•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The Whale & Crowbar Galaxies

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 SeymoreStars

SeymoreStars

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Pennsyltucky

Posted 20 February 2020 - 01:19 AM

NGC 4631 is a barred spiral galaxy in the constellation Canes Venatici. The galaxy's shape gives it the appearance of a whale.
It is located 30 million light years from Earth.
NGC 4656/57 is a warped barred spiral galaxy located in the constellation Canes Venatici and is nicknamed the Crowbar Galaxy.

This image is preliminary with only 30 minutes of data for each RGB channel.

Image10 ABE small

Edited by SeymoreStars, 20 February 2020 - 01:22 AM.

• mrowlands, Tim C, R Botero and 20 others like this

#2 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 20 February 2020 - 07:05 AM

That's a nice composition- bash mammal with big stick!

I previously imaged the whale galaxy with the C14. It show tremendous mottled detail. You've inspired me to go back with the RASA 11 and take another look.

Edited by pyrasanth, 20 February 2020 - 07:06 AM.

• SeymoreStars likes this

#3 SeymoreStars

SeymoreStars

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 20 February 2020 - 09:24 AM

That's a nice composition- bash mammal with big stick!

I previously imaged the whale galaxy with the C14. It show tremendous mottled detail. You've inspired me to go back with the RASA 11 and take another look.

I searched for your image and it's a beauty - https://www.cloudyni...ravian-g3-16200

Last night I was just experimenting with some binning which I have yet to create the calibration frames for. The weather wasn't expected to cooperate but it did for a couple hours anyway, allowing me to frame, focus and capture 90 minutes of data. Now I have to do the object justice and capture at least 3 more hours.

Thanks

Steve!!

#4 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 20 February 2020 - 09:51 AM

I searched for your image and it's a beauty - https://www.cloudyni...ravian-g3-16200

Last night I was just experimenting with some binning which I have yet to create the calibration frames for. The weather wasn't expected to cooperate but it did for a couple hours anyway, allowing me to frame, focus and capture 90 minutes of data. Now I have to do the object justice and capture at least 3 more hours.

Thanks

Steve!!

Thanks for your kind words. I think you would benefit from giving the forum a nice close up of the galaxy when you have captured a few more frames. I did click the link you provided but my laptop threw a tantrum & crashed (not your fault!)

I would love to see what your 17" is delivering over my 14". The galaxy really benefits from a larger aperture as its quite small on the CCD sensor- I dread to think how small it will be on the RASA sensor.

#5 SeymoreStars

SeymoreStars

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 20 February 2020 - 10:22 AM

Thanks for your kind words. I think you would benefit from giving the forum a nice close up of the galaxy when you have captured a few more frames. I did click the link you provided but my laptop threw a tantrum & crashed (not your fault!)

I would love to see what your 17" is delivering over my 14". The galaxy really benefits from a larger aperture as its quite small on the CCD sensor- I dread to think how small it will be on the RASA sensor.

Here it is...get.jpg?insecure

Image10 ABE cropped

pyrasanth with any luck I'll have about 3+ hours of data to add tomorrow.

Edited by SeymoreStars, 20 February 2020 - 12:18 PM.

• elmiko, happylimpet, pyrasanth and 1 other like this

#6 elmiko

elmiko

Skylab

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 21 February 2020 - 12:41 AM

Man, Steve you are having a great run of images! Great job on the two galaxies!

#7 SeymoreStars

SeymoreStars

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 21 February 2020 - 11:27 AM

Here's the updated Whale with an hour per channel.

Image26 cropped tiny

Details here - get.jpg?insecure

• elmiko and Dynan like this

#8 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 25 February 2020 - 07:23 AM

I like the image before the one that does not have the one hour per channel. It shows a lot more detail in the core. I would look again at the data & see if you can tease out more detail. Perhaps try a HDMR- did you use deconvolution on the data?

• happylimpet and SeymoreStars like this

#9 SeymoreStars

SeymoreStars

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 25 February 2020 - 08:09 AM

I like the image before the one that does not have the one hour per channel. It shows a lot more detail in the core. I would look again at the data & see if you can tease out more detail. Perhaps try a HDMR- did you use deconvolution on the data?

I see what you mean and will give that a try. Right now I'm recovering from 4 clear nights in a row, seriously.

#10 Jim Thommes

Jim Thommes

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • Loc: San DiegoCA USA

Posted 25 February 2020 - 02:57 PM

Nice image and composition Steve.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics