•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My SharpCap PA does not update its values unless I restart the process.

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego

Posted 19 February 2020 - 03:52 PM

Is anyone familiar with this phenom? For example, I get to step 3, and have a value of 23 minutes.  tells me adjust 12 right, 13 up.  I make an adjustment in those directions but the values either do not change, or they do not adjust to correct values. this has been going on for months, so I gat smart to it. Since I know the adjusted values are bogus, I restart the whole process after I make an initial adjustment, and when I do that, whatever my initial correction was, those values are properly displayed in the second go around of step three.

But who wants to have to restart the process everytime, slew back to polar position, then slew 90 degrees out again, and a third time, until the PA is completed?

Am I the only one? because it is the same no matter what computer I use.

#2 starbuckin

starbuckin

Vostok 1

Posted 19 February 2020 - 03:59 PM

I use SharpCap PA all the time, and have never had this problem. You are sure that it is reacquiring the image?

(i.e. you're on live with a reasonable exposure time of a sec or two)

#3 Joshm1084

Joshm1084

Explorer 1

• Loc: Aiken, South Carolina

Posted 19 February 2020 - 04:01 PM

Could you perhaps be just far enough off of the pole that the plate solving is intermittent? I've found that the values wont update if the images continuously fail to solve.

I always use my mounts polar scope to get it close, then run Sharp Cap so that I'm only a couple of minutes off at most.    

#4 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 19 February 2020 - 04:07 PM

I use SharpCap PA all the time, and have never had this problem. You are sure that it is reacquiring the image?

(i.e. you're on live with a reasonable exposure time of a sec or two)

well, if I did not have a reasonable exposure time (bw 2 - 3 seconds)  how does it get the initial values correct?  IE, it is correct when it is telling me to adjust 12 right and 13 up.  Did I not have to have the correct settings to make it atleast give me the correct initial values? 

Could you perhaps be just far enough off of the pole that the plate solving is intermittent? I've found that the values wont update if the images continuously fail to solve.

I always use my mounts polar scope to get it close, then run Sharp Cap so that I'm only a couple of minutes off at most.    

I do not know, it does not take a long time to solve step 2 (polar lock). happens in moments.   and I usually do the same. And in fact, to be plain, if I just used my mounts polar scope with the android app, I probably do not even need a SharpCap Pa. That process is usaly good enough to get very close. I just like SharpCap because I enjoy seeing that "excellent." 

#5 Chuckwagon

Chuckwagon

Viking 1

• Loc: Orem, Utah, USA

Posted 19 February 2020 - 04:08 PM

What camera and scope combo are you using?  What is the field of view for that combo?

If you are using too narrow a field of view, ideally about 1 degree but should work down to about 1/2 degree, you may not be getting enough stars for the plate solver to reliable solve, especially as you get closer to the pole.  So maybe you are seeing enough stars at first, but when you make your initial adjustment it loses track and then doesn't solve again.

Try longer exposures to reveal more stars.  And make your adjustment slowly so that it can update as you move and the stars don't move so far it losses them.

#6 Night shift

Night shift

Viking 1

• Loc: Atlanta Ga.

Posted 19 February 2020 - 04:09 PM

Lets see some data on your setting? Have you been on the sharpcap forum? Lots of  info to be read.  Reread the settings needed and make adjustments as needed. Have you read the instructions ? 

• psandelle likes this

#7 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 19 February 2020 - 04:11 PM

What camera and scope combo are you using?  What is the field of view for that combo?

If you are using too narrow a field of view, ideally about 1 degree but should work down to about 1/2 degree, you may not be getting enough stars for the plate solver to reliable solve, especially as you get closer to the pole.  So maybe you are seeing enough stars at first, but when you make your initial adjustment it loses track and then doesn't solve again.

Try longer exposures to reveal more stars.  And make your adjustment slowly so that it can update as you move and the stars don't move so far it losses them.

okay. I am using the two most popular instruments for the SharpCap PA:  QHY5-L and the Orion guide-scope (FL 163mm).

but waiting for the values to change in step 3? they do not change. they stay the same. hhmm

your explanation:  "So maybe you are seeing enough stars at first, but when you make your initial adjustment it loses track and then doesn't solve again." 

is the only viable one I can think of.

#8 Night shift

Night shift

Viking 1

Posted 19 February 2020 - 04:12 PM

https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/

• psandelle likes this

#9 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 19 February 2020 - 04:14 PM

anyways, so this is not happening to anyone else?   I would think this happened to someone at some time. but no?  I guess it must be user error somewhere then.....    

But I think it is kind of strange that it gets to the second position, 90 degrees out from polar, and in the first platesolve it works, but then not after that.  So something is happening after that.

#10 Night shift

Night shift

Viking 1

Posted 19 February 2020 - 04:14 PM

https://docs.sharpca...m#_Toc523950226

• psandelle likes this

#11 Chuckwagon

Chuckwagon

Viking 1

• Loc: Orem, Utah, USA

Posted 19 February 2020 - 04:17 PM

That size field of view should be ok.  I'd try longer exposures and slower adjustments and see how it behaves.  I've never had it fail to update the numbers during the process, at least as long as it can keep solving frames.  And I've used longer and shorter Fls than this (with the same camera) and had no issues.  Maybe you have offended it somehow and it's just punishing you.  Perhaps you should sacrifice some french fries to it as an appeasement.  :)

• psandelle, Ballyhoo and Night shift like this

#12 psandelle

psandelle

Gemini

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 19 February 2020 - 05:07 PM

That size field of view should be ok.  I'd try longer exposures and slower adjustments and see how it behaves.  I've never had it fail to update the numbers during the process, at least as long as it can keep solving frames.  And I've used longer and shorter Fls than this (with the same camera) and had no issues.  Maybe you have offended it somehow and it's just punishing you.  Perhaps you should sacrifice some french fries to it as an appeasement.  smile.gif

funnypost.gif

Yup, used it with five different cameras on seven different scopes; never had that happen. Fries may not be enough.

Paul

#13 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 19 February 2020 - 05:35 PM

I just wonder what weirdness I bring to the process that makes this happen.

#14 Stelios

Stelios

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 19 February 2020 - 06:10 PM

I just wonder what weirdness I bring to the process that makes this happen.

No comment on that--but I do hope you read the info at the link in post #10.

I have had a different occasional issue with Sharpcap--reporting good PA when it isn't (verifiable by running SC a 2nd time, which brings it much closer), and the article gives some really excellent info as to why that happens and how to address it. 

• psandelle, Peter in Reno, csauer52 and 1 other like this

#15 psandelle

psandelle

Gemini

Posted 19 February 2020 - 06:23 PM

No comment on that--but I do hope you read the info at the link in post #10.

I have had a different occasional issue with Sharpcap--reporting good PA when it isn't (verifiable by running SC a 2nd time, which brings it much closer), and the article gives some really excellent info as to why that happens and how to address it. 

What Night shift and Stelios said: "Boss, Boss! The link!" Sounds like your problem is right there in the SharpCap link. At least there are things to try. I always find going to the source (manual/website/support) to be the best way to figure out these things. We're pretty good on CN for a lot of stuff, but the source/first principles tend to be even better.

Paul

• Peter in Reno and Night shift like this

#16 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 19 February 2020 - 06:37 PM

I just thought maybe someone experienced it before. If that was the case someone might have experience to go by. I was thinking I was doing everything correct as it plate-solved in position polaris and position 90 degrees out.   If no one has this experience then, unless someone who has yet to chime in, yeah I have to go back to the drawing board or , manual.

Edited by Ballyhoo, 19 February 2020 - 06:46 PM.

#17 psandelle

psandelle

Gemini

Posted 19 February 2020 - 06:54 PM

I just thought maybe someone experienced it before. If that was the case someone might have experience to go by. I was thinking I was doing everything correct as it plate-solved in position polaris and position 90 degrees out.   If no one has this experience then, unless someone who has yet to chime in, yeah I have to go back to the drawing board or , manual.

A part of that link really looks like your problem, if ya wanna look it over.

Paul

• Peter in Reno, Night shift and RossW like this

#18 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 19 February 2020 - 07:34 PM

A part of that link really looks like your problem, if ya wanna look it over.

Paul

thanks I will.

• psandelle likes this

#19 Night shift

Night shift

Viking 1

Posted 19 February 2020 - 08:39 PM

Bally Man. If you follow along this thread you will see we are all working with you to help you find answers on your own. You can do it, you just chose not to. Just a hint, it serves no purpose not supply data on your initial post and ask a question that involves settings. Without data its just SPAM.

• Peter in Reno and RossW like this

#20 AhBok

AhBok

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lakeland, TN

Posted 19 February 2020 - 08:53 PM

I’ve had similar happen. It messed my mind up until I figured it out. The guide scope I used was similar to yours with a wide field of view. When I was in Step 1, no problem solving, but it never solved after rotating the RA axis 90 degrees. Out of curiosity, I tried rotating 90 degrees the other direction and it worked. Why? An eave on the house was just barely protruding into the FOV. I could not see it at all on the screen, but I can reproduce the results consistently. I’ve noticed the same behavior in the field when getting too close to a tree branch.

#21 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 19 February 2020 - 08:55 PM

Bally Man. If you follow along this thread you will see we are all working with you to help you find answers on your own. You can do it, you just chose not to. Just a hint, it serves no purpose not supply data on your initial post and ask a question that involves settings. Without data its just SPAM.

I am sorry, you say I needed to provide the settings in my OP? I know a few of you, PiR especially are big on "find it yourself,"  but as I said the issue struck me as quite odd and I was especially curious of anyone else ever experienced this before. To be honest, with everything I have going on, not sure how much time I am going to dedicate to solving  it, though I did  go to the link and read the SC setup page from #10.  if I pay very close attention to where I place Polaris in my polar scope, using the android app, I really do not need SharpCap tool. It is just icing on the cake.

edit,

I can get  a really good native PA without SharpCap... so...

I’ve had similar happen. It messed my mind up until I figured it out. The guide scope I used was similar to yours with a wide field of view. When I was in Step 1, no problem solving, but it never solved after rotating the RA axis 90 degrees. Out of curiosity, I tried rotating 90 degrees the other direction and it worked. Why? An eave on the house was just barely protruding into the FOV. I could not see it at all on the screen, but I can reproduce the results consistently. I’ve noticed the same behavior in the field when getting too close to a tree branch.

Mine does solve in position 2. but does not adjust when I make a correction. But maybe that is where it is pointing. interesting.

Edited by Ballyhoo, 19 February 2020 - 08:56 PM.

#22 Stelios

Stelios

Cosmos

• Moderators

Posted 19 February 2020 - 08:59 PM

In my case, the neighbor's tree had grown two feet blush.gif

• psandelle and RossW like this

#23 Stelios

Stelios

Cosmos

• Moderators

Posted 19 February 2020 - 09:00 PM

I am sorry, you say I needed to provide the settings in my OP? I know a few of you, PiR especially are big on "find it yourself,"  but as I said the issue struck me as quite odd and I was especially curious of anyone else ever experienced this before. To be honest, with everything I have going on, not sure how much time I am going to dedicate to solving  it, though I did  go to the link and read the SC setup page from #10.  if I pay very close attention to where I place Polaris in my polar scope, using the android app, I really do not need SharpCap tool. It is just icing on the cake.

edit,

I can get  a really good native PA without SharpCap... so...

Mine does solve in position 2. but does not adjust when I make a correction. But maybe that is where it is pointing. interesting.

The most likely event is that it solved before you made the correction, but did not solve *after* you made the correction. Happens often especially early in the evening.

#24 Night shift

Night shift

Viking 1

Posted 19 February 2020 - 09:05 PM

"To be honest, with everything I have going on, not sure how much time I am going to dedicate to solving  it,"

Problem solving in this hobby is a big part of it. I am afraid to say that if you don't have time for it, you have a long uphill climb in front of you in this hobby.

You can do it.

• Peter in Reno likes this

#25 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 19 February 2020 - 10:17 PM

well, right now I got it to work like it should. Not sure why.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics