•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Explore Scientific 4.5mm 82° (LER)

eyepieces
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Xristopher

Xristopher

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 February 2020 - 10:59 AM

Hello to everyone,

I'm new here and i'm interested on the new Explore Scientific 4.5mm 82° (LER).

I own a 4 inch, f5.4 refractor and i'm in search of an EP (approx 4mm to 4.5mm) to reach the maximum useful magnification (approx 120x) of my telescope and with apparent field of view above 70° (ideally 82°) .

All i know about this EP is that a batch was recalled (according to another thread in this forum) but no one has compare it to the older Explore Scientific 4.7mm 82°.

A comparison between the two EPs mostly about the image quality (apart from the longer eye relief and their difference in weight) would be very useful to know if the 4.5mm worth the extra money.

Clear skies!
Christopher, Greece.

#2 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 20 February 2020 - 11:21 AM

Just from curiosity which 4" f/5.4 refractor?

That seems fast for any refractor, even my triplet is around f/6 and it is 80mm. So at 100mm area I would have questions. Suppose TMB made some around that specification. Few (well none) others come to mind.

#3 rkelley8493

rkelley8493

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Troy, Alabama

Posted 20 February 2020 - 11:48 AM

Hello to everyone,

I'm new here and i'm interested on the new Explore Scientific 4.5mm 82° (LER).

I own a 4 inch, f5.4 refractor and i'm in search of an EP (approx 4mm to 4.5mm) to reach the maximum useful magnification (approx 120x) of my telescope and with apparent field of view above 70° (ideally 82°) .

All i know about this EP is that a batch was recalled (according to another thread in this forum) but no one has compare it to the older Explore Scientific 4.7mm 82°.

A comparison between the two EPs mostly about the image quality (apart from the longer eye relief and their difference in weight) would be very useful to know if the 4.5mm worth the extra money.

Clear skies!
Christopher, Greece.

Hi Christopher, and welcome to Cloudy Nights welcome.gif

I can't speak about the Explore Sci 4.5 or 4.7 82° performance, but I can give you another option. The Baader Morpheus line is a 76° FOV long eye relief design. I think they cost just slightly more than the Explore Sci's, but they perform very well.

• eros312, brentknight and jmillsbss like this

#4 Xristopher

Xristopher

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 February 2020 - 11:49 AM

Just from curiosity which 4" f/5.4 refractor?

That seems fast for any refractor, even my triplet is around f/6 and it is 80mm. So at 100mm area I would have questions. Suppose TMB made some around that specification. Few (well none) others come to mind.

Its a Celestron TrailSeeker 100 which is listed as spotting scope. I know it not a professional instrument, but it accepts astronomical eyepieces, it has focuser with micro adjustments and i think the 100mm objective lens make it capable of lunar and planet observation. The thing is that in the future i want to invest on a better instrument with better optics so i want to buy a nice EP to serve me for years. After a lot of search and taking into account my budjet (just below 200 euros for EP, can't afford TeleVue) i ended up between ES 4.5mm 82° and ES 4.7mm 82° but don't know which one has the best image quality yet. (I do not wear eyeglasses so the extra ER is just a bonus for me and the extra weight of the 4.5mm version is not a problem either).

#5 Xristopher

Xristopher

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 February 2020 - 12:00 PM

I can't speak about the Explore Sci 4.5 or 4.7 82° performance, but I can give you another option. The Baader Morpheus line is a 76° FOV long eye relief design. I think they cost just slightly more than the Explore Sci's, but they perform very well.

Thank you for your suggestion.

I'm aware of the great optical quality of the Baader Morpheus 76° 4.5mm but its at a bit higher price than my budget.

• rkelley8493 likes this

#6 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 February 2020 - 12:56 PM

My general sense is no one buys the new 4.5 because they still don’t have enough ER for glasses so they don’t seem to offer much compared to the proven 4.7 to justify a price premium. So you are correct that there hasn’t been much chatter on these.

Might I suggest a Meade 5.5 instead? The 4.5 will give higher power but probably too much for such a fast achro. The image will be more degraded from CA compared to a 5.5. And the Meade is quite cheap and gets rave reviews.

Scott
  • Bigzmey likes this

#7 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 20 February 2020 - 02:44 PM

The original 4.7mm is a decent eyepiece, and the Meade 5.5 gets good reviews.

It's better to have a high power eyepiece you'll use a lot.

I recommend about 25-35x/inch of aperture for a practical high power.

#8 Xristopher

Xristopher

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 February 2020 - 04:47 PM

My general sense is no one buys the new 4.5 because they still don’t have enough ER for glasses so they don’t seem to offer much compared to the proven 4.7 to justify a price premium. So you are correct that there hasn’t been much chatter on these.

Might I suggest a Meade 5.5 instead? The 4.5 will give higher power but probably too much for such a fast achro. The image will be more degraded from CA compared to a 5.5. And the Meade is quite cheap and gets rave reviews.

Scott

The original 4.7mm is a decent eyepiece, and the Meade 5.5 gets good reviews.

It's better to have a high power eyepiece you'll use a lot.

I recommend about 25-35x/inch of aperture for a practical high power.

Thanks for your suggestions.

I will probably go with the 4.7mm version to have a high power EP.

My next two EPs are going to be the ES 11mm 82° for mid power and the ES 24mm 68° to maximaze TFOV.

Thanks for your help!

#9 Bigzmey

Bigzmey

Vostok 1

• Loc: San Diego

Posted 20 February 2020 - 04:57 PM

Scott

I second Meade 5000 UWA 5.5mm. It will be closer to 1mm exit pupil in your scope, will cost you less and performs as good as ES82.

#10 AaronF

AaronF

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Barcelona, Spain

Posted 21 February 2020 - 05:43 AM

Here in Europe the Baader Morpheus line is about twice the price of the Explore Scientific 82° line. For you guys they're similar prices.

I bought the ES82 4.5 LER. It cost me €100-ish on sale from Bresser's site. The cheapest I've seen the Morpheus is €220 from FLO. Normally it's €245 or thereabouts.

OP, if you can wait then I recommend hanging on and seeing if one comes up for sale.

• rkelley8493 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eyepieces

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics