•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My favourite reticle EP (just sayin')

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 doole

doole

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Winnipeg (that other outback)

Posted 20 February 2020 - 11:43 PM

Baader 'Polaris'. Pretty decent optics, built like a tank, doesn't fall apart just because you changed the battery (ahem,) ...and it goes to 11 smile.gif (Down through the decades I've tried several others and they were all just stupid.) Just a plain vanilla crosshair that actually works...

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4567.jpeg

• eros312 and j.gardavsky like this

#2 25585

Cosmos

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 21 February 2020 - 04:48 AM

15.5mm eye relief

Attached Files

#3 Jon Isaacs  Happy Birthday!

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 21 February 2020 - 06:58 AM

My favorite reticule eyepiece is one I made using a 24mm TeleVue Widefield.  I use it in my RACI finders.  I do not like illuminated reticules, they won't dim down enough.  I made the cross hairs from 0.004" hard brass wire.  I have no trouble seeing them under dark skies.

The 24mm TV WIde Field is not the sharpest eyepiece off- axis in an F/4 finder but it's sharper than any reticule eyepiece I have ever looked though.

Jon

• 25585 likes this

#4 doole

doole

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Winnipeg (that other outback)

Posted 21 February 2020 - 12:48 PM

15.5 mm eye relief, yes. It's an ortho, I think. The pot isn't a pot - it's a selector switch, and the resulting intensities seem to be comfortable. (Except maybe 11 - which you can see in daylight...)

Edited by doole, 21 February 2020 - 12:55 PM.

#5 Jaimo!

Jaimo!

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Exit 135

Posted 21 February 2020 - 01:47 PM

When I use a reticle eyepiece (aligning a camera through a flip mirror, or precisely aligning a GoTo) I do not usually worry about the quality of the optics.  I have an older Orion 12.5mm Plossl and a Celestron or Meade 12.5mm Kellner, both get the job done equally well.

Jaimo!

#6 Jon Isaacs  Happy Birthday!

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 21 February 2020 - 02:01 PM

The requirements of a finder reticule eyepiece and an alignment or guiding eyepiece are quite different.. For a finder, a wide, well corrected field with the least possible illumination are important. No illumination is best.

Jon

#7 Jaimo!

Jaimo!

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Exit 135

Posted 21 February 2020 - 04:13 PM

Does anybody guide with an eyepiece anymore?

J

• doole likes this

#8 mac57

mac57

Viking 1

• Loc: DeLand of Oz, Florida

Posted 21 February 2020 - 07:39 PM

Are non-illuminated crosshairs used easily?  I've been thinking of getting one, and I like the idea of no batteries.  I would use it primarily on my 5" Mak.  But I sadly have the typical suburban sky, and wonder if just crosshairs would be enough, as I'm in my senior years.

#9 Jon Isaacs  Happy Birthday!

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 21 February 2020 - 11:08 PM

Are non-illuminated crosshairs used easily?  I've been thinking of getting one, and I like the idea of no batteries.  I would use it primarily on my 5" Mak.  But I sadly have the typical suburban sky, and wonder if just crosshairs would be enough, as I'm in my senior years.

Non-illuminated crosshairs are more easily seen under light polluted skies than under dark skies.  What would you be using the eyepiece for?  Aligning the GOTO?

One trick in aligning a GOTO mount is one that astrophotographers used to use.  Defocus the bright star until it nearly fills the field of view.  Center the defocused image.  High power eyepieces work best.

Jon

• Jaimo! likes this

#10 hoof

hoof

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Monroe, WA

Posted 22 February 2020 - 01:39 PM

Non illuminated reticle eyepieces can be used when targetting stars. Defocus the star a bunch and the reticle is silhouetted against the star disc, and if there’s an obstruction hole it’s even easier to align. I did this for 15 years before I got my latest 80mm finder that came with an illuminated eyepiece.
  • Jaimo! likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics