•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Edge HD8+ASI 1600 w. reducer back focus 160 mm. Can it be correct?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lemmu

lemmu

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: 59'29N

Posted 21 February 2020 - 04:32 AM

According Celestron the back focus should be around 105. mm. I'm achieving focus at 160 mm with spacers. Can it be right? Does anyone else has the same back focus? Check the pic  IMGP4405.JPG . Opinions appreciated.

#2 sharkmelley

sharkmelley

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: UK

Posted 21 February 2020 - 05:05 AM

I notice this is your first post - welcome to Cloudy Nights!

No doubt there is a wide range of spacings where you can achieve focus but only one spacing (i.e. 105mm) will give you the specified 0.7x reduction.  For best results use the reducer at the specified spacing.

Also, 160mm is quite extreme - I assume you are trying to focus on stars or an object many miles away and you are not making the mistake of testing focus on an object much closer?

Mark

Edited by sharkmelley, 21 February 2020 - 06:05 AM.

#3 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 21 February 2020 - 06:54 AM

Achieving focus is different from achieving focus at the optimal result for field flatness and round star images. There is a significant difference on the edge optics if you go further out than the prescribed recommended distance. Celestron did not say you can't go further out but your results could vary from mediocre to really bad.

Not so bad for visual but very bad for a CCD or CMOS sensor that expects a flat field.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics