•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Anyone got Orion Atlas II EQ-G ?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kel123

kel123

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 February 2020 - 01:04 AM

It has been more than four months since this mount was introduced into the market. All my efforts around the internet to find a review has been futile.

All that is available is an overview by the Orion guy on YouTube. And all he really told us about was what we already knew about the Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro.

I want to believe that this mount is already shipping as I saw it in stock on a handful of retailers' sites. Although, some retailers listed it as back ordered. Someone somewhere has to have taken delivery of the mount.

I was wondering if anyone here already has that mount or has seen a review somewhere. I am curious about the performance of the mount because of a couple subtle differences from its Skywatcher twin.

Apparently, the Atlas II EQ-G is Orion's copy of the Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro but I notice a few differences, unlike standard skywatcher/orion copies which are exactly carbon copies . These differences could be cosmetic but it can also have an impact in performance.

While the polar axis assembly of the EQ6-R Pro is cylindrical, that of the
Orion Atlas II EQ-G is box shaped. Hence, there is a slight difference in the handles and I think the Atlas is more egornomic. Atleast from the pictures.

The significant difference I notice from the specs is that the Atlas weighs 2 lbs more than the EQ6-R Pro. There has to be a reason for this.

The Atlas also has more latitude allowance as it can be used from 3-65 degrees of latitude. As you know the EQ6-R Pro goes from 5-65 degrees. Could it be the cosmetic changes in the polar axis assembly that makes this possible or perhaps even the EQ6-R Pro is capable of going down to 3 degrees latitude? I am always sensitive to specs on latitude ranges of mounts because most times, I observe and image at low latitudes.

I have a hunch that the Orion Atlas II EQ-G will marginally outperform the EQ6-R Pro . The weight difference has to count for something. But I can be wrong.

#2 Scoobs231

Scoobs231

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: UK

Posted 22 February 2020 - 07:37 AM

Interesting differences!  I agree the polar axis assembly definitely looks different in shape from the videos I've seen.  A rare exception perhaps from the usual white=Skywatcher, black=Orion rule?

#3 kel123

kel123

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 February 2020 - 10:59 AM

Interesting differences! I agree the polar axis assembly definitely looks different in shape from the videos I've seen. A rare exception perhaps from the usual white=Skywatcher, black=Orion rule?

Sure. And that extra weight.

#4 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 22 February 2020 - 03:27 PM

This is one of the stranger things that Synta has done recently.  I have yet to have an Atlas II in hand, but I don't seen any indication that there are anything other than cosmetic differences.  I think that the EQ6-R looks nicer.  Other than the RA axis housing, everything looks identical and handles on both mounts look fine.  It's certainly nice to have one where they never did before (goodness knows why it has taken them this long).  Balance wise, the handle is not in the best place but there is nowhere else to put it and with two hands it is very helpful. 

As far as the weight difference goes, Synta tends to be so sloppy with specs like that I wouldn't be surprised if there is either no significant difference or the RA housing configuration ends up being slightly heavier in one mount than the other.  Looking at the two mounts, I an not particularly surprised that the Altas II RA housing weighs more than the EQ6-R.

The latitude difference might be related to the shape of the RA but I would also question this measurement.

I see absolutely nothing to suggest that there would be any difference in performance of these two mounts and I am completely positive that there are no internal differences.

The only differences here are the color, parts availability, and quality of support.

#5 kel123

kel123

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 February 2020 - 04:25 PM

This is one of the stranger things that Synta has done recently.  I have yet to have an Atlas II in hand, but I don't seen any indication that there are anything other than cosmetic differences.  I think that the EQ6-R looks nicer.  Other than the RA axis housing, everything looks identical and handles on both mounts look fine.  It's certainly nice to have one where they never did before (goodness knows why it has taken them this long).  Balance wise, the handle is not in the best place but there is nowhere else to put it and with two hands it is very helpful. 

As far as the weight difference goes, Synta tends to be so sloppy with specs like that I wouldn't be surprised if there is either no significant difference or the RA housing configuration ends up being slightly heavier in one mount than the other.  Looking at the two mounts, I an not particularly surprised that the Altas II RA housing weighs more than the EQ6-R.

The latitude difference might be related to the shape of the RA but I would also question this measurement.

I see absolutely nothing to suggest that there would be any difference in performance of these two mounts and I am completely positive that there are no internal differences.

The only differences here are the color, parts availability, and quality of support.

I was thinking too that it was the housing that added that weight but I feel that 2 lbs is significant. But then, you may be right about sloppiness in specs.

I have also not seeing anything significant enough to bring about a difference in the latitude range. That was why I suggested that either EQ6-R can also go down to 3 degrees or the Atlas also has a lower limit of the 5 degrees. 

#6 OldManSky

OldManSky

Gemini

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 22 February 2020 - 10:33 PM

...and warranty.  The Orion is 1-year, the Skywatcher is 2 years.  Hmm.

Plus Skywatcher's is transferable to a new owner, Orion's is not.

And Skywatcher will sell/provide parts to any owner -- Orion will only sell them to the original owner.

• EFT and Xeroid like this

#7 EFT

EFT

• Vendors

Posted 23 February 2020 - 09:27 PM

...and warranty.  The Orion is 1-year, the Skywatcher is 2 years.  Hmm.

Plus Skywatcher's is transferable to a new owner, Orion's is not.

And Skywatcher will sell/provide parts to any owner -- Orion will only sell them to the original owner.

This cannot be emphasized enough.

• OldManSky likes this

#8 kel123

kel123

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 February 2020 - 10:12 PM

This cannot be emphasized enough.

And it seems they don't care.
  • OldManSky likes this

#9 kel123

kel123

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 February 2020 - 11:39 PM

Hi Ed

Isn't it possible that Synta tried to eliminate this chronic belt tension issues that the EQ6-R suffers?

Isn't it possible that there was a kind of redesign of the belt configuration and belt system , hence the added weight and new housing shape?

I wouldn't see why they won't want to find a solution to that issue in another incarnation of the mount through another brand.

#10 EFT

EFT

• Vendors

Posted 24 February 2020 - 12:25 PM

Is certainly isn't impossible, but I would put my money on them not having done so since the motor housing looks identical and they have never been one to make internal changes in mounts of similar ages.  

I don't think that there is a chronic problem with the belts.  They just require different maintenance than the spur gear drives do.  Belt replacements will eventually be necessary whereas spur gears don't, but at the same time, spur gears need to be removed and cleaned occasionally where belts don't.  Removing and cleaning the spur gears is a much bigger job than removing and replacing a belt.

• OldManSky and kel123 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics