•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Venus February 18 2020. Shaking off the rust

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 schu

schu

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Nebraska

Posted 18 February 2020 - 10:58 PM

It has been almost 8 months since I've attempted any imaging!  

I put the scope out last night and planned to try to get an image of the lunar occultation of Mars.  However I was having some sort of camera connectivity issue with my 224MC, so it was a disaster.  I ended up watching through the eyepiece, which was also enjoyable enough.

I did get the camera figured out.  This evening after work I did a rough collimation (still not very good) and pointed at Venus.  With my new laptop and SSD +USB3.0, I was able to get 400+fps just messing around a bit.  I think this computer will be a very good one for imaging.

Seeing was 2/5.

Here's the result.  Some glow/artifacts that I couldn't get rid of but not bad for jumping back into things.

Venus 5

Bonus:  a shot of the Mars occultation with my phone camera through the eyepiece from this morning:

IMG 2078

~

• Jeffrey C., troyt, R Botero and 9 others like this

#2 Foc

Foc

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: South Canberra

Posted 18 February 2020 - 11:17 PM

Great start!   Venus and Mars.

It is starting to look a little better here and so I am also looking forward to some imaging over the next days or weeks and the initial ghastly results of  my own efforts of mental rust removal.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics