•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Finally ordered my first telescope and rig

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 djr5899

djr5899

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Florida

Posted 21 February 2020 - 12:55 AM

A little over a year ago in January 2019, I got a Canon M50 Mirrorless camera as a gift.  This was my first ever DSLR type camera, and, after a few weeks of crash courses on photography, learning the camera, learning about exposure/f-stops/etc, I was immediately drawn to learning more about astrophotography.  After a few more months, I bought a tri-pod and a 75-300mm lens as well as 50mm prime lens to be able to take a little more wider range of photos.  Living in South Florida, there aren't a lot of close dark sites (or any true dark sites), but this summer I managed to get what was for me, a great photo of the Milky Way, with the previous mentioned equipment.  I was definitely hooked.

This week, after several months of saving up, as well as watching countless YouTube videos and reading a lot of information on this site, I finally placed an order for my first astrophotography rig, a mix of what I liked and what was affordable for me after 6 plus months of saving:

• WO Zenithstar 73
  • WO Flat 73A Field Flattener
  • WO 50mm Guide scope
  • iOptron SmartEQ Pro mount
  • ZWO Mini Monochrome Camera
  • WO Smartphone adapter (including 25mm SWAN eyepiece)
  • Canon T-ring Adapter

Now will come the long, excruciating wait for components to arrive, since I am well aware that most of the William Optics components are on a severe back-order.  I'm hoping to have everything but the field flattener by mid-March, and would be happy if the Flattener arrives by the end of April. I'm also hoping to save up enough money over the next month to buy a good light pollution filter, so I can do a bit more imaging from my house instead of 30-60 minute drives to the closest "dark sites" to me.  I also realize that a lot of this stuff isn't exactly beginner level, but I'm looking forward to doing my first polar alignment, figuring out auto-guiding, image stacking, different software, and, oh yeah, taking some really awesome pictures and seeing a bunch of DSO I've never seen before.

• GlenM, pugliano, GalaxyPiper and 1 other like this

#2 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 21 February 2020 - 07:41 AM

Well done at taking that magnificent first step into the money pit that is astrophotography!

I can recommend a very good LPR filter the Astronomik CCD filter it is very good but can give a slightly yellowish cast that can easily be corrected in post processing. Another very good filter for a colour OSC camera is the Optolong LE enhance which will allow the capture of HA & OIII data. This can considerably help with the reduction of gradients which are the stalwart of light polluted skies.

Good luck with your new found addiction and the forum is great place to get all the help you will need.

• nemo129 and djr5899 like this

#3 Huangdi

Huangdi

Mariner 2

Posted 21 February 2020 - 08:18 AM

Nice rig, I hope you'll enjoy learning with it! I would only recommend to take those 30-60min trips to a dark site as soon as you have figured out how to get good data.

It's worth it!

• djr5899 likes this

#4 djr5899

djr5899

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 February 2020 - 09:53 PM

Well done at taking that magnificent first step into the money pit that is astrophotography!

I can recommend a very good LPR filter the Astronomik CCD filter it is very good but can give a slightly yellowish cast that can easily be corrected in post processing. Another very good filter for a colour OSC camera is the Optolong LE enhance which will allow the capture of HA & OIII data. This can considerably help with the reduction of gradients which are the stalwart of light polluted skies.

Good luck with your new found addiction and the forum is great place to get all the help you will need.

I've been looking at the IDAS LPS-D2

#5 Kevin Ross

Kevin Ross

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Traverse City, MI

Posted 21 February 2020 - 11:49 PM

I think you'll have a lot of fun with that setup. Congrats!

Since you will be autoguidung, have you decided on a computer and software for acquisition?

Edited by Kevin Ross, 21 February 2020 - 11:50 PM.

#6 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 22 February 2020 - 05:44 AM

I've been looking at the IDAS LPS-D2

I have an earlier IDAS filter and they are also very good. However a lot of filters were designed to remove the high pressure sodium lights. The newer IDAS is geared toward the new LED Lights but the jury is out as to how effective that can be as it is broadband light. These filters are a fair investment so if I were you I would do some research by reading reviews and if anybody who is a forum member has a certain filter on their signature equipment list send them a PM to get their opinion on how the filter is performing under their sky conditions. You can also ask a supplier for a test and return if the filter of your choice does not meet expectations.

• djr5899 likes this

#7 djr5899

djr5899

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 February 2020 - 10:40 AM

I think you'll have a lot of fun with that setup. Congrats!

Since you will be autoguidung, have you decided on a computer and software for acquisition?

I'll probably be looking at Backyard EOS since I own a Canon camera, and PHD for the autoguiding.  From what I have read, they work pretty well together.

• 17.5Dob likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics