•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Who made the mirrors for Orion's Deep Space Explorer

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 lonn

lonn

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Happy Valley, N. California

Posted 18 February 2020 - 11:24 PM

I built a 8in f6 dob around a mirrior set out of a 1995 Orion  Deep Space Explorer 8" f/6. It could be 1996. I found a few post on CN about a 10in Orion DSE stating that the scopes were made in the USA and the mirrors made by Terry Ostahowski. What info I have found on the scopes them self they had some short coming. Glued and taped mirror to the cell. Poor focuser, single stock none adjustable secondary.But came with a Ostahowski mirror? I can hope.       

Edited by lonn, 19 February 2020 - 12:02 AM.

#2 perfessor

perfessor

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Illinois

Posted 19 February 2020 - 08:58 AM

So you built your own scope around the mirror set?  Cool!  Were there any markings on the mirror that you noticed?  How about a star test?  Ultimately, the question is not "who made the mirror?" but "how good is it?"  or "how much do I enjoy using it?"

Cheers!

#3 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 19 February 2020 - 09:26 AM

Discovery made the Orion Deep Space Explorers as well as the 11 inch and larger Celestron Starhoppers.  They were crude by todays standards. 

My first Dob was a Pirate Instruments 8 inch F/6. Very crude, the mirror cell was a cast lead counterweight. Helical focuser, single stalk secondary.

Pirate Instruments was a partnership between Bill Larsen and Terry Ostahowski and later became Discovery Telescopes with Terry making the mirrors.

4171341-Pirate Instruments and Discovery Dob CN.jpg

The scope on the right is an early Discovery 12.5 inch F/4.06, probably early 1990's. I've had since about 2000 and it's now a truss Dob.

Jon

• Augustus, bobruben and Volvonium like this

#4 EJN

EJN

Aurora

• Loc: Between what is and what's not there

Posted 19 February 2020 - 12:55 PM

When using the Pirate Instruments scope, do you need to wear an eyepatch and have a parrot on your shoulder?
  • Jon Isaacs, lakland5 and Augustus like this

#5 danmdak

danmdak

Messenger

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 23 February 2020 - 10:55 AM

When using the Pirate Instruments scope, do you need to wear an eyepatch and have a parrot on your shoulder?

Only if you also have a bottle of rum in your hand.

#6 dogbiscuit

dogbiscuit

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 February 2020 - 11:12 AM

Only if you also have a bottle of rum in your hand.

Auriga!

#7 bobruben

bobruben

Explorer 1

• Loc: Urbana, IL

Posted 23 February 2020 - 04:38 PM

I had an 8 inch Orion Deep Space Explorer last century. The mirror was quite good, but the finder that came with the scope was just frustration squared, so I replaced it. Tube currents were a problem, I added a fan at the back. I also replaced the secondary stalk with a real spider. Made a solar filter out of a cake pan, cardboard, tape, filter film, and velcro. A great first scope. Sold it when we moved to a smaller space.

Attached Thumbnails

• solarscopea0799.jpg

#8 Zamboni

Zamboni

Apollo

• Loc: Colorado Springs

Posted 27 February 2020 - 12:21 AM

I have a circa 1998 (black tube) 6" Deep Space Explorer and I'll never part with it. The mirror is unbelievably sharp.

#9 seryddwr

seryddwr

Innocent Bystander

• Loc: Arrakis

Posted 27 February 2020 - 05:44 PM

I have a circa 1998 (black tube) 6" Deep Space Explorer and I'll never part with it. The mirror is unbelievably sharp.

I have a 1995 10" that I feel the same way about. It's simply splendid.

#10 Zamboni

Zamboni

Apollo

• Loc: Colorado Springs

Posted 27 February 2020 - 07:28 PM

Yup. They're Terry O mirrors. Stands to reason they're excellent. I got the mirrors recoated a couple of years ago and I'm hoping to eventually build a new tube assembly and mount for the mirror. Mine's kinda dilapidated from undergoing so much extensive modding over the years. It was my first "serious" telescope, so it's been changed a hundred different ways over the years. Hoping to turn it into something of heirloom quality befitting the mirror. It'll also have some features to turn it into a real planet killer, because the thing soaks up magnification like a sponge. On steady nights I've had it around 400x like it was no big deal. Just stupid good. Might as well see if I can squeeze every drop of performance I can out of it and see what happens.

Edited by Zamboni, 27 February 2020 - 07:31 PM.

#11 lonn

lonn

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Happy Valley, N. California

Posted 29 February 2020 - 01:34 PM

So I emailed Terry and ask him" Is it true Terry Ostahowski made the mirrors for the Orion Deep Space Explorer in the 1990s ? I have mirror from a DSE I used to make a dob around. That you so much for your time. Lon"  He wrote back "Not entirely true, Discovery Telescopes made the optics and the dob scopes for Orion in the mid to late 90's. I was part owner at that time. Terry" So Ive never gotten a straight answer to who made the mirrors for the Orion DSE. I though it was cool someone wrote me back from Ostahowski Opics.   PS My mirrors IMO works well. Still figuring  out the star test.

• eros312 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics