•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Treasures of Orion - First light with Canon EOS Ra

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Aurora

• topic starter
  • Loc: SoCal

Posted 20 February 2020 - 03:34 PM

Here is a first light image with my new Canon EOS Ra. This image still needs work. I have not yet applied flats but Astro Pixel Processor was still quite effective in removing most vignetting and gradients - some still remain but will require a reprocess once I have taken the flats. Transparency was being impacted by a very light layer of passing clouds / moisture.

Still getting to grips with the camera. This was really a trial run and the image came out much better than I expected.

Also goofed up on the mount setup. Used my Skywatcher Az-Gti which can quite easily do 2-3min unguided exposures at this focal length. But ended up limiting sub exposures to 60s as I was not getting good star shapes. Only at the end of the session did I realize that I forgot to lock the RA axis after polar alignment! 

The camera is a real joy to use. Superb sensitivity and I really love the 30x zoom feature. It was derided by a lot of users but to me it is one of the most useful tools you could ask for. So easy to nail focus even without a focus mask. I am imaging with a DSLR after almost a decade and I had forgotten just how much fun it is.

Canon EOS Ra, Samyang 135mm @ F2, Skywatcher AZ-GTi, SharpCap (for PA), BackyardEoS and processing completely in Astro Pixel processor.

Lights 70x60s (sensor temp stabilized at 15 deg C for most subs)

Darks 15x60s

From the SDAA dark site SQM ~21.4 but with passing light clouds

The image has been resized and heavily compressed for CN. You can see a slightly larger (although not the full resolution image) version here: https://raniobservat...sures-of-orion/

Orion Canon EOS Ra Samyang 135mm F2 70x60s Az - GTi Resized For CN.jpg

Edited by Astrojedi, 20 February 2020 - 03:39 PM.

• F.Meiresonne, StephenW, zjc26138 and 32 others like this

#2 Tdesert63

Tdesert63

Vostok 1

Posted 20 February 2020 - 04:19 PM

Wow very nice,
  • Astrojedi likes this

#3 cst4

cst4

Viking 1

Posted 20 February 2020 - 04:32 PM

Very nice pic.  I love that area of the sky.  I wouldn't mind trying some AP with my AZ-GTi...  how did you polar align it in EQ mode?  

• Astrojedi likes this

#4 2ghouls

2ghouls

Apollo

Posted 20 February 2020 - 04:42 PM

Very nice result!

• Astrojedi likes this

#5 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 20 February 2020 - 04:58 PM

That is a very beautiful pic. Thanks.
  • Astrojedi likes this

#6 petert913

petert913

Skylab

• Loc: Silverton, OR

Posted 20 February 2020 - 05:21 PM

Boy, that Ra surely captures good Ha !!

• Astrojedi likes this

#7 wxcloud

wxcloud

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Denver, Co

Posted 20 February 2020 - 08:17 PM

Very nice! I've been waiting to see some real world images from this camera!
  • Astrojedi likes this

#8 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 20 February 2020 - 09:36 PM

Thanks everyone for the comments and likes.

Cst4, I polar align using SharpCap. Really easy and very accurate.
  • Juno18 likes this

#9 cst4

cst4

Viking 1

Posted 20 February 2020 - 09:56 PM

Thanks everyone for the comments and likes.

Cst4, I polar align using SharpCap. Really easy and very accurate.

Don’t know anything about it. I’ll have to read up. Thanks. 

#10 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 21 February 2020 - 07:32 PM

OK. No one cares about whether some other camera may or may not be as good as the RA, particularly when the claim is not backed up by raw data and numbers etc.. That just confuses good equipment and/or processing with raw data quality. If you want to continue to have a discusson about the RA, then please do so. If you want to talk about other cameras in a subjective manner, start your own thread, please. 

Rgrds-Ross

• Ron359, Delta608 and Miguelo like this

#11 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 22 February 2020 - 04:12 AM

Nice shot.

I just looked the specs up from the EOS RA

Intereresting but expensive...

I did not know Canon had a camera specific for AP.

Anyhow it is way out of my budget, i'll stick to my 800d..

#12 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 22 February 2020 - 09:34 AM

Yes it is a little expensive but made sense for me. I was looking for a new full frame mirrorless camera for both daytime and AP. Overall the price difference between buying a non modified camera and getting it modified with the right filter was not that much vs. the Ra about $200-300 difference. Plus I wanted the manufacturer warranty. The 30x feature is also really useful as I travel to remote locations for AP and it makes focusing really easy without a laptop, software or electronic focuser and I am not dependent on a focus mask which does not always work with many of my camera lenses especially the large ones with petal hoods. I am really happy with the sensitivity and complete user experience of this camera. The data is excellent.

Edited by Astrojedi, 22 February 2020 - 11:27 AM.

• F.Meiresonne, Prima Luna and Miguelo like this

#13 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 22 February 2020 - 05:12 PM

Here is the image with the flats calibration applied. It was so much easier to remove the gradients after calibration. There was just dust and nebulosity everywhere.

I don't like over processed images so my processing is very minimal. This was literally just 5mins worth of post processing in APP vs. the 45mins it had taken earlier to remove the gradients.

Resized for CN Orion EOS Ra 135mm F2 72x60s.jpg

Slightly higher resolution version here:  https://raniobservat...sures-of-orion/

Edited by Astrojedi, 22 February 2020 - 05:21 PM.

• F.Meiresonne, zjc26138, nofxrx and 9 others like this

#14 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 23 February 2020 - 06:12 PM

Nice shot!

I don't like processing much either. I don't have it in the fingers anyhow yet but to me it remains important what is coming from the camera and keep it like that, or at least as much is possible.

And sometimes it is amazing what you can get. I got M13 months ago, a single shot 60 sec. Quite impressive , allthough without color but i looked alot like the view in my 18" visual,only in this case it was taken with a refractor of 102 mm.

• Astrojedi likes this

#15 Swordfishy

Swordfishy

Ranger 4

• Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 24 February 2020 - 04:49 PM

Tons of Pontential there...  I shot the same, with similar setup, except Sony Camera. At F2.8 I found I could keep the details n the core by shooting 15 second exposures, then using masks gradually to protect it as much as possible in Pixinsight. I LOVE how much dark matter you got... Man, I need to modify my cam...

• Miguelo and Astrojedi like this

#16 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 24 February 2020 - 10:11 PM

Actually the details are blown out in the core because of the stretch I applied. The right way would have been to mask and stretch as you mention but I did not bother as this was a quick process. I may process if further in Pixinsight later.

• Miguelo and Swordfishy like this

#17 nate9862

nate9862

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 26 February 2020 - 09:18 AM

Don’t know anything about it. I’ll have to read up. Thanks. 

I've been using SharpCap for the last few months to polar align -- it's fantastic.  Very easy to get a very accurate polar alignment, and quick, too.  My only issue is that I have to use my guidescope to perform the polar alignment, which I assume isn't really a big deal.  I have a Nikon D5100 and it seems like SharpCap doesn't support DSLRs.  I'd rather use my OTA to polar align, but until I get a dedicated astro camera, I'm going to stick with my guide scope.  I regularly get <0.3 tot error guiding, so it seems to be working for me.

#18 niteskyze

niteskyze

Sputnik

Posted 19 March 2020 - 12:34 AM

Wow - that kind of money for an uncooled OSC ? Really? The Atik 460EX is far superior if you want to go the OSC route - but that is a whole other questionable choice.  To each their own, right?  Good luck with it -- I  hope you don't get disappointed down the road --  CS to all

#19 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 19 March 2020 - 01:03 AM

That is imo the wrong way to look at this. This is typically what quality full frame mirrorless DSLRs cost. I have been doing astrophotography for 15+ years with DSLRs, CCDs and now CMOS. All full frame DSLRs I have owned including my older EoS and Sony A7s costed the same. Not sure why folks are so worked up over this camera’s price. In fact this camera generates what to my eyes are some of the best images I have obtained. Really superb.

The HA sensitivity and astro suitability is a bonus. In my view this is very good value given the versatility of the camera. I do lots of landscape photography, Milky Way shots, time lapses and astrophotography. It really checks all the boxes for me. 

Of course this camera is not suitable for certain folks such as yourself which is fine.

Regarding the Atik 460, I have used it in the past but it is a very small sensor and not suitable for applications such as Milky Way shots and time lapses. For imaging with a scope there are now much better dedicated and cooled Astro cameras on the market but that is a different discussion.

Edited by Astrojedi, 19 March 2020 - 01:05 AM.

• zjc26138, nofxrx, SandyHouTex and 2 others like this

#20 zjc26138

zjc26138

Loved By All

• Loc: Steubenville, Ohio

Posted 19 March 2020 - 06:06 AM

That's a fantastic image!

• Astrojedi likes this

#21 Alen K

Alen K

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 March 2020 - 07:06 AM

Wow - that kind of money for an uncooled OSC ? Really? The Atik 460EX is far superior if you want to go the OSC route - but that is a whole other questionable choice.  To each their own, right?  Good luck with it -- I  hope you don't get disappointed down the road --  CS to all

As pointed out, apples to oranges. This is closer to what you should be comparing the Ra to:

https://www.highpoin...led-cmos-camera

The Ra isn't looking so expensive now, is it? No, it's not cooled but if you image in any amount of light pollution and/or you image in cool or cold ambient conditions, lack of cooling is not the limiting factor. This has been demonstrated time and again. What you get instead of cooling is versatility for all other kinds of photography. Try taking vacation photos with a cooled astrocamera.

PS. I'm thinking of going into the CCD/CMOS forum and slagging a few cooled astrocameras for the comparatively puny size of their sensors. Naw, on second thought I'll take the high road. :D

Edited by Alen K, 19 March 2020 - 07:16 AM.

• SandyHouTex, Miguelo, 2ghouls and 1 other like this

#22 niteskyze

niteskyze

Sputnik

Posted 19 March 2020 - 08:27 AM

As pointed out, apples to oranges. This is closer to what you should be comparing the Ra to:

https://www.highpoin...led-cmos-camera

The Ra isn't looking so expensive now, is it?

Actually this is the better comparison:

https://astronomy-im...200mc-pro-color

What you get instead of cooling is versatility for all other kinds of photography. Try taking vacation photos with a cooled astrocamera.

Ummmm, the Ra is NB optimized so I don't think you are going to be shooting your vacay snaps with it but to each his own.  And thank you for making my point -- the Ra is a hopped up point and shoot - a cooled mono sensor is actually the more versatile choice.

#23 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 19 March 2020 - 08:43 AM

I am really not getting what you are trying to prove by arguing with everyone on this thread. Honestly we get it. It is not for you. But that does not mean it does not make sense for others.

I have a 6200 mono on order but despite that I feel it makes sense for me. You can argue with that all you like but it does not change a thing.

A 6200 mono is no where close as versatile. I cannot do landscapes, daytime photography, time lapses etc. with it. It does not run on built in batteries or without a PC/ASIAir which makes it very inconvenient for me as I travel a lot to remote locations etc. I could go on but somehow I feel you are not really interested in the merits of the camera.

P.S. The Ra is works perfectly well for daylight photography. I just used it for a family event last month. Do your homework.

Edited by Astrojedi, 19 March 2020 - 09:01 AM.

• Ron359, SandyHouTex and Miguelo like this

#24 niteskyze

niteskyze

Sputnik

Posted 19 March 2020 - 08:59 AM

P.S. The Ra is works perfectly well for daylight photography. In fact I just used it for a family event last month. Do your homework before you start debating merits.

Ummm --- please do YOUR research before "slagging" another user --

https://www.usa.cano...rrorless/eos-ra

DISCLAIMERS

^ The EOS Ra camera is not recommended for general photography, since the camera cannot achieve normal color balance when shooting subjects that emit or reflect infrared radiation.

Edited by niteskyze, 19 March 2020 - 09:03 AM.

#25 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 19 March 2020 - 09:04 AM

Ummm --- yup do YOUR research --

https://www.usa.cano...rrorless/eos-ra

DISCLAIMERS

^ The EOS Ra camera is not recommended for general photography, since the camera cannot achieve normal color balance when shooting subjects that emit or reflect infrared radiation.

Seriously, I have this camera and have used it for daylight photography. It works perfectly fine. First go gain some first hand experience with the camera then come argue the merits with me. Your knowledge of this camera is limited to what you read on a website.

The response is only extended a few nm into the red spectrum. It is not a naked sensor. A custom white balance fixes it very easily.

The Canon disclaimer is for users who are not used to using custom white balance or cannot figure it out leading to unnecessary returns and/or warranty claims.

Edited by Astrojedi, 19 March 2020 - 10:07 AM.

• Miguelo likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics