•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Even noobs can do it. post your first video's Here

astrophotography beginner dslr moon
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Lewis & Clark

Lewis & Clark

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Melbourne Australia

Posted 19 February 2020 - 08:59 PM

​I brought my very first telescope August 2019 a Celestron Se6, and my first DSLR  5 weeks ago, A nikon D3400, I'd never used editing software, but spent a few weeks figuring out how everything worked. 

Here is the result of footage and photos shot this week. 20/February/2020

https://www.youtube....Kzgmvwsho&t=52s

#2 Barlowbill

Barlowbill

Viking 1

• Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Posted 19 February 2020 - 09:36 PM

Very nice.  Saturn next

#3 Lewis & Clark

Lewis & Clark

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 February 2020 - 09:54 PM

Very nice.  Saturn next

Mate I'm Drooling. Its a few months till Jupiter and Saturn are Up high enough to Photograph, I'm in melbourne Australia, The Orion nebula is my target foe this month, I know it's Way out of my league. i tried a photo of 1 second exposure just to see if i could see it, this is all i got, i'm impressed for a 1 second exposure  https://imgur.com/LKTeaWX

#4 klaussius

klaussius

Ranger 4

• Loc: Buenos Aires

Posted 19 February 2020 - 10:05 PM

Mate I'm Drooling. Its a few months till Jupiter and Saturn are Up high enough to Photograph, I'm in melbourne Australia, The Orion nebula is my target foe this month, I know it's Way out of my league. i tried a photo of 1 second exposure just to see if i could see it, this is all i got, i'm impressed for a 1 second exposure  https://imgur.com/LKTeaWX

You're in for a treat when you get 30 seconds on it wink.gif

Not to mention a few hours (in the form of N x 30s)

Edited by klaussius, 19 February 2020 - 10:05 PM.

#5 Lewis & Clark

Lewis & Clark

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 February 2020 - 10:17 PM

You're in for a treat when you get 30 seconds on it wink.gif

Not to mention a few hours (in the form of N x 30s)

I'm 53 and to figure out that this is a passion of mine this late in life, seems that iv'e wasted so much time looking at what's in front of me instead of whats above me

• bmhjr likes this

#6 44maurer

44maurer

Viking 1

• Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted 20 February 2020 - 12:43 AM

I’m not a fan of ppl posting videos, UNLESS, they also post a pix of the end result. I want to know ahead of time if it is worth the time to go watch a video. I don’t mean this as negative, it’s just my opinion, I have better use of the few hours I have available then to start videos of something that wasn’t worth the time.

I’m sure I’m not alone on this sentiment.

#7 Lewis & Clark

Lewis & Clark

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 February 2020 - 02:07 AM

I’m not a fan of ppl posting videos, UNLESS, they also post a pix of the end result. I want to know ahead of time if it is worth the time to go watch a video. I don’t mean this as negative, it’s just my opinion, I have better use of the few hours I have available then to start videos of something that wasn’t worth the time.

We are all entitled to our own Opinion. I'm Proud of the End result, In my Opinion, it's a video worth watching if your a keen Astronomer!

#8 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 20 February 2020 - 02:59 AM

​I brought my very first telescope August 2019 a Celestron Se6, and my first DSLR  5 weeks ago, A nikon D3400, I'd never used editing software, but spent a few weeks figuring out how everything worked. 

Here is the result of footage and photos shot this week. 20/February/2020

https://www.youtube....Kzgmvwsho&t=52s

Did you know you can process the wavering video in a program called Registax, and come up with a sharp image?  It separates out the individual frames, help you pick the best ones, stacks them, and uses special sharpening techniques.  Here's one Youtube tutorial, the Solar System Imaging forum can help you out and point you to more.

https://www.youtube....h?v=JkTiVdx30CQ

Below is one I did that way.  Click on it for a better view.  The video it came from looked very much like yours.

I think you'd like this book.

http://www.astropix....bgda/index.html

One thing.  The very bright Moon and planets are pretty easy.  Even so-called bright deep space objects are hard, because they're much dimmer.  The book helps you by showing you how to use a camera and a lens for deep space.  Adding a scope makes things very difficult.  And expensive.

Moon.jpg

Edited by bobzeq25, 20 February 2020 - 03:24 AM.

• Lewis & Clark likes this

#9 Lewis & Clark

Lewis & Clark

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 February 2020 - 03:31 AM

Did you know you can process the wavering video in a program called Registax, and come up with a sharp image?  It separates out the individual frames, help you pick the best ones, stacks them, and uses special sharpening techniques.  Here's one Youtube tutorial, the Solar System Imaging forum can help you out and point you to more.

https://www.youtube....h?v=JkTiVdx30CQ

I think you'd like this book.

http://www.astropix....bgda/index.html

One thing.  The very bright Moon and planets are pretty easy.  Even so-called bright deep space objects are hard, because they're much dimmer.  The book helps you by showing you how to use a camera and a lens for deep space.  Adding a scope makes things very difficult.  And expensive.

That is An Amazing lunar shot........ I'd be so proud to have a photo like that under my belt!. I'll Tackle Registax once i've worked out all the gear and software i'm using now, ive only been doing  astrophotography for about 3 months, and video editing for about a week. so i'm still very new to this, i only brought my first scope last August. Only really been taking single shots and lunar videos, i will when the weather clears up. (i'm in Melbourne) you only get a few clear nights a month, i'll have a good crack at the Orion nebula, With that i'll defiantly have to have a basic working knowledge of Registax 6. I just had a look at beginners guide to the DSLR, If the Table of Content is anything to go by, It looks like a very comprehensive And well formatted Book, Cheers for That.

Edited by Lewis & Clark, 20 February 2020 - 03:45 AM.

#10 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 20 February 2020 - 03:36 AM

I'll Tackle Registax once i've worked out all the gear and software i'm using now, ive only been doing  astrophotography for about 3 months, and video editing for about a week. so i'm still very new to this, i only brought my first scope last August. Only really been taking single shots and lunar videos, i will when the weather clears up. (i'm in Melbourne) you only get a few clear nights a month, i'll have a good crack at the Orion nebula, With that i'll defiantly have to have a basic working knowledge of Registax 6.

You can try Orion on Registax, but don't be surprised if it doesn't work.  It's really only designed for the very bright Moon and planets, the math it uses doesn't work so well on the dim stuff.

The book explains it all _much_ better than short posts here.

Edited by bobzeq25, 20 February 2020 - 03:36 AM.

• Lewis & Clark likes this

#11 44maurer

44maurer

Viking 1

• Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted 21 February 2020 - 12:04 AM

We are all entitled to our own Opinion. I'm Proud of the End result, In my Opinion, it's a video worth watching if your a keen Astronomer!

I did not intend that as anything negative, only a recommendation. 

I also hope you were not thinking I was saying anything about your video, as I did not watch it.

#12 mohitk

mohitk

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: A valley in Southern California

Posted 21 February 2020 - 02:15 AM

As a complete newbie, this interests me - making sure I am not posting stuff (in the future!) that people are not a fan of . So can you please explain your dislike of videos, even though you say it is not a negative, but it does sound like a negative ? Especially if there are others who have the same sentiment. Is it the length of the videos ? Sure, a video of the moon can be stacked down to one single image, but I find there is something cool about videos too. And how am I supposed to make someone know ahead of time whether my video will be worth their time ?

Edited by mohitk, 21 February 2020 - 11:20 AM.

• Delta608 and bobzeq25 like this

#13 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 21 February 2020 - 06:28 AM

As a complete newbie, this interests me - making sure I am not posting stuff (in the future!) that people are not a fan of .

Post what you want to post, accept that there'll often be _someone_ who won't like it.  That's the Internet.  One excellent thing about Cloudy Nights is the wide range of people and opinions.  Occasionally, that will cause someone to criticize your post. <smile>

In this case I think some just didn't realize that all he had was the video, not a Registax image created from it.  It's common for people to look at things from their perspective.  It's a very human thing to do.

Edited by bobzeq25, 21 February 2020 - 06:31 AM.

• mohitk likes this

#14 rnyboy

rnyboy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rochester, NY

Posted 21 February 2020 - 12:57 PM

Here's an image of the waning crescent moon taken the end of January using my 6SE with ASI385MC imager.  The pasted in image below is of the first shorter AVI I captured.  The youtube link is to a one minute video of the moon a few minutes later of the same region on the moon.

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

My first avi captured on my first night out back in mid-January was of the Trapezium in M42, but it's not a very exciting avi for posting because of the lower brightness and I needed to stack the images from that avi and process in photoshop to get these...

https://www.cloudyni...45#entry9937989

uiYQgIQ.jpg

Edited by rnyboy, 21 February 2020 - 03:40 PM.

• bobzeq25 likes this

#15 Lewis & Clark

Lewis & Clark

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 February 2020 - 05:05 AM

Here's an image of the waning crescent moon taken the end of January using my 6SE with ASI385MC imager.  The pasted in image below is of the first shorter AVI I captured.  The youtube link is to a one minute video of the moon a few minutes later of the same region on the moon.

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

My first avi captured on my first night out back in mid-January was of the Trapezium in M42, but it's not a very exciting avi for posting because of the lower brightness and I needed to stack the images from that avi and process in photoshop to get these...

https://www.cloudyni...45#entry9937989

uiYQgIQ.jpg

Such Clarity, Very nice Mate

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, beginner, dslr, moon

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics