•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Naglers-only session last night

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• ****-
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 22 February 2020 - 12:18 AM

Long curious about it, I picked up a $200 20T5 recently as luckily for me it came with a barrel ding. Having long thought a Nagler set got 2nd hand makes the best and smartest high performance, mid-range cost kit and now having 31, 20, 13, 5, 3.5 and 2.5mm fl's it seemed like time to test that out from the dark site with the 16" Starmaster.

The short story is no observation made (or missed!) last night could have been much (or likely any) better made by swapping an Ethos into the focuser.

The 1st light for the 20T5 showed pure and clear E-F Trap stars before it was much dark at all. From Messier open clusters in Auriga and Gemini to reflection nebulae in Monoceros (N2245, 2247, 2261 and IC446) all the boxes were checked. NGC2158 was clear near M35 in the 20mm's FOV with good colorful stars showing well in M37 and others. Large and small irregular galaxy pair NGC2366 with its super star cluster/H-II knot and little NGC2363 floating off the end was well displayed via 13 and 5mm.

But the most fun was NGC2680/NGC2679 that appear as 2 Gx with unequally bright cores in a common halo. But N2680 is a double star and the mission was to split it. I took it up to 839x with the 2.5T6 without success and decided to pull out the 3.7 and 4.7 Ethos to test this whole concept but they too failed just as the more modest Naglers had.

I don't think they are THE BEST, #1 CHAMPION eyepieces in the world. But I think for most of us, our gear and our habits it would take some powerful argument to convince me there was an observing task we are capable of that they are not.

• turtle86, Astrojensen, eros312 and 8 others like this

#2 Miranda2525

Miranda2525

Vanguard

Posted 22 February 2020 - 01:11 AM

20mm T5 is one of the sharpest of the T5 Naglers. Great to see you had such a wonderful night out and a good first light on such an awesome eyepiece. Wishing you many more star-filled nights!

#3 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 22 February 2020 - 02:51 AM

One could do a lot worse than having an eyepiece case filled only with Nagler eyepieces. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

• Jon Isaacs, payner, eros312 and 4 others like this

#4 greenstars3

greenstars3

Ranger 4

• Loc: Wind River valley

Posted 22 February 2020 - 03:17 AM

Havasman stated:

"I don't think they are THE BEST, #1 CHAMPION eyepieces in the world. But I think for most of us, our gear and our habits it would take some powerful argument to convince me there was an observing task we are capable of that they are not."

I would add that the TV line mostly falls in that category . Of the eyepieces in my box most are TV from Plossls, Panoptics, Radians, Delites and Naglers (the Delites are better than the Radians but not enough to justify replacing them ).

While not denigrating any ones choices I am happy with mine. (will get some Taks and maybe some Brandons in the future) 

Robert  

#5 John Huntley

John Huntley

Vanguard

• Loc: SW England

Posted 22 February 2020 - 10:37 AM

Naglers are fine eyepieces. I used to have all the T6's, a 22mm T4, the 16, 20mm and 31mm T5's and enjoyed them all very much for a number of years.

I had the T1's and T2's before those and was similarly satisfied with them, until I tried the later versions.

My only Nagler now is the 31mm T5 though. Over time I found that I slightly preferred Pentax XW, Ethos and Delos performance over the Naglers though the differences were very small.

If I'd stuck with Naglers I'm sure I would have still been a happy observer though smile.gif

Edited by John Huntley, 22 February 2020 - 10:38 AM.

• havasman and oldphysics like this

#6 iKMN

iKMN

Viking 1

• Loc: South Florida

Posted 02 March 2020 - 05:18 PM

Long story but I had to sell my Ethos set to help pay for Hurricane Irma damage...seems like a long time ago. Anyway got back on my feet with ES eyepieces which I enjoyed for many Astro seasons. Recently I started to get back in the game with some more upgraded scopes and decided to change my eyepieces to Naglers. I am very happy with them. I have 31, 17T4, 13,9,7 and want to get the 5mm and 3.5 - I love them.
  • payner, eros312 and havasman like this

#7 turtle86

turtle86

Mr. Coffee

Posted 02 March 2020 - 06:22 PM

Long curious about it, I picked up a $200 20T5 recently as luckily for me it came with a barrel ding. Having long thought a Nagler set got 2nd hand makes the best and smartest high performance, mid-range cost kit and now having 31, 20, 13, 5, 3.5 and 2.5mm fl's it seemed like time to test that out from the dark site with the 16" Starmaster.

The short story is no observation made (or missed!) last night could have been much (or likely any) better made by swapping an Ethos into the focuser.

The 1st light for the 20T5 showed pure and clear E-F Trap stars before it was much dark at all. From Messier open clusters in Auriga and Gemini to reflection nebulae in Monoceros (N2245, 2247, 2261 and IC446) all the boxes were checked. NGC2158 was clear near M35 in the 20mm's FOV with good colorful stars showing well in M37 and others. Large and small irregular galaxy pair NGC2366 with its super star cluster/H-II knot and little NGC2363 floating off the end was well displayed via 13 and 5mm.

But the most fun was NGC2680/NGC2679 that appear as 2 Gx with unequally bright cores in a common halo. But N2680 is a double star and the mission was to split it. I took it up to 839x with the 2.5T6 without success and decided to pull out the 3.7 and 4.7 Ethos to test this whole concept but they too failed just as the more modest Naglers had.

I don't think they are THE BEST, #1 CHAMPION eyepieces in the world. But I think for most of us, our gear and our habits it would take some powerful argument to convince me there was an observing task we are capable of that they are not.

The 20 T5 is a wonderful eyepiece, and very sharp like the 16 T5, which I still have.

#8 Astro-Master

Astro-Master

Viking 1

• Loc: San Diego County,Ca.

Posted 02 March 2020 - 09:35 PM

Sounds like a great observing session, and you weren't even cursed with clouds on first light.  I have a 25 year old 20mm Nagler T2 I got for my 25th anniversary, and I once did a quick comparison with a 20mm T5, and thought the T2 had a flatter field at the edge, but the T5 had better coatings and a slightly brighter image.

Call me crazy, but I reach for my 17 and 13 Ethos first, and then for my AP convertible barlow 1.6x to 2.5x if I need more power.

M51 with the 13 Ethos barlowed to 280x frames the galaxy perfect, and keeps it in the FOV much longer than a Nagler.  Big Dobs. and Ethos eyepieces were made for each other IMHO.

Clear Skies to all, its Galaxy season.  waytogo.gif 

#9 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 03 March 2020 - 08:37 AM

I have the complete set of T-6 Naglers minus the 2.5mm as well as the 16mm T-5 and the 31mm.  Plus a few Ethos and Panoptics.  

Some nights I basically use all 1.25 inch eyepieces, the 22mm Panoptic plus the 1.25 inch Naglers.  They are sharp eyepieces and except for the 22mm Pan, parfocal.  They are also compact, the Naglers weigh about 8 ounces.  It makes for a simple, enjoyable night.  

I had the 20mm, 16mm and 12mm T-2s plus the 7mm and 4.8mm T-1s.  Sharp eyepieces but probably the coatings were not quite as good though my 12mm T-2 was a newer eyepiece seemed quite bright.  

I did like the 20mm Type 2 but when the 21mm Ethos arrived, there wasn't anything the Type 2 could do that the Ethos couldn't do better and the Ethos was lighter.. 

Jon

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics