•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Can an HEQ 5 handle?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 nmaletto

nmaletto

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 February 2020 - 07:47 AM

I am looking for opinions on whether an HEQ 5 mount properly balanced can handle this telescope for astrophotography. It is an upgrade im looking toward for the future.
https://www.highpoin...strograph-08297

Edited by nmaletto, 22 February 2020 - 07:49 AM.

#2 ThatsMyCoffee

ThatsMyCoffee

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Czech Republic

Posted 22 February 2020 - 08:24 AM

Yes, but you'll have to remember two things:

-The weight of the OTA is not everything.  You need to add the camera, adapter tubes, rings, OAG? and cables.  You might still be under max weight, but it will be close.  

-If there is any wind, you may go over the limit.  A tube this big will act like a sail and you'll get vibrations that will blur the images.

If you are serious about this OTA, it may be OK, but I'd consider the EQ6-R.

#3 MrRoberts

MrRoberts

Viking 1

• Loc: Barrington, Illinois

Posted 22 February 2020 - 08:37 AM

I am an Ioptron user, but have heard many good things about the SW series of mounts.

Although the HEQ 5 can probably handle the ota in question visually, if you are really serious about ap with that ota  you may want to consider their EQ6-R. 

#4 nmaletto

nmaletto

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 February 2020 - 08:39 AM

Yes, but you'll have to remember two things:

-The weight of the OTA is not everything. You need to add the camera, adapter tubes, rings, OAG? and cables. You might still be under max weight, but it will be close.

-If there is any wind, you may go over the limit. A tube this big will act like a sail and you'll get vibrations that will blur the images.

If you are serious about this OTA, it may be OK, but I'd consider the EQ6-R.

So I'd be better off sticking with the 6 inch version of this ota?

#5 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 22 February 2020 - 08:42 AM

Barely acceptable for AP.  Better off with something in the next class (up) as it might otherwise lead to frustration.

#6 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 22 February 2020 - 08:43 AM

So I'd be better off sticking with the 6 inch version of this ota?

IMO yes.   You will also get more FOV/area (using the same CCD./Camera but of course it will also take a little longer to get the same subs (as the 8").

#7 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 22 February 2020 - 10:35 AM

Appears to be rated at 12Kg for imaging, so around the 25lb mark.

Scope is 17.5lb and the assorted items like a camera, rings, even the finder will bring it towards 20lb.

So you are getting close to a maximum, and if guiding were present or as a future expansion that would be at or over the recommended maximum.

Will say the HEQ5 is probably capable of more, may have been specified as more at one stage a few years ago. One day Skywatcher released new capacities and they were lower. Literally Friday 25lb, Monday 20lb - same mount. FLO here had to change their recommendations, people with a "changed" mount were now unsure.

Main problem of the scope is the physical size, breeze and wind will cost a lot of frames expecially if you try for longer exposures. If you have agust in a 4 minute exposure it is all lost, if a gust in two 2 minute expoxures then one is lost. In effect the longer the exposure the greater a chance of some problem.

Darkframe put this together EQPerformance

Might be worth reading through, although be aware it is to hightlight their product over the standard.

#8 nmaletto

nmaletto

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 February 2020 - 04:49 AM

In addition to that, if i wanted to move into galaxy photography later on would the heq 5 handle a C6?

#9 rishigarrod

rishigarrod

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 23 February 2020 - 05:14 AM

I have an EdgeHD 8 on my HEQ5 Pro. I did go for an OAG in order not to add too much weight.

The mount seems to handle this setup without any problems. I have replaced the default saddle, it did not feel solid enough for the EdgeHD 8 or the Esprit 100. I put an ADM dual saddle on it and now it feels very solid.

I have done the Rowan belt mod and added an iPolar polarscope. With these mods I find this mount to be exceptionally capable, light enough to move around, able to take exposures of any length (that my bortle 8 sky's will allow) and very quick to setup.

Edited by rishigarrod, 23 February 2020 - 06:06 AM.

• nmaletto likes this

#10 ThatsMyCoffee

ThatsMyCoffee

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Czech Republic

Posted 23 February 2020 - 06:09 AM

In addition to that, if i wanted to move into galaxy photography later on would the heq 5 handle a C6?

If you're in ANY doubt...just buy the bigger mount.

• eros312 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics