•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Platesolving issues with NINA

astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 csridgway

csridgway

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 February 2020 - 01:10 PM

Hey all!  I've been experiencing an intermittent, but aggravating issue with platesolving in NINA.  Most of the time it works fine, but sometimes the image it takes has a bit of star trails so the solve process fails.  The problem with this is that as soon as it is done, whether success or failure, NINA starts the imaging sequence.  It's driving me nuts.  I don't see anywhere in the settings to allow for a delay from the time the mount stops slewing to when it should attempt to take the plate solve picture.  I think that would cure the issue.  It also annoys me that it doesn't attempt to take a new picture to solve if the first one fails.  Any experience with this?  Or know of any work arounds?  I'm using ASTAP with NINA for solving.

Chris

#2 csridgway

csridgway

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 February 2020 - 01:52 PM

Found a possible solution on the NINA site.  Apparently there is a setting for adjusting settle time after a slew.  I thought it had to do with dithering, but I guess I'm going to change the setting there and see what happens.  It seemed to solve the problem for the handful of other folks experiencing this issue.

#3 happylimpet

happylimpet

Skylab

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 21 February 2020 - 02:28 PM

Yup, thats it, settle time after slew. Ihad mine at 7secs but just changed it to 10.

It drives me mad too. The stupid thing is that when it fails, it just retries with the same image, doesnt try to take a new image, which would work in this situation.

You know about the discord forum? Perfect for raising issues like this, though yours, perhaps not, as you have the cure!

https://bitbucket.or...sues?watching=1

• csridgway likes this

#4 OldManSky

OldManSky

Gemini

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 23 February 2020 - 12:46 AM

In addition to the settle time, there's also a setting for how many attempts to make at platesolving (how many images to take and try to solve).  It's in the settings section for platesolving where you choose your platesolver.  I have mine set to 2, so it will take another image and try again in case of (rare) failure, and before falling back to the blind solver (astrometry.net online).

• happylimpet and csridgway like this

#5 csridgway

csridgway

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 February 2020 - 01:16 AM

Thanks! Found it.

Chris

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics