•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

80ed-worth the effort?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Brian Schmidt

Brian Schmidt

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Dallas, GA

Posted 21 February 2020 - 06:05 PM

I’ve been using my 80ed on an exos 2 mount that I acquired used for the last couple of years.  This is my first refractor, and eq mount as far as that goes after being a Newtonian dob visual observer for the last 30 years or so. 

I was wondering what equipment I would need to connect my Nikon d3400 crop frame dslr to this and if it would even be worth my effort in doing so to try to get some night sky photos.  The 80 Ed is a pretty small scope and my understanding is the exos 2 is pretty much a beginner entry level eq mount.  

• zakry3323 likes this

#2 zakry3323

zakry3323

Apollo

• Loc: Pittsburgh

Posted 21 February 2020 - 06:18 PM

My experience has been that ED80's are an absolutely fantastic OTA for beginning astrophotography. I may be a little biased, since that was my first photography-refractor. There will be some star bloat, but that shouldn't stop you from seeing if photography is something you want to pursue. One suggestion- do get the dedicated reducer/flattener. It will give you a wider FOV on your crop sensor and give you nice round stars from edge to edge. Other than that, you may find that you may eventually want to upgrade the focuser if you're using the stock crayford.  

Edited by zakry3323, 21 February 2020 - 06:19 PM.

#3 aa5te

aa5te

Genial Procrastinator

• Loc: Clinton, TN

Posted 21 February 2020 - 06:30 PM

If you go here, you'll see a ton of images shot with an 80ED, and a substantial percentage were with DSLRs:

https://www.astrobin...ging_telescopes

#4 Bean614

Bean614

Viking 1

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 21 February 2020 - 06:50 PM

What zakry said, all of it!!!

#5 Brian Schmidt

Brian Schmidt

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Dallas, GA

Posted 21 February 2020 - 08:06 PM

Ok cool.  Thanks for the advise.  Would you guys say that I need a dedicated astronomy dslr and tracking scope or just get the adapter, and field flattened for my Nikon d 3400 to start off.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics