•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

EQ6-R - Firmware Updater won't Recognize H/C!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 stream41

stream41

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 February 2020 - 01:14 PM

Hi guys - this is with the new USB version of the mount and V5 hand controller.

I installed the newest PL2032 (or whatever) USB to serial driver. I'm holding 0/8 on the H/C and plugging from USB on the laptop to USB on the H/C. It starts up and says "Synscan Update Version 2.6". I hear the "ding" in Windows, and in Device Manager I can see the port show up - COM 3. However, when I click "Check H/C" in the firmware updater program, it fails to find a H/C. This is both with "Auto detect" on and off and manually choosing COM3. Motor controller updater doesn't work either.

I have the ASCOM platform installed, and I also installed that ASCOM driver from the SW website.

Any ideas?

#2 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Gemini

Posted 20 February 2020 - 03:10 PM

Gday Stream41

Its a long time since i updated my firmware ( EQ6Pro ),

but on many times i tried, the firmware app would fail on the first button press,

but if i then pressed the go button a second time ( ie retry ), it worked.

Could never figure out why.

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

#3 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Aurora

• Moderators
  • Loc: Iowa, USA

Posted 20 February 2020 - 03:15 PM

On the EQ6r, do you have to have the HC plugged into the mount to update the HC?

#4 stream41

stream41

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 February 2020 - 05:10 PM

Figured it out - bad USB port on the H/C! Worked out just what face to make while plugging in the cable, and managed to get it through the update cycle. Motor controller of course went smoothly since I could plug direct from laptop to mount. New H/C on the way from SW soon!

#5 kel123

kel123

Messenger

• -----

Posted 20 February 2020 - 08:52 PM

What is happening to EQ6-R Synscan hand controller these days? I have seen a handful of failure complaints.

Why is it that it is the hand controller bundled with EQ6-R that are failing since similar controller accompanies other mounts from Skywatcher and even Orion?

Could it be that there is something about the motherboard of the mount that is killing these handsets?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics