•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Abercrombie & Fitch 313AF- My First Telescope

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 woodwindfanatic

woodwindfanatic

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Racine, WI

Posted 21 February 2020 - 04:43 PM

Just bought my very first telescope (I'm 66 years old, probably entering on a second childhood).  At any rate, it's an Abercrombie & Fitch 313AF, which I understand to be a Jason 313 in different clothes.  It's in very nice condition, and best of all it cost me all of $10.00.  If it doesn't serve any other purpose, It has gotten me bitten by the vintage telescope bug.

At any rate, the quality to my untrained eye seems to be pretty decent, with the exception of certain cost cutting measures, most notably on the tripod.  Why in the world would a manufacturer take a nice hardwood and paint it?!!!  Especially this hideous shade of dark chocolate brown!  Anyway, as part of the cleanup, I am in the process of stripping, sanding and refinishing the wood, which appears to be mahogany (until all the brown paint is close to gone, it's hard to tell).  If I can figure out how to post photos, I will do so for anyone who is interested.

• cookjaiii, Defenderslideguitar and AstroKerr like this

#2 Migwan

Migwan

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Meeechigan

Posted 21 February 2020 - 06:09 PM

Yes and please to pics.  Don't know, but would guess that it was painted by former owner.   jd

• ShaulaB likes this

#3 cookjaiii

cookjaiii

Viking 1

• Loc: Southeast PA

Posted 21 February 2020 - 06:32 PM

The Jason 313 is reputed to have excellent optics.  It should give you very good views of the Moon and planets.  It is  a bit limited by the small 60mm aperture, especially if you live near a lot of light pollution, but with practice, you should be able to see plenty of the brighter Messier objects.  

Enjoy your second childhood.  This is a great hobby and that telescope should give you many hours of pleasure.

• grif 678 likes this

#4 AstroKerr

AstroKerr

Apollo

Posted 22 February 2020 - 05:09 AM

The Jason 313 is reputed to have excellent optics.  It should give you very good views of the Moon and planets.  It is  a bit limited by the small 60mm aperture, especially if you live near a lot of light pollution, but with practice, you should be able to see plenty of the brighter Messier objects.  

Enjoy your second childhood.  This is a great hobby and that telescope should give you many hours of pleasure.

You are in for years of pleasure from that scope, I'd wager.  Got 3. 1st was a reflex (because it looked cool) - it rocked, but the reflexer was a pain (stuck a lot during alignment), so I got the 2nd reflexer to compare. Disassembled them both & found no differences, so new grease, etc, now both reflexers work smooth. Saw a regular finder model, got that for comparison. Easier to align the finder but it's straight thru so that one borrows a 6x30 90° or RDF (Scopehed / Telescope Warehouse sells both) sometimes.  Ended up blackening all three just because I was on that kick - they didn't really need it - contrast was fine as received, but it didn't hurt.

They were/are all, optically, peaches out of the box. I expected one underperformer out of the three - never happened. A&F, far as TLJ & I have experienced, just did paint / graphic changes - no component respecs; that was the case with a few Jason Comet Chasers and Mercury 319s -  same everything except paint / graphics - they don't do anything better or worse so you're good in that respect.. 

A&F scopes are a fine choice if the std / orig version is a fine choice - and 313s are.  Ya did excellent for $10 - Congrats!!

Edited by AstroKerr, 22 February 2020 - 05:13 AM.

#5 woodwindfanatic

woodwindfanatic

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Racine, WI

Posted 22 February 2020 - 08:55 AM

Thank you, everyone, for your your kind words of encouragement!

#6 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Vanguard

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 22 February 2020 - 12:25 PM

welcome aboard 

I had one of these Jasons back in 1982ish   it had good views 

I left it at my ex girlfriend's father's cottage in Ludlow Vermont after I moved to an 8 inch sct   he was a good guy   and he enjoyed the Jason     

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 22 February 2020 - 12:33 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics