•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

PHD2 on Mac - Win or Native?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 HeliAv8r

HeliAv8r

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Temecula, CA

Posted 21 February 2020 - 05:06 PM

I'm just starting out and trying to keep the costs low for now so no new laptop at this point.  Besides, I'm still not sure what I want in the long run (ASIAir Pro, StellarMate, or PC).

I have an older MacBook Pro (Mid 2009) running OS X El Capitan.  I'm going to start with this for now.

I have Parrallels 14, running Windows 10 64-bit because APT does not have a Mac version.

My question is if I should install PHD2 in the same Win 10 instance and run both apps from there or would it be better (if even possible) to run PHD2 natively on the Mac while still running APT via Parrallels?

I'm pretty sure that native PHD2 (in MacOS) would generally be better and if I didn't need APT for image capture from my Nikon DSLR; that is to say if I ran only Mac apps, then I would have my answer.  I know I could "buy" AstroDSLR but I'd like to stick with APT.

Since I'm already running Parrallels and that instance is consuming most of the system resources, maybe it's better to have both in Win10.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Dave

#2 D_talley

D_talley

Soyuz

• Loc: Albuquerque, New Mexico

Posted 21 February 2020 - 11:08 PM

I have an older Mac Pro at one telescope. It is running Windows 10 with bootcamp. Bypass Mac OS completely.  Since you have Windows 10 already that is what I would do and not worry about the systems resources being consumed by Parallels. So far everything is running well.  

#3 Lead_Weight

Lead_Weight

Apollo

• Loc: Houston

Posted 22 February 2020 - 01:55 PM

I'm just starting out and trying to keep the costs low for now so no new laptop at this point.  Besides, I'm still not sure what I want in the long run (ASIAir Pro, StellarMate, or PC).

I have an older MacBook Pro (Mid 2009) running OS X El Capitan.  I'm going to start with this for now.

I have Parrallels 14, running Windows 10 64-bit because APT does not have a Mac version.

My question is if I should install PHD2 in the same Win 10 instance and run both apps from there or would it be better (if even possible) to run PHD2 natively on the Mac while still running APT via Parrallels?

I'm pretty sure that native PHD2 (in MacOS) would generally be better and if I didn't need APT for image capture from my Nikon DSLR; that is to say if I ran only Mac apps, then I would have my answer.  I know I could "buy" AstroDSLR but I'd like to stick with APT.

Since I'm already running Parrallels and that instance is consuming most of the system resources, maybe it's better to have both in Win10.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Dave,

The closest thing on the Mac to APT is AstroDSLR as I think you've seen. When you get more comfortable with your setup, you might try experimenting with some of the Mac apps. KStars/EKOS is what I use, and it's very full featured, though would require you to learn some new software. However, it's free, and would involve nothing but your time. You can always try setting up an equipment profile and see how it controls your gear inside, before you ever take it outdoors for actual use. It also works with the built in guiding software, or with PHD2.

Regards,

Andrew

#4 HeliAv8r

HeliAv8r

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Temecula, CA

Posted 23 February 2020 - 02:12 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Dwight, I think you're right.  I'll run the apps in Parallels and not split the resources between the 2 operating systems.

Andrew, you have good suggestions for which apps to use and I may look into those in the future; I understand Kstars/ekos is used in Stellarmate which is one future option I'm considering.  As I was researching apps for Mac, I did come across some of your posts and you've provided good insight.  However, my question was not really about app selection.  I apologize if I was not clear.  I am wondering if there is a resource or performance hit if I were to run the apps in 2 operating systems or is it better if they all ran together in the virtual Windows instance (regardless of which specific apps I run).  I do appreciate your input though.

I know that Parallels will take control of some CPU, memory, and disk resources but I wonder how USB ports will be controlled.  If I were to use both Mac (for guiding) & Windows (for Imaging) simultaneously would the USB drivers conflict? Could I use 1 USB port in the OS X instance and another in the Win 10 instance?  Even if I could, would it be more efficient to run both in Windows?  At the moment, this is rhetorical,.  I will attempt to run both guiding and image capture from the Windows instance and see how that plays out. 

Thank you,

Dave

#5 Lead_Weight

Lead_Weight

Apollo

• Loc: Houston

Posted 23 February 2020 - 03:26 PM

Any time you’re virtualizing an OS, you’ll be working with a subset of the available power and resources . Running multiple apps in that virtualized environment will be more taxing. Let’s say all things being equal between virtualized OS and the native OS the native is would give your programs 100% access to ram and cpu power, the virtualized OS would be some percent less than whatever you are running in the native OS. So say you ran nothing on Mac OS, the virtual environment has access to about 80% of your resources. Then let’s say you load up a few Mac apps, now your virtualized environment has lost resources from the Mac environment, maybe it’s now got access to 60% of your resources.

#6 D_talley

D_talley

Soyuz

• Loc: Albuquerque, New Mexico

Posted 23 February 2020 - 08:22 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Dwight, I think you're right.  I'll run the apps in Parallels and not split the resources between the 2 operating systems.

Thank you,

Dave

I think you misunderstood. I do not use parallels, too much system resources used. I  use Bootcamp and run Windows 10 directly on your Mac. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics