•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Guiding with the Nexstar

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Skylab

• ****-
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Waltham, MA

Posted 18 February 2020 - 10:20 PM

I want to do long exposure AP with my Nexstar telescope on a wedge. I have a mini computer attached to the telescope for Alignment and GoTo using CPWI. I also connected my main imaging camera, an ASI294MC. I also connected my guide camera, ASI290MM mini as well. Would SGP, PHD2 or NINA be able to control the telescope (I have ASCOM installed) and do the guiding as well?

#2 bsavoie

bsavoie

Viking 1

• Loc: North Alabama 35747

Posted 27 February 2020 - 12:53 PM

I am trying to figure out if long exposure AP using a wedge is worth the effort. I have a Nextstar 11 GPS sitting in my garage. Has anyone been successful using this kind of setup, or should I sell it?

Bill

#3 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Skylab

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 27 February 2020 - 03:45 PM

I had a Nexstar 11 GPS I used for about a year, but ultimately sold it because it was a bear to lug around, especially with the JMI wheeled case that came with it. But I liked it because of the aperture. It's goto capability was a bit off and I did mostly visual observing with it. In retrospect, I wished I had kept it. I could have de-forked the OTA and put it on a larger EQ mount and do my imaging with it, but hind sight is 20/20. Now I am enjoying my Nexstar 8SE in a remotely operated package.

• bsavoie likes this

#4 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 27 February 2020 - 07:38 PM

I am trying to figure out if long exposure AP using a wedge is worth the effort. I have a Nextstar 11 GPS sitting in my garage. Has anyone been successful using this kind of setup, or should I sell it?  Bill

Oh Bill, I'm not sure (there are so many variables) but there are a few go/no go items.

I'd only consider it if you had a permanent setup, or at least a configuration where you could leave the scope on the wedge/tripod and use a dolly setup to move it around. Setting up and tearing down a big scope like this on a big wedge is no fun. It would grow old very quickly. Mounting a NS GPS 11 at an angle onto the wedge is tough even with some practice.

Is the mount in really good condition? Is there limited wear on the slip ring, and have the internals been cleaned and relubed? Is the motor controller firmware at the latest level (4.06, and not that SA version)?  Do you have a v4 hand controller with the NXS4.22 firmware? All these concerns are to ensure that the mount will have the best chance at longer term reliability.

It would be good to be able to assess the periodic error, these mounts can be quite good but can also be a bit mediocre.  Yes you can autoguide out much of the PE but you'd want to know if the hardware is ok and doesn't exhibit the kinds of PE that can be difficult to correct for (fast transients combined with substantial backlash). 

Even with all these concerns taken care of I'd still wouldn't want to push single exposures beyond a minute or two.

• bsavoie likes this

#5 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Skylab

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 28 February 2020 - 01:32 AM

+1 to what mclewis said. It is a bear to put on a wedge. I had problems mounting my old C11 just on a CG5-ASGT mount. Even though the OTA was 27.5 lbs, It was a two handed effort to mount and dismount. But with a 65 lbs OTA and fork arms on the Nexstar 11 GPS, it would take two people to do it successfully.

• bsavoie likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics