•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Need help deciding which 8" reflector to buy

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#26 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 23 February 2020 - 07:02 AM

Ok, now we know you are not a newbie.

Get the F5 8". You will figure out the mount.
  • BFaucett and Augustus like this

#27 MrRoberts

MrRoberts

Viking 1

• Loc: Barrington, Illinois (60010)

Posted 23 February 2020 - 09:24 AM

I have 2 options for my G&G. Although I have used my 80mm with the TWL1 mount, it is usually loafed on my CEM25P. My C-6XLT is really the great performer on this mount.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0491-2.JPG
  • IMG_0539-3.jpg

#28 LDW47

LDW47

Soyuz

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 23 February 2020 - 10:36 AM

Well, again, thanks for the input. If modding is required, I'll mod it. I have to say, once upon a time I went to a star party where a certain amateur astronomer lacking in what could be called social or communication skills thought much too highly of himself and was very off putting. Not just about the hobby, but of other's beliefs, secular or religious. He thought himself clever, really he was just an **** who drove people away.

I don't discount the experience of any one posting, but I'm not entirely new to this hobby. I think perhaps some of the comments here reflect the arrogance of hobbyists that can be so alienating to those new to the hobby. Luckily, I'm not new to this hobby. No need for anyone to soften comments that were created and posted, not for my benefit, but because some people like the sound of their own voice more than actually coming up with helpful alternatives or solutions. Maybe a different mount will be chosen or maybe I'll go back to to the 8" scope and build my own mount and tripod. I am not without build skills and might surprise some here. I have more conversations to have with sales reps, so if I end up going with different equipment, then I end up going with  different equipment. Whatever I decide on, I'll be sure to report back .

Ultimately, it's been a while and and I just couldn't find the old pages I used to go to for determining best focal speed for viewing based on a scope size I'm unfamiliar with. That question was answered with the first response to my post and confirmed with the second. So again, Thank you all for your comments; most were genuinely kind hearted and helpful, the few that weren't, were entertaining. Wishing all my fellow star gazers clear, dark skies-

So you have noticed too how a simple question, a simple query can expand, can grow into something beyond simple, beyond the intended $ budget, can leave the confines of our planet ! All because many can’t think, or don’t want to think small or simple or what is being asked, it happens all the time !  Clear Skies brother astronomer and welcome to the world of today, as you probably have already learned !

Edited by LDW47, 23 February 2020 - 10:42 AM.

#29 GoFish

GoFish

Vanguard

• Loc: Kentucky / Colorado

Posted 23 February 2020 - 10:57 AM

I, for one, really hope the OP finds a portable alt-az mount solution for the 6” reflector, and shares the result here. I would be right behind him/her buying one. 

#30 CrazyPanda

CrazyPanda

Vanguard

Posted 23 February 2020 - 11:06 AM

"If you aren't doing AP I don't know why you'd want to buy an f/4 Newtonian that has likely inferior optics, de facto requires a coma corrector, costs more and will go on an awkward and heavy equatorial mount. Get a Dob."

I will be getting a 12 inch dob. This 8" reflector will be my travel scope. Thank you for your comments, but I am not looking for why you would or would not choose this type of scope or a different scope, just which would be better for viewing of these two. It would be greatly appreciated if comments were limited to this answer. Thanks.

Also, I will using a Alt-Azimuth , not an equitorial for this scope.

"It would be greatly appreciated if comments were limited to this answer."

To defend Augustus, it's quite common for people to ask about which scope is better of a given set, and often times the answer is "neither", and in this case I think that rings true.

The best 8" dob on an alt-az mount you can get is an 8" F/6 dobsonian. The lower center of gravity of the rocker box will be a lot more stable per unit of its own weight, than a tripod mounted alt-az head. And the whole setup is going to be cheaper, and you will have less coma to deal with.

An 8" F/6 tube and rocker box is going to be just as portable (if not more so), than an 8" F/4 or 8" F/5 newt + alt-az tripod, and will definitely be cheaper.

Now, to be fair, a good quality alt-az tripod will let you swap out different scopes in the future, but if your primary goal is to have an 8" scope to travel with, a typical 8" F/6 dob is going to be your best bet.

Edited by CrazyPanda, 23 February 2020 - 12:29 PM.

• Augustus likes this

#31 gene 4181

gene 4181

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: n.e. ohio

Posted 23 February 2020 - 11:40 AM

I, for one, really hope the OP finds a portable alt-az mount solution for the 6” reflector, and shares the result here. I would be right behind him/her buying one. 

The Orion Versago 2 , 13  LBS.   or the slightly  more expensive ( Canada)  and heavier    SW AZ -4   holds a 6in f5 very nicely.  The AZ 4 hold my Orion  150 mm mak rock solid .

• Auburn80 and GoFish like this

#32 Auburn80

Auburn80

Apollo

Posted 23 February 2020 - 12:17 PM

So you have noticed too how a simple question, a simple query can expand, can grow into something beyond simple, beyond the intended $ budget, can leave the confines of our planet ! All because many can’t think, or don’t want to think small or simple or what is being asked, it happens all the time ! Clear Skies brother astronomer and welcome to the world of today, as you probably have already learned !

Except it is not uncommon for ones question to not be as simple as first presented. The OP had decided beforehand that he wanted an 8" newt without thinking through what kind of mount would be required. Then, after input from others stated a 6" might be a better solution to his stated needs for portability and mount requirements. The recommendations were indeed for a smaller and simpler scope which would need a smaller and simpler mount. And less expensive. A more expensive (but even smaller) suggestion was maybe a 6" sct.
Best of luck to the OP; he now has others personal experiences to help him decide.
  • LDW47 and Augustus like this

#33 LDW47

LDW47

Soyuz

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 23 February 2020 - 12:42 PM

Except it is not uncommon for ones question to not be as simple as first presented. The OP had decided beforehand that he wanted an 8" newt without thinking through what kind of mount would be required. Then, after input from others stated a 6" might be a better solution to his stated needs for portability and mount requirements. The recommendations were indeed for a smaller and simpler scope which would need a smaller and simpler mount. And less expensive. A more expensive (but even smaller) suggestion was maybe a 6" sct.
Best of luck to the OP; he now has others personal experiences to help him decide.

Just my thoughts, based on my interpretation of the posters comments in relation to the original post ! I could be wrong again ?  Clear Skies all !

#34 rhetfield

rhetfield

Messenger

• Loc: Suburban Chicago, IL, USA

Posted 28 February 2020 - 05:02 PM

Though the decision may have already been made, the OP might consider that the AWB Onesky 130mm/F5 is only 1" less in aperture than the 6" tubes, collapses to 14", weighs only 7 lbs and has a vixen dovetail.  Makes it a lot more portable and easier to find a travel mount.

#35 CrazyPanda

CrazyPanda

Vanguard

Posted 28 February 2020 - 05:05 PM

Though the decision may have already been made, the OP might consider that the AWB Onesky 130mm/F5 is only 1" less in aperture than the 6" tubes, collapses to 14", weighs only 7 lbs and has a vixen dovetail.  Makes it a lot more portable and easier to find a travel mount.

I really dislike this scope. Helical focuser that's a pain to use unless all your eyepieces are parfocal, and you MUST take the time to build a light shroud for it if you want good contrast, and to keep dew off the secondary.

The Zhumell Z130 is the same price, but a solid tube and rack and pinion focuser. No-brainer IMO.

#36 dmgriff

dmgriff

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: 30 degrees latitude, USA

Posted 29 February 2020 - 08:28 AM

I have a TPO(GSO) 6in f/6 ota on a Vixen Porta II. Stock single speed focuser with a Borg # 4317 1.25in rotating helical and #7316 insert. Some jitters, but,with the slomos and the Borg helical (smooth,sensitive to the touch), that helps on vibration, and makes the setup usable for my needs.

DSC00174 (2)

A 6in f/6 is the best 4.5in f/8! f=900mm for both.

Also, I have a AWB 130mm f/5 on a NexStar GT mount, nice combo. Fits the GT because the ota is collapsible and lightweight.

DSC00179 (2)

Both are g&g, travel scopes (in my Dodge Caravan, stow and go), and make a nice duo.

Good viewing,

Dave

Edited by dmgriff, 29 February 2020 - 09:14 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics