•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Connective issues with Mount and Computer

astrophotography beginner
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SpaceManSam

SpaceManSam

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: Springfield MO

Posted 20 February 2020 - 11:32 PM

Hello! Im Sam, A 16 Yr old VERY newbie astrophotographer who just got a camera and is mounting onto a Skywatcher NEQ6 Pro with Orion ED80T CF. I plugged in the needed serial cables from the hand controller to the a usb port in my laptop. My device manager says the cable is working properly but when I open EQMOD for heq5/6 and I attempt to connect via ASCOM, the program tells me the connection has timed out and failed. I dont have many ideas of what to do right now but hence why im posting here. I'd appreciate all the help I can get and I can also video call etc to make this a bit easier. I've included a few pictures to show what the cables are looking like for the mount to PC connection. Thanks for reading and helping! ~Sam

#2 rk2k2

rk2k2

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cool, CA

Posted 20 February 2020 - 11:52 PM

I'm not familiar with EQMOD but I know for my setup I had to download and install the ASCOM Platform onto my computer. 

#3 Astrola72

Astrola72

Viking 1

• Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 20 February 2020 - 11:59 PM

Sam -

Welcome to Cloudy Nights. Hopefully you will hear from one of the many folks here who use EQMOD. I'm not one of them but I am familiar with ASCOM in general. Are you sure you have the correct ASCOM driver installed?

Joe

Edited by Astrola72, 21 February 2020 - 12:00 AM.

• bobzeq25 likes this

#4 james7ca

james7ca

Cosmos

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 21 February 2020 - 12:57 AM

I suspect that you might also need to verify that the serial protocol (data rate, data bits, start, stop, and parity) is set correctly for your mount. This should have been confirmed during the initial setup of your serial hardware and if NOT then that could be an issue. Just something to check before you dig deeper.

#5 GoFish

GoFish

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Kentucky / Colorado

Posted 21 February 2020 - 05:36 PM

Hey, Sam.

I've been using EQMOD with my Atlas mount (NEQ6) for long enough to have forgotten most of what needs to be done to get it set up.  Once configured, though, it just works night after night.

One thing jumped out at me in your post:  sounds like you are connecting through the HC?  The EQMOD project folks really discourage this.  Instead, you should use an EQDIRECT cable and go directly from computer USB to mount DB9.  I have made cables myself and have purchased them from Shoestring.  Shoestring is the way to go, in my experience.

Also, you didn't mention a planetarium program for pointing the scope?  The two very popular choices are Cartes du Ciel and Stellarium.  I prefer CdC.  Whichever you choose, though, you will connect it to your scope using ASCOM, once you have EQMOD up and running.

What I recall about setting up EQMOD the first time was that you needed to know the COM port number for the new port created by your cable.  So hook up the cable, then check control panel for the new port number.

The big thing, though, is to bypass the HC and go directly to the mount.  Good luck.

#6 Kevin Ross

Kevin Ross

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Traverse City, MI

Posted 22 February 2020 - 12:02 AM

Using EQMOD with the hand controller, you need to go into the menus on the controller and put it into "PC Direct" mode.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, beginner

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics