocs on the // mount and she had a peek. Most excellent for comfort and sharing.

I'm still using the Bushnell 10x50's and get the extra stars a lot of the time, but now that I have the // mount, it is quite fun.

Fujinons will be here next Mon. They should be a slight improvement over the Bushnells.

That's it for now.

TOm

#2 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 21 April 2004 - 07:33 AM

Tom, you say "hand crafted parallelogram mount...". If it wasn't your hand that crafted it, where did you acquire the mount? Local? Order it? I am curious because this will probably be my next setup upgrade-- a p-mount. Right now I have a the 501 fluid head, which is acceptable, but a freely moving p-mount would be terrific I think. Can you observe the zenith?

#3 Craig Simmons

Craig Simmons

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 April 2004 - 07:50 AM

Tom, could you post a picture of it?

NW, every P-mount I've seen allows zenith viewing. Having a good chair that allows comfortable head positioning helps alot. I recently bought an Everywhere chair that reclines, but had no head support. I made a headrest that slips over the chair back frame.

Attached Thumbnails

• 94732-78519-DSC00015.jpg

#4 jmoore

jmoore

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 April 2004 - 10:17 AM

Nice, Craig....

How easy is it for you to use mounted binos with this chair? Can you set the tripod next to you and swing the p-mounted binos over in front of your face?

Or is this chair just for handheld bino use?

Incidentally, I currently just use my 15x70 binos on a Bogen tripod and pan-head. I agree, zenith is tough, but so far, I've been comfortable "enough" looking at objects up to maybe 70-75 degs above horizon. I DO plan to get a p-mount for them soon...I know that will be better.

#5 Craig Simmons

Craig Simmons

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 April 2004 - 10:27 AM

It uses a double parallelogram mount. It could be used with a tripod.

Attached Thumbnails

• 94805-Bino+Cube-20x90+Obies.jpg

#6 tomhole

tomhole

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 April 2004 - 10:41 AM

NW,

I bought it from a right nice fellow on Astromart. His hands crafted it. Pic included below. It was made by Charles Funk as one of 4 that he made while making one for himself. I paid $150, shipped for it and it is very well built. I haven't snapped a pic of it on my Bogen 3046/3047 combo and my Fuji's don't arrive until next Mon.

I just have the 1.9 lbs Bushnells on it. I can view comfortably up to about 60 deg and then it gets uncomfortable. The mount does get in the way because I have to tilt and lean and contort to get my eyes to the ep's. I'm thinking I need some training and I may have to go to a UA type setup where you look from the side. But just standing here and looking up at 90 deg is tricky without falling over ;)

Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 94820-88000-parallelagram%20mount.jpg

#7 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 21 April 2004 - 11:45 AM

Craig, since I have not ever used a p-mount or even touched one, I was not sure that zenith viewing was necessarily possible.

Tom, that looks really nice. Charles did a good job.

#8 Craig Simmons

Craig Simmons

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 April 2004 - 12:26 PM

It seems that each p-mount has a different type of bino mounting system. Some have the binos hanging down off a bracket, others off to the side, and some are in saddles on top. They all seem to have full altitude mobility. Panning seems to be the limited feature on many.

I agree, looks solid and lightweight.

#9 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 21 April 2004 - 01:15 PM

The Virgo Skymount style, shown above, is the typical straight forward design. Great mount, but this design is extremely difficult to use from a seated position, if it can be used at all from seated.

The Univeral Astronomics Basic design is the side mount design. Allows setting a tripod along side a lounge chair, easy in and out of the chair. The UA Basic head allows for hanging binocs or mounting a binoc center post model on top rather than hanging, and the mount allows full panning capability.

edz

#10 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 21 April 2004 - 03:37 PM

Craig, I now own 2 of these "everywhere" chairs. I plan to make a lazy susan type of base and do a variation of Ron Boe's chair utilizing my monopod...should be interesting once I finish all my other projects.

#11 Fiske

Fiske

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 21 April 2004 - 04:38 PM

Craig:

Shouldn't that chair have a beverage holder? :) (And lets not leave out lumbar adjustments, heating pad, and vibrator!)

All kidding aside, your design is really impressive. I'll bet it makes bino observing a dream.

#12 Craig Simmons

Craig Simmons

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 April 2004 - 04:41 PM

Tom, as soon as I saw the Everywhere chair I knew my chair problem was solved. That wooden one I had was an uncomfortable monstrosity.

That sound like a cool plan to me. I'll be looking forward to seeing your creation. I considered a mono pod setup and a single P-mount off to the side, but with the 20x90s I felt I needed something different to hold them securely. I may try the side P-mount at some point since my other tripod p-mount seems to work well and holds the 20x90s solidly. Less bulky and probably easier to position the binos with. There's so many ways to approach the design of these chairs. I went thru a lot of trial and error in my chair's development. At this point, I just need to stiffen the booms a little so they work together with out any slop and replace some of the smaller plywood pieces with oak and then polyurethane the thing. You'll really enjoy the comfort and ease of bino chair viewing when you get done.

Fiske, I've got the drink holder, but it hasn't been installed yet. I'll have to steal and strip a luxury car to get the other items.

#13 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 21 April 2004 - 04:50 PM

One of the main design goals will be for breakdown and storage. Shouldn't be too difficult to make the base in a few hours, and a great excuse to get a router jig to make round cuts!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics