•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Barlow for lunar astrophotography on small refractor?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sonauer

Sonauer

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 February 2020 - 12:41 PM

Hello everyone, I've used this forum plenty of times to improve my astrophotography but this is my first time posting! So first of all thank you very much.

I have an Orion 80ED, Celestron AVX mount, Orion mini deluxe autoguider package and a modified Canon 3Ti. I use my equipment mostly for DSO. I have also taken pictures of the moon and I was thinking maybe I could improve these using a barlow between my scope and my DSLR. My question is, since the Orion 80ED is only 600mm (FL), a 2x or 3x barlow still wont provide enough magnification to photograph much detail of the moon. Is it possible to use a 5x barlow on a scope like mine, to take pictures of the moon? Will the image be clear enough?

I ask this because I know the use of barlow for magnification has its limits, specially with small apertures and focal lengh like mines. So will this be a problem even with a bright moon and doing astrophotography? Is this a good idea? If not, how can I estimate or calculate the max barlow I should use before the image is worthless?

Thank you very much for your help.

#2 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 21 February 2020 - 02:07 PM

I did it with an 80ED and a 3X.  It worked OK, not great.

• Sonauer likes this

#3 Sonauer

Sonauer

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 February 2020 - 06:53 PM

Thank you for your answer, if I may ask, in what way not great? I'm new to this. Do you think using a 5x will be pushing it too much?

#4 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 24 February 2020 - 02:53 PM

Thank you for your answer, if I may ask, in what way not great? I'm new to this. Do you think using a 5x will be pushing it too much?

I wouldn't go 5X, unless your seeing is routinely excellent.   My image was not as sharp as I hoped, probably a combination of seeing and only 80mm.  Still worthwhile.

#5 KLWalsh

KLWalsh

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Georgia, USA

Posted 24 February 2020 - 07:34 PM

I think if you do the calculation, for a Canon 3Ti and an 80 mm aperture, Nyquist sampling would imply a focal length of around 1200 for maximum resolution, which you’d get with a 2X barlow. Maybe on a superb night you’d get a bit more detail with a 3X barlow.
You’d want to shoot a high resolution video, then do image stacking with RegiStax or AutoStakkert.
  • bobzeq25 likes this

#6 Sonauer

Sonauer

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 February 2020 - 12:50 PM

Thank you both, I'll go max 3x then, probably 2x since skies here are not the best.

• bobzeq25 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics