•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CPWI and SkySafari

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Skylab

• ****-
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Waltham, MA

Posted 20 February 2020 - 11:44 PM

Will Skysafari work with CPWI? I have a remote controlled Nexstar 6SE and 8SE proof of concept telescope that can be remotely controlled by WiFi at my house. I align the telescope with CPWI and image with SharpCap 3.2 Pro. CPWI database does not allow me to search out obscure and otherwise non-listed deep sky objects. SkySafari has an extended list of UGC, PGC, MGC galaxies, all kinds of named and obscure planetary nebula and more. Will SkySafari work with CPWI and let me interface with the telescope?

#2 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Author of The NexStar Users Guide

• Vendors

Posted 21 February 2020 - 12:41 AM

Hi David,

Which SkySafari do you mean?  As far as I know it is only available for Android, iOS and macOS.  CPWI only runs on Windows.

A couple of possible answers to your questions:

Pretty much any planetarium app that states it works with ASCOM will be able to interface with CPWI.

It is possible to use SkySafari on Android/iOS to interface with any ASCOM capable control system (like CPWI) by using something called WiFi Scope as a bridge:

http://mainsequencesoftware.com

I haven't tried WiFi Scope myself but I can see the potential.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
https://www.NexStarSite.com

Edited by Michael_Swanson, 21 February 2020 - 01:23 AM.

• outofsight likes this

#3 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Gemini

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 21 February 2020 - 01:28 AM

Hi David, 

When I saw your diagram in another thread I wondered about the significance of the tablet. I hesitated to respond in case you knew something that I didn't. But the general rule of thumb with Celestron mounts is that you can only use one scope control device, be that hand controller or tablet/SkySafari or Laptop/CPWI.

As Mike suggests, if disappointed with the database of CPWI there are other alternatives such as Stellarium or Cartes Du Ceil. But to be fair to Celestron, I reckon CPWI remains work in progress and it will surely increase the database to mirror the Nexstar + HC when it has ironed out all its other (now trivial) warts. Join TeamCelestron to follow  its progress.  But CPWI is already great compared to the previous clunky NextRemote Windows PC option.

In the interim, what I do is use SkySafari/Tablet (off line to scope) to identify my target. If the chosen target is then not in the CPWI database I GoTo the nearest star, then star hop the last leg.  For this, it helps that I use Hyperstar at f/2 which offers a huge FOV. It might be a tad more challenging with lesser focal reduction. A 9 x 50 RACI finderscope can also assist. 

RAC16 (Richard) used Carts Du Ceil and can tell you more about its capabilities. There are plenty of Stellarium enthusiasts, As Mike said, via ASCOM there are many options, but I don't think it easy (or even feasible) to align with one control device/software,  then handover to another combination. So unless it is required for another purpose the tablet in the diagram isn't required.

Edited by Noah4x4, 21 February 2020 - 01:29 AM.

• sandconp likes this

#4 ButterFly

ButterFly

Viking 1

Posted 21 February 2020 - 02:45 AM

CPWI sends out a virtual com port.  That needs to be turned into a wifi signal for your phone/tablet to connect to.  If WiFi Scope doesn't work, you will have to battle the steep learning curve of com0com.  The downside is that your computer has to broadcast a wifi signal, so it can't connect to the internet.

If your computer already has internet, CPWI lets you search SIMBAD from the online search tab in the "Find Target" box.  The only things that SIMBAD specifically excludes are solar system objects.  Get your asteroids and comets elsewhere, but for anything else that a SkySafari list pulls up, just do an online search for its identifier and have CPWI go there.  SkySafari has a very nice search feature, so it's understandable why you would want to do this.

#5 donstim

donstim

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle Area, WA USA

Posted 21 February 2020 - 12:22 PM

Hi David,

The answer is yes; that is exactly what I do sometimes, including last night. Although you can also use the online search for objects in the SIMBAD database using CPWI, it is often just easier to use SkySafari, especially if you have put the object in a SkySafari observing list. To use SkySafari in conjunction with CPWI, you need to download and use the WIFI scope software Mike mentioned. Follow the instructions provided for WIFI scope -- set the mount to CPWI and select 'GO." For SkySafari, in the settings, set the telescope to "Meade LX200 Classic," and input the IP Address and Port Number shown in the WIFI scope window. Then select "Connect" in SkySafari. Now you can use either CPWI or SkySafari for your GOTOs.

I've had issues with the WIFI scope connection to CPWI dropping off, causing me to have to close WIFI scope, reconnect it to CPWI, and reconnect SkySafari to WIFI scope. Lately, I have been using the CPWI ver 2.3.4 beta 3 from the teamcelestron site, and these connection issues appear to have gone away. I don't know if the newer version of CPWI somehow fixed it or I've just been lucky the last couple of nights, but the connection issues can be frustrating enough at times to not want to use SkySafari GOTOs.

• bdyer22 and descott12 like this

#6 roelb

roelb

Apollo

• Loc: Belgium, Antwerp

Posted 21 February 2020 - 12:26 PM

Using Stellarium you can download a bunge of [obscure] objects. With latest version you can connect directly via ASCOM. Using POTH you can even connect multiple planetary softwares at the same time each of which can command the scope.

#7 sandconp

sandconp

Ranger 4

• Loc: Minnesota USA

Posted 21 February 2020 - 04:43 PM

I use Stellarium with  CPWI and it works very well.  If I choose to use Sky Safari with my IPad, I generally use my SkyFi 3 device to provide me WiFi access to control the scope.  CPWI is a good program but it lacks a number of objects that Stellarium and Sky Safari offers.  I can do the alignment with CPWI and then use Stellarium from there to get to a large database.

i have also used COMTCP  $30  if I want to use WIFi without plugging into the bottom of the hand control using Stellarium but I have had issues with the connection dropping on the lower COM port numbers.

#8 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Gemini

Posted 21 February 2020 - 06:02 PM

If I understand this correctly, you guys are saying that you can align using CPWI, then allow SkySafari to take over full Slew and GoTo control via (say) 'WiFi Scope' using a tablet. I guess this is because both depend on ASCOM, but it is the first I have read about this. Is this assumption correct?

If so, this radically changes the paradigm, as you can't routinely interchange (say) HC and Skysafari/Tablet or CPWI and HC. But if CPWI on a laptop and an ASCOM based alternative on a tablet can be used in parallel (once aligned), that might be very useful as it means that one can now have a portable control device in proximity to scope. 

If the tablet is then connected to Scope side computer on which CPWI is also running, I can see how that need not interfere with the RDP control. If the scope will then respond to an ASCOM GoTo command from either device, then great. All sounds amazing in theory, but has it been reliable? I have found CPWI a bit flaky over WiFi. I am using a third generation SkyPortal external WiFi accessory that is merely two feet from Scope side computer and yet I still suffer occasional drop outs. Celestron using 2.4 Ghz isn't ideal.

#9 donstim

donstim

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 21 February 2020 - 07:22 PM

Yes, your assumption is correct. I also sometimes use the HC for slewing as well when I'm at the scope (as well as slewing from within SharpCap), but of course a "GoTo" from the HC would be a no-no. From a post I made back on May 20, 2019, what I do is:

1. Turn on the scope

2  Start CPWI and align with CPWI while connected to the Evolution's WiFi.  The hand controller can be used to slew the scope to the alignment stars.

3. Start SharpCap and connect to the mount via "CPWI" in the SharpCap hardware settings for the mount.

4. Start WiFiScope and connect it to CPWI as the mount.

5. Start SkySafari and connect it to WiFiScope [with the telescope set to "Meade LX200 Classic," and the IP Address and Port Number shown in the WIFI scope window].

I can then select and goto objects using either SkySafari or CPWI and plate solve using SharpCap.

Rarely have I had a problem with my network and the Evolution's Wifi. I did notice some issues with the USB3 cable position one time when using the ZWO ASI 224, but haven't had any issues when using the ZWO ASI 294MC. The connection between WiFi scope and CPWI has been flaky at times, but for the last 3 nights (first clear nights in months), I did not experience any of those connection problems. I had updated CPWI to the latest beta version, so I'm hoping that was it and the WiFi scope connection problems are gone forever. 

Oh and yes, CPWI, SharpCap, and WiFi scope are all running on the laptop at the scope. I am using SkySafari on a Samsung Galaxy S8 either also at the scope or in my office when it's time to do everything from inside. I happen to use TeamViewer as my connection between my desktop computer in my office and the laptop at the scope.

Edited by donstim, 21 February 2020 - 07:23 PM.

• Stargazer3236 and outofsight like this

#10 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Skylab

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 21 February 2020 - 09:06 PM

Yes, your assumption is correct. I also sometimes use the HC for slewing as well when I'm at the scope (as well as slewing from within SharpCap), but of course a "GoTo" from the HC would be a no-no. From a post I made back on May 20, 2019, what I do is:

1. Turn on the scope

2  Start CPWI and align with CPWI while connected to the Evolution's WiFi.  The hand controller can be used to slew the scope to the alignment stars.

3. Start SharpCap and connect to the mount via "CPWI" in the SharpCap hardware settings for the mount.

4. Start WiFiScope and connect it to CPWI as the mount.

5. Start SkySafari and connect it to WiFiScope [with the telescope set to "Meade LX200 Classic," and the IP Address and Port Number shown in the WIFI scope window].

I can then select and goto objects using either SkySafari or CPWI and plate solve using SharpCap.

Rarely have I had a problem with my network and the Evolution's Wifi. I did notice some issues with the USB3 cable position one time when using the ZWO ASI 224, but haven't had any issues when using the ZWO ASI 294MC. The connection between WiFi scope and CPWI has been flaky at times, but for the last 3 nights (first clear nights in months), I did not experience any of those connection problems. I had updated CPWI to the latest beta version, so I'm hoping that was it and the WiFi scope connection problems are gone forever. 

Oh and yes, CPWI, SharpCap, and WiFi scope are all running on the laptop at the scope. I am using SkySafari on a Samsung Galaxy S8 either also at the scope or in my office when it's time to do everything from inside. I happen to use TeamViewer as my connection between my desktop computer in my office and the laptop at the scope.

I tried to connect to my Skyportal WiFi Dongle, but the computer did not recognize the WiFi (Skyportal) device. I went to via Hand Control and it connected, but I lost the ability to use the hand control buttons. I am going to install Starsense as soon as I get my Tax return, but that isn't for another few weeks.

My setup is as follows:

Start computer scope

Start laptop

Connect to the PC at the scope using RDP on the laptop

Connect PC at the scope to LAN and Skyportal WiFi

Start up CPWI

Align the scope in CPWI using the control panel on the scope PC using CPWI

Start up SharpCap and Focus camera using SharpCap while at the scope

Go inside the house and start slewing to intended object

Start imaging using ASI294MC camera at scope, using laptop as dummy terminal

I also have PHD2 and PlateSolve 2, so I might be using those if I can figure out how to use them. I also figured out that I can enter target coordinates manually in the GoTo screen, but I need to learn the format first. I know the RA/DEC coordinates, it is just that the coordinates being entered need to be in a specific format.

That's what I did on Wednesday night when I had a spurt of energy to set up outside and run a test to see if I could in fact run everything from inside the house. And it worked!

Now, I plan on getting Starsense hooked up to the mount/scope, to make my alignments automatic and foolproof and also getting a Focus motor to the scope as well. I am trying to find the least complicated solution. I found out that I can run the ZWO EAF using a 3D printed adapter I found on the internet, but I am concerned that the adapter will stick out too far and that the EAF will ping the battery cover on the scope if I go to full vertical. I can live with nearly vertical, if the EAF works with my scope. I just wait for the object in question to leave the meridian area.

#11 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Gemini

Posted 22 February 2020 - 01:53 AM

Interesting (post #9). I thought I had encountered every WiFi opportunity and frustration having started with flaky early Celestron WiFi, struggled through second and third generation, and eventually tamed my devices by using a local 5GHz WAN. But this dual controller innovation is genuinely ground-breaking. Well done chaps!

Don't want to be negative, but it seems reliant upon scope, tablet and  scope computer all being in harmony. I have noticed that whilst my PC and tablet take <time > from the Internet, they can be 40 seconds different as regards changeover to the next minute. I hence take <time> for CPWI from my SkySync GPS that can differ again. I guess with a small FOV any <time> discrepancy might cause a GoTo accuracy nuisance. But as I use Hyperstar that has an huge FOV, I must give this a try. I love Cloudy Nights, gives me stuff to dabble with on cloudy nights!

#12 donstim

donstim

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 February 2020 - 03:37 AM

I tried to connect to my Skyportal WiFi Dongle, but the computer did not recognize the WiFi (Skyportal) device. I went to via Hand Control and it connected, but I lost the ability to use the hand control buttons. I am going to install Starsense as soon as I get my Tax return, but that isn't for another few weeks.

My setup is as follows:

Start computer scope

Start laptop

Connect to the PC at the scope using RDP on the laptop

Connect PC at the scope to LAN and Skyportal WiFi

Start up CPWI

Align the scope in CPWI using the control panel on the scope PC using CPWI

Start up SharpCap and Focus camera using SharpCap while at the scope

Go inside the house and start slewing to intended object

Start imaging using ASI294MC camera at scope, using laptop as dummy terminal

Sorry, I guess I'm not following you. Earlier, I thought you said you connected CPWI to your scope via WiFi and wanted to know if SkySafari will work with CPWI to do GoTos. It will do that, but you need to have the free WiFi Scope program in order to act as a bridge between SkySafari and CPWI. Once you have CPWI connected to your scope, start WiFi Scope. Select CPWI for the mount.  This will allow it to work directly through the CPWI connection. In SkySafari set the telescope type to Meade LX-200 Classic regardless of what type of scope you have. Set the IP address and port to match what is in WiFi Scope. Then select connect to your telescope on SkySafari.  From that point on, you can control your scope with either CPWI or SkySafari.

Interesting (post #9). I thought I had encountered every WiFi opportunity and frustration having started with flaky early Celestron WiFi, struggled through second and third generation, and eventually tamed my devices by using a local 5GHz WAN. But this dual controller innovation is genuinely ground-breaking. Well done chaps!

Don't want to be negative, but it seems reliant upon scope, tablet and  scope computer all being in harmony. I have noticed that whilst my PC and tablet take <time > from the Internet, they can be 40 seconds different as regards changeover to the next minute. I hence take <time> for CPWI from my SkySync GPS that can differ again. I guess with a small FOV any <time> discrepancy might cause a GoTo accuracy nuisance. But as I use Hyperstar that has an huge FOV, I must give this a try. I love Cloudy Nights, gives me stuff to dabble with on cloudy nights!

I have an Evolution mount with second generation WiFi. It seems to mesh very well with my home network even though my Netgear router is on the other side of the house from my telescope setup area. I use a laptop at the scope with CPWI to send commands to the mount. I don't see where it would matter if the GoTo command were delayed in some manner in getting to that laptop as the command from the laptop would be sent to the mount using the appropriate mount model and time from the laptop, not from my "control" computer in my office, or the Samsung phone in the case of using SkySafari. Is WiFi command of an Evolution mount through CPWI different than using SkySync?

Regardless of whether I am using CPWI directly on the laptop at the mount or through TeamViewer on my desktop computer in my office, the appropriate commands are sent to the mount with no affect on GoTo accuracy. Even if there were a significant delay in TeamViewer sending the command to the laptop, the effect would be the same as if I took a second or two longer to hit "GoTo" in CPWI after selecting the target, i.e., no effect. It's the same with using SkySafari to issue the GoTo since it is sending it through CPWI. I always do a SharpCap plate solve after issuing a GoTo, but if I have a good alignment (which I normally do), I find that after it syncs and moves the mount, it pretty much settles on the same image I had before plate solving.

I had another night without WiFi scope disconnects from CPWI tonight (knock on wood). If you are going to try this, I recommend using the latest CPWI beta version from Team Celestron.

#13 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Gemini

Posted 22 February 2020 - 04:44 AM

I use an Intel NUC merely two feet from the SkyPortal dongle then use my 5Ghz WiFi to control NUC from indoors via RDP.

My experience with first, second and third generation Celestron WiFi is range can be extremely short. But this can be attributable to a weak home network. My brick house has metal foil covered internal insulation. It’s been a nightmare putting together a MESH WiFi system that works. But eventually got there with extra powered extender/relay disks.

#14 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Skylab

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 23 February 2020 - 03:44 PM

I set up a WiFi extender, not far from the home router, which the mini computer and laptop computer are both about 20 feet from it. My <time> is nearly instantaneous, so no lag from either computer when I am imaging.

#15 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Skylab

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 23 February 2020 - 04:06 PM

Using Stellarium you can download a bunge of [obscure] objects. With latest version you can connect directly via ASCOM. Using POTH you can even connect multiple planetary softwares at the same time each of which can command the scope.

Do I need to have Stellarium scope installed to be able to run my telescope through Stellarium? I thought I might, so I downloaded it and installed it.

What is POTH and how do I use it?

#16 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Skylab

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 23 February 2020 - 04:30 PM

OK, I did a dirty alignment on my CPWI controlled scope indoors. I successfully searched SIMBAD for coordinates of a few objects. I was interested in Abell 12, a planetary nebula in Orion, but when I went to goto that object, CPWI thought I meant the Galaxy group Abell 12. Therefore I went online and searched for the PK designation (Perek Kohoutek) and copied that designation and pasted into SIMBAD and it went right to the location of the Planetary nebula. Now I have another database for finding obscure objects not found in the CPWI database, which only has the Messier's and NGC objects. No Index Catalog, no Abell objects, no PGC or UGC galaxies. They should include them in any future updates.

#17 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Gemini

Posted 24 February 2020 - 04:06 AM

Do I need to have Stellarium scope installed to be able to run my telescope through Stellarium? I thought I might, so I downloaded it and installed it.

POTH is explained here. See https://ascom-standa...g/FAQs/POTH.htm

If embracing only Celestron CPWI it won't be relevant as Celestron HC and software are already prior matched. However, if embracing other control devices/software it might be useful.

Sorry, I don't use Stellarium. Tried it, didn't like it. Prefer SkySafari and now CPWI, albeit I agree the latter is limited as regards available preset GoTo targets. That will be resolved once all else is complete as CPWI is still work in progress. It is well worth joining TeamCelestron to keep abreast of its latest developments.However, I quite like 'star hopping' from the closest (CPWI) listed target, but realise a narrow FOV might make that more challlenging.

• Stargazer3236 likes this

#18 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Skylab

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 24 February 2020 - 03:02 PM

POTH is explained here. See https://ascom-standa...g/FAQs/POTH.htm

If embracing only Celestron CPWI it won't be relevant as Celestron HC and software are already prior matched. However, if embracing other control devices/software it might be useful.

Sorry, I don't use Stellarium. Tried it, didn't like it. Prefer SkySafari and now CPWI, albeit I agree the latter is limited as regards available preset GoTo targets. That will be resolved once all else is complete as CPWI is still work in progress. It is well worth joining TeamCelestron to keep abreast of its latest developments.However, I quite like 'star hopping' from the closest (CPWI) listed target, but realise a narrow FOV might make that more challlenging.

On Saturday night, while imaging planetary nebula, I wanted to look at Abell 33 in Hydra. SIMBAD had no idea what it was. I plugged in Abell 33 and then plugged in its PK designation and still nothing. I resorted to looking at the CPWI map and located a star near where it was located (the Star was designated HR, as opposed to HD which most of the stars in Skysafari are designated). So, I slewed for a couple of minutes until I came to the starfield and happened to find it just by starhopping on a goto mount. I am still trying to find out how to sync my iPad with Skysafari to my Celestron Nexstar SE mount. I cannot get WiFi scope to work, even though I tried. Any other solutions?

#19 ButterFly

ButterFly

Viking 1

Posted 24 February 2020 - 06:14 PM

OK, I did a dirty alignment on my CPWI controlled scope indoors. I successfully searched SIMBAD for coordinates of a few objects. I was interested in Abell 12, a planetary nebula in Orion, but when I went to goto that object, CPWI thought I meant the Galaxy group Abell 12. Therefore I went online and searched for the PK designation (Perek Kohoutek) and copied that designation and pasted into SIMBAD and it went right to the location of the Planetary nebula. Now I have another database for finding obscure objects not found in the CPWI database, which only has the Messier's and NGC objects. No Index Catalog, no Abell objects, no PGC or UGC galaxies. They should include them in any future updates.

The Abell planetaries are A66 # (ie A66 12).  Just Abell is the galaxy cluster catalog.  SIMBAD speak is awful in its utter precision.  I have had to fight the dictionary of nomenclature quite a few times.  Searching for the other designations is a great short circuit I often resort to in rage.

Native support for, or at least the ability to add, other catalogs would be great in CPWI.  I did notice yesterday that you can just type in RA/Dec into the boxes (J2000.0).  That was helpful yesterday.

#20 ButterFly

ButterFly

Viking 1

Posted 24 February 2020 - 06:17 PM

They put native ASCOM support into Stellarium in the last update.  You don't need StellariumScope anymore.  Choose CPWI instead of Nexstar when going through CPWI.  Choose Nexstar when not using CPWI, but aligning with the handcontroller.  For either, pick epoch of the day instead of J2000.0.

#21 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Skylab

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 24 February 2020 - 10:32 PM

They put native ASCOM support into Stellarium in the last update.  You don't need StellariumScope anymore.  Choose CPWI instead of Nexstar when going through CPWI.  Choose Nexstar when not using CPWI, but aligning with the handcontroller.  For either, pick epoch of the day instead of J2000.0.

I did a dummy align in CPWI and trying to connect Stellarium to the telescope. In Stellarium I am trying "External Software" and "ASCOM" but not getting any connecting results.

Edit: I managed to connect through the Direct connect Serial port connection on COM3 through USB.

But now, I cannot get the telescope to slew to anything when I press CTRL+1

Edited by Stargazer3236, 24 February 2020 - 10:37 PM.

#22 donstim

donstim

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 24 February 2020 - 10:42 PM

I cannot get WiFi scope to work, even though I tried. 

I would like to try to help with this. Where does it fail? Did it offer "CPWI" as the mount, and did you select it? What happens when you click "Listen?"

You should have a wifiscope log file in you Documents folder. Can you post that here?

#23 donstim

donstim

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 24 February 2020 - 10:46 PM

I did a dummy align in CPWI and trying to connect Stellarium to the telescope. In Stellarium I am trying "External Software" and "ASCOM" but not getting any connecting results.

Edit: I managed to connect through the Direct connect Serial port connection on COM3 through USB.

Your issues with Stellarium may be the same as with Sky Safari through WiFi scope. In both cases, if you align with CPWI, you need to connect Stellarium or WiFi scope to CPWI, not directly to the mount.

#24 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Skylab

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 24 February 2020 - 11:36 PM

OK. After learning what the nomenclature is on SIMBAD to find various planetary nebula, I am confident that the next time I go out, I can find the obscure planetary nebula I love to find and image.

#25 ButterFly

ButterFly

Viking 1

Posted 25 February 2020 - 06:50 PM

For CPWI, I used the radio buttons: ASCOM; JNow; and, let ASCOM device decide.  Then I used the choose ASCOM telescope button to pick CPWI from the dialog box.  I have never tried a keyboard shortcut for slews.  I use the Current Object then Slew buttons.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics