•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Planetary Nebula in M46 - NGC 2438

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Rustler46

Rustler46

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Coos Bay, Oregon

Posted 19 February 2020 - 11:26 PM

Here is a processed image made with my electronically assisting astronomy (EAA) rig. 

NGC 2438 49X6-sec C-11- processed.jpg

Celestron-11, f/6.3, ZWO ASI290MC video camera, live stack of 49 6-second exposures

Perhaps the image would have benefitted from using my atmospheric dispersion corrector (ADC), since the nebula was quite low in the sky. Maybe this is why there are blue fringes on one side of the bright star images. Also I need to explore including a dark frame* with the stack process, since there were many hot pixels. Most of these were removed from the image above. Likely all the green stars are groups of hot pixels.

*Dark frame subtraction is available in the Pro version of SharpCap. I've gotten a one year's license for SharpCap Pro. This will add many useful features.

Observing Report:

• Date and time of the observation = 2020 February 17, ~20:00 local time
  • Seeing & transparency conditions = fair seeing and transparency
  • Name of subject = NGC 2438, 1.2 X 1.1 arc-minutes (planetary nebula in foreground of M46)
  • Software/process used for the “live” capture = SharpCap, 294 seconds via 49 frames
  • Discussion of observations:
    After a go-to M46 (which was too large for the available FOV), I scanned around (with 1-second, high gain integrations) until the planetary nebula came into view as a ghostly disc. Then gain was adjusted to a mid value for the live stack shown. I was mostly focused on getting the hardware and software issues resolved. But the annular form and reddish rim of the annulus were noted as the stack was built. Most all of the bright stars are members of the open cluster M46.

I hope you enjoy.

Kind Regards,

Russ

Edited by Rustler46, 20 February 2020 - 03:37 AM.

• noodle, elmiko, chrysalis and 7 others like this

#2 clusterbuster

clusterbuster

Viking 1

• Loc: Tampa Bay, Fl.

Posted 20 February 2020 - 03:16 AM

That is a great shot!

Mark

Edited by clusterbuster, 20 February 2020 - 03:17 AM.

#3 Rustler46

Rustler46

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Coos Bay, Oregon

Posted 22 February 2020 - 02:29 AM

That is a great shot!

Mark

Thanks for the encouraging comment, Mark. The view provided by the EAA rig is by far the best of my experiences with that 11-inch aperture. It promises to be a game-changer for me, now that I've returned to visual observing. Electronically assisted astronomy is like a blending of the two ways of observing - visual and photographic.

My camera's tiny sensor (3.2 x 5.6 mm) makes for a constricted field of view with my regular telescopes. So now I'm experimenting with some old film-era telephoto lenses - 200mm f/4 and 135mm f/2.5. 

Pentax 135-2.5 & ZWO Video camera-00036.jpg

Pentax 135mm, f/2.5 lens with ZWO ASI290MC

Kind Regards,

Russ

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics