•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Basic Question on Planetary Imaging

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Bob Gillette

Bob Gillette

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 19 February 2020 - 11:30 PM

So, let us say I have decent monochrome tifs of Venus in UV and IR from AS!2.

How best, in what software, to align and combine these images to, first, make a synthetic green, then combine them to make a true color image?

I've had good luck with lunar imaging,  but Venus is my target this week

Advice appreciated,

Bob

#2 happylimpet

happylimpet

Skylab

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 20 February 2020 - 03:23 AM

Photoshop is very easy to use for this - and I really dont know much about photoshop.

#3 NenoVento

NenoVento

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tenerife (Canary Islands, Spain)

Posted 20 February 2020 - 04:49 AM

Or you can also try with the gimp:
https://www.gimp.org/
Regards,
NV

#4 Bob Gillette

Bob Gillette

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 20 February 2020 - 08:14 AM

Thank you both.

But...I use Photoshop for all my deep space image precessing, once I've aligned images in CCDStack.  But it's not clear to me that PS has an effective alignment function, and that would seem to be key.

Don't know Gimp, but looking at its tutorials, I don't see image alignment as a function there either.

#5 happylimpet

happylimpet

Skylab

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 20 February 2020 - 09:12 AM

If theres no rotation involved, either in the sense that you rotated the camera, or that the planet spun significantly, then WInJupos is useful, in particular for the latter case.

But if its just an offset (ie a bit left and down a bit) theres a nudge selection in Photoshop which does this fine. Probably GIMP too.

• bunyon likes this

#6 Bob Gillette

Bob Gillette

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 20 February 2020 - 01:02 PM

Thanks for this. I'll try WinJupos.

#7 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 21 February 2020 - 12:09 AM

Thank you both.

But...I use Photoshop for all my deep space image precessing, once I've aligned images in CCDStack.  But it's not clear to me that PS has an effective alignment function, and that would seem to be key.

Don't know Gimp, but looking at its tutorials, I don't see image alignment as a function there either.

WinJUPOS corrects for channels taken outside the maximum timespan allowable for each recording (there are general time duration recommendations, but this is dependant upon image scale - & different for different target planets) but if you have more than a single filter set of captures & the sum total does not exceed these maximum recommended durations you can approach combining as follows:.

You can effectively align these in P/shop by selecting the "Channels" as part of the toolbar options under the "Window" tab & adjusting the channels (using one as the base/fixed channel) pixel by pixel, with each channel you select...

AstraImage has a similar action within that software...but I'm not sure what you could construe as a "true colour" combing uV & iR images tbh Bob. wink.gif

#8 SgrB2

SgrB2

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ellicott City, MD

Posted 21 February 2020 - 08:38 AM

Try Image Post-Processor:

https://greatattract...ithub.io/imppg/

It's freeware and works very well for alignment.

You'll find the Alignment Sequence under Tools.

For convenience, place the images you want

to align in one folder....

Cheers,

SgrB2

• Gary Z likes this

#9 Bob Gillette

Bob Gillette

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 21 February 2020 - 11:09 PM

Thanks, guys.  Much helpful advice, which I'll try to apply to Venus images this week. By the time I can get the scope focused, I've got a window of about 15 minutes before it dives into New Hampshire's over-abundant trees.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics