•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mount for Skywatcher 130 PDS

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 patricko2

patricko2

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 February 2020 - 06:47 PM

As a newbie I'd appreciate advice on a suitable mount for my Skywatcher 130 PDS   

www.opticalvision.co.uk/astronomical_telescopes-sky-watcher-dual-speed_parabolic_telescopes/explorer-130pds_ota.html

I'm mainly interested in visually observing; not planning AP at present. I'm presently using some 7x50 binoculars and will add the 130 to observe in more detail. My garden is really terrible for observing with lots of overhanging trees and bad light pollution. So I'm in need of a grab and go solution to take to a darker location.

After doing some research the Skywatcher AZ4 or AZ5 seem good and I can put it on a sturdy photography tripod I already own. However, I wondered if an equatorial mount (EQ5?) might be better to keep the object within view?

Any advice much appreciated.

#2 vtornado

vtornado

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Northern Illinois

Posted 22 February 2020 - 12:44 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I assume you live in the UK based upon the link.

I have the Skywatcher heritage 130, which I assume is about the same length and weight as your

scope. 

This scope mounts well on a explore scientific TW1, or vixen porta mount.

I'm sure it will mount well on the AZ4 (which is available in the states) and the AZ5

which is not.  I have heard good things about the AZ4, but do not own one.

The AZ5 will be heavier, but it has slow motion controls which is good for tracking at high power.

I have the CG4 which in your parlance is the EQ5.  This scope will work well on this mount  too.

If you set up and move your scope through a large arc of sky, the eyepiece will be pointed in

a weird direction which will require you to twist the scope in the rings.  An EQ mount is

even heavier due to the counter weight.

The EQ might be better for public viewing because you could motorize it and the object would

stay centered in the eyepiece.

If you are viewing by yourself, or with one other person, In my opinion a mount with slow motion controls is plenty adequate to track at high power with this scope.

• izar187 and patricko2 like this

#3 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 February 2020 - 01:29 PM

I have the AZ4. Nice mount but probably a little overkill for a 5” newt. A twilight I or Porta II will be lighter and have slo mo.
  • patricko2 likes this

#4 Hesiod

Hesiod

Soyuz

Posted 22 February 2020 - 01:58 PM

Manual alt/az are nice for the little Newt (I have used mine sometimes with a Porta mount).
If want an autotracking, manual mount may look also to the eq3, which is smaller and lighter than the eq5 but still up to the job (for visual).
Take note that the same mount can be "turned" into an alt/az with little effort
  • mrsjeff and patricko2 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics