•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What could I be doing wrong with phd

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Suresh

Suresh

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: South India

Posted 21 February 2020 - 01:35 AM

Hello friends ,
It’s been a long time since I’ve posted here . Ive been into AP for a long time . Recently I started using Samyang 135 mm lens with qhy183 M( 3asp) and for guiding I use hour lodestar with guidescope( 9 asp ) . Mount is AP Mach 1 which has a PE of 1 arc second . I guide with phd (native settings of aggression 100/ hysterisis 10 . I’m polar aligned with 1 arc min . I calibrate and then run guiding assistant for 5 minutes and accept settings . Star is chosen via auto select . My balance is slightly east heavy ( not required as it’s spring loaded ). I usually start imaging an hour before crossing meridian using the flip .my problem is I get pin point stars till it just crosses meridian , but as the stars set towards the west I’m noticing an east west drift . I’ve also tried without guding and the drift is not seen . You may ask me why am I guiding in the first place . My doubt is if phd is taking control or overdoing it . I know I must send the logs , but just looking for advice from seniors. My seeing is about 1.5-2 arc seconds .is the difference in asp between the guiding scope of 3:1 causing this ? Thanks
Thanks

Edited by Suresh, 21 February 2020 - 02:21 AM.

#2 jerahian

jerahian

Viking 1

• Loc: Maine

Posted 21 February 2020 - 01:55 AM

Side-to-side flexure with your guide scope?

#3 Suresh

Suresh

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 February 2020 - 02:11 AM

Side-to-side flexure with your guide scope?

Nearly impossible as the whole setup is rigid

#4 ButterFly

ButterFly

Viking 1

Posted 21 February 2020 - 04:12 AM

What are the minimum motion settings?  It's sounding like oscillations as you chase seeing.

#5 Suresh

Suresh

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 February 2020 - 04:50 AM

It’s 0.10 but as per the guiding assistant on a day to day basis so some variation will be there

#6 Madratter

Madratter

Voyager 1

Posted 21 February 2020 - 08:43 AM

You may not believe flexure, but it is differential flexure, almost for sure. Blink through a series of subs where you are seeing the problem and report what you are seeing.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics