•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Can I have sources on how a binoviewer works?

beginner accessories optics
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 vpro8725

vpro8725

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 February 2020 - 10:02 AM

Hello, I am a High School Student who just started Optics. I was assigned an assignment to do research on an optical device. I chose a binoviewer, because I thought that it would be interesting. I saw a few images and understood how it works. However, I need some good, reputable sources for my research. I have browsed through the pages of Google to no avail, so I'm here asking for help. Can you guys send me some links to reputable sources?

#2 Garyth64

Garyth64

Aurora

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 20 February 2020 - 10:21 AM

Welcome to CN.

Just google, "optical layout of binoculars"

#3 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 20 February 2020 - 10:25 AM

https://en.wikipedia...wiki/Binoviewer

Google search is useful.

Optics are simple - 50/50 beam splitter then basic prisms to deliver both halves to eyepieces with the same path length.

Looking at the diagram the 50/50 split is the first 45 degree one. Since glass is lesser reflection at 45 the a simple 50% must be coated to achieve the correct reflection/transmission. After that everything should be reflected so presume the 45 degrees angles on the end of each prism is silvered.

• faackanders2 likes this

#4 Justin Fuller

Justin Fuller

Viking 1

• Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted 20 February 2020 - 10:52 AM

https://www.rp-photo..._splitters.html beamsplitter info

https://www.rp-photo...com/prisms.html prism info

I would consider RP photonics a reputable source. 

You'll have to piece together the info to understand how the binoviewer as a whole works, but doing that work will help you understand your topic better.

More than a webpage, I recommend your school library or local library for books on basic optics/ introduction to optics. Look for Modern Optical Engineering by Warren Smoth, the chapter on prisms and mirror systems will provide all the info you need and is a highly reputable source.

Edited by Justin Fuller, 20 February 2020 - 11:07 AM.

• faackanders2 likes this

#5 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 20 February 2020 - 11:59 AM

You might also want to include that there are two fundamentally-different approaches to splitting the light to reach both eyes equally. One uses an optical coating that transmits half of the light and reflects the other half. The other approach disjointly diverts half of the light in one direction and half in the other direction. Here is a cloudy nights link to that second approach. Both approaches have their advantages and disadvantages.

Note: Here, on Cloudy Nights, we tend to think of everything, first and foremost, in terms of astronomical applications. But, Binoviewers (as we know them today) have been ubiquitously used for microscopy before becoming rather popular among avocational astronomers.

Here's that link >>>

https://www.cloudyni...er-mini-review/

#6 vpro8725

vpro8725

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 February 2020 - 01:43 PM

Hey guys,

Thanks for the great advice. I managed to find a pretty great journal article by Geoff Gaherty. He clearly lists out the functions of the binoviewer, how it works, and the pros+cons. You can find it here (p.24).

Thanks again for the help!

• REC likes this

#7 faackanders2

faackanders2

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 February 2020 - 09:40 PM

Also check out a local astronomy club and look through them.  Make your science project fun, and not just optical drawings and math.  Experience how they work and why astronomers like them!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beginner, accessories, optics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics