•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Berlebach Planet Wood Tripod for EQ6-R?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Gray

Gray

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Middle TN

Posted 20 February 2020 - 05:47 AM

I ordered this tripod https://www.bhphotov...tripod_for.html

for my skywatcher eq-6r mount.  After reading a few reviews I pulled the trigger ugh. I probably should've read more... 

I'm wondering if this tripod will be much better than the stock tripod?  I  wanted the look, and support. The metal tripod is an annoyance to me.  I mean the whole mount and tripod is heavy, and I hate clanking it on a doorway going outside. 

I also ordered this case https://www.bhphotov...ripod_case.html

and hope, but unsure if the tripod will fit?

This thing was expensive.  I like the wood look.  I read somewhere the skywatcher tripod is a weak link where they flex under loads and vibrations with bigger scopes while looking at planets could be a problem.  The specs say it's rated at 264#, which I think would be okay for a 10" F4.7 newt.  Hopefully better than the stock unit.  I plan on using the newt visually with planets in mind (deepsky as well), but also want to try imaging planets. Just wanted some user opinions if this was a good "investment".  I hope to keep the thing and it be worth something one day too corny as that may sound...Thanks in advance!

#2 luxo II

luxo II

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 20 February 2020 - 06:06 AM

You won’t regret it - damping is vastly better than the stock tripod. On soft soil or sand it is quite important to push the feet well in to achieve full rigidity. Here's what sits on top of mine... and it's a 10" f/12 so frankly yours is no problem at all...

Attached Thumbnails

• APM-Wirth mak.jpg

Edited by luxo II, 20 February 2020 - 06:46 AM.

• Neptune and Gray like this

#3 Neptune

Neptune

Apollo

• Loc: Georgia

Posted 20 February 2020 - 06:32 AM

You can't beat the look. I almost purchased one for my AP 900 mount and EDF175 APO, but Roland suggested against it. <g>

Edited by Neptune, 20 February 2020 - 06:33 AM.

• Gray likes this

#4 Gray

Gray

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 February 2020 - 06:59 AM

Thanks for the replies.  I still wonder if the case will fit.  Not sure of the collapsed diameter of the head.  The tripod certainly looks beautiful though.  I bought the rubber feet off Amazon.  Speaking of AP, they were charging almost double ($60) for the feet, guess Roland has to eat too (but certainly not hamburger meat).  Hoping for clear skies Friday evening and decent seeing to evaluate the newt. I'm hoping for a decent mirror.  I told the fiancee I ordered it when they showed three in stock and afterwards they were sold out.  Next day delivery..If they're out I'll have to look elsewhere.  Nice Maks for sure! 

Edited by Gray, 21 February 2020 - 01:41 AM.

#5 greenjuice

greenjuice

Viking 1

• Loc: NW CT.

Posted 20 February 2020 - 09:29 AM

Hi gray.

First light optics specs out the transportable length of the Planet tripod as 38”, so with your case that gives you 8 or 9” to fit the mount ?

I got the Uni18 tripod to hold my new AZ100 mount but I’m planning on getting a separate case for the mount head eventually. Seems it would be safer for transport.

C1100999-BAB6-427E-8AA5-17FDEB5C0417.jpeg 2822304E-13F4-46E8-AA34-A5ACFD71C7D8.jpeg

• SteveG, Neptune and Gray like this

#6 Gray

Gray

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 February 2020 - 09:45 PM

Hi Mel!

Looks great!  Also got an email saying tripod and bag shipped, should be here tomorrow!  Hope the tripod fits.  I will take pics and update tomorrow evening if all is okay.  Can't wait to see this beautiful tripod waytogo.gif

Edited by Gray, 20 February 2020 - 09:47 PM.

• greenjuice likes this

#7 luxo II

luxo II

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 21 February 2020 - 01:32 AM

By the way the case does fit the Planet - I have one of those.

• Gray likes this

#8 Gray

Gray

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 February 2020 - 06:46 AM

Well folks, I was let down and only received the tripod bag.  Tripod was supposed to be delivered with case on Friday, 2-21.  But B&H shipped the bag instead.  Fed-Ex picked the tripod up Friday morning.  So, I have a bag and no tripod lol.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics